Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KrissyB
Reel Rookie

Re: Only sound and no picture

Hi @RokuLianna — As I noted in my first post, I have done all those things.  Shall I return this particular Roku Express & hope for better luck with a replacement?

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

@KrissyB 

Appreciate the reply.

Please provide us with the following information for further investigation:

1. Roku device model, Serial number, Device ID, Software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  2. Does this issue occur on a specific channel? If so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
  3. Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID)
  4. Steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

With more information, we will be able to assist you further.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Denette
Channel Surfer

I have the same issue and my Roku tv is fairly new, less than a year old. I am attempting to power tv on and can hear that it’s on, but there is no sound. I can hear the button clicking which is how I know it’s powered on, but I can’t hear anything. Please don’t ask for model number as I can not see anything in the settings! I can’t see anything! Can anyone help!!??

0 Kudos
Denette
Channel Surfer

My apologies I meant no picture. Sound but no picture on my roku tv

0 Kudos
RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Hello @Denette

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

If you are having an issue with your Roku TV screen going black but can still hear the audio, customers have reported that unplugging your device for 5-10 minutes and then plugging the Roku TV back in resolves the issue.

Hope you'll find this info useful. Let us know in case you've still got any questions.

Regards,
Karla

0 Kudos
westner
Roku Guru

I had a similar problem a while ago with my TCL-Roku TV - sound but no picture. I don't know if it will work for Roku devices that attach to TV's.

• unplug the power chord to the TV
  • press and hold the ON/OFF switch on the TV for 15-20 seconds
  • plug in the TV power chord
  • turn the TV on using the remote

Apparently there is a buildup of static electricity somewhere in the circuit. Pressing the ON/OFF switch, while not connected to power, drains this static and returns things back to normal.

It worked for me and I hope it will work for you. 

0 Kudos
BaxterX
Reel Rookie

Ok so this wasn’t happening at all for the first few months of owning my new Roku Express 4K purchased in August. Then it started a month ago. Power cycling didn’t work for me. Roku is up to date. 

I have a fix that works for me. It’s an awful fix. I have a 720p tv btw.  When I turn the unit on *every time* I have to go to Settings -> Display type, set to 1080P TV. Press yes I can see the image. Then, set it back to 720p. Then I can watch a video.

RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Hi @BaxterX

Thanks for your post. 

Sorry to hear about the issue you are experiencing with your Roku TV. As requested by @RokuKariza-D above, kindly provide us with the following information for further investigation:

1. Roku device model, Serial number, Device ID, Software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  2. Does this issue occur on a specific channel? If so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
  3. Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID)
  4. Steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Keep us posted with the details and we will be able to assist you further.

Regards,
Nimfa

0 Kudos
JD83
Binge Watcher

Ok yall. We MIGHT have a fix!! We shall see. I just chatted with a rep and he had me do the following steps. Once I was done with him I went to my apps without unplugging the roku and it works. For today at leaat! Fingers crossed this fixes it for good! Do each step below and let us know how it goes! 

Btw. Even though system update had been just checked once I went to network settings and put in my password again. I then all of a sudden has 2 uodates to do.. not sure if concidence or not. Also, #4 i had to click on "power" it wasnt listed under where I was told. 

Screenshot_20230210_181043_Chrome.jpg

0 Kudos
Jorn
Reel Rookie

I tried this but it still did it. But I was missing a part so I will try again and follow your steps

thank you

0 Kudos