Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Re: Only sound and no picture

Hi @KrissyB,

Thanks for reaching out to the Roku community!

We understand that you are encountering issues with attempting to stream channels on your Roku Express device. May I ask how your Roku device is being powered? Is it connected to the USB port of the television or to an electrical wall outlet? In some cases, the USB power provided by the TV is not sufficient to power the device. Even though your Roku device may appear to be working, running with insufficient power can lead to instability, crashing, and other unpredictable behavior.

It seems that you have already tried to factory reset and still did not help. Kindly keep us posted with the detail requested above and include the serial number of your Roku device so we can look further. To get this, go to Settings > System > About.

Regards,
Nimfa

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

@JD83 

We sincerely regret the inconvenience you are facing and would like to assure you that we are here to help. It appears that you have recently engaged with our Support team. To effectively resolve the issue you are facing, we advise you to continue working with them as they are best equipped to assist you.

Let us know if there's anything else we can help you with.

Regards,
Nimfa

0 Kudos
CaseyStanley422
Reel Rookie

It happens with every channel. I have tried to reboot, reset and even did a factory reset. I’ve tried using my hot spot internet as well as the internet where I’m at. 

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @CaseyStanley422,

Thanks for letting us know all that you've done. Appreciate the troubleshooting steps you've done so far.

We would be more than happy to look further into this issue but will need more details. Can you please provide us with the following information:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
  • Please cite specific streaming channels.
  • tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID)
  • steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing
  • What are you seeing on screen? Can you provide a video of the issue you are experiencing?

Once we have this information, I'll be able to pass it along to our Support team who can investigate further.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
KrissyB
Reel Rookie

Thanks @RokuNimfa-C for the reply.  Yes, it is connected to the TV’s USB for its power.  But again, we have another Roku Express connected the same way to an identical TV in another room…could it really be so on the hairy edge that one just gets enough power and the other one is just short of it?  Either way…what do you suggest for a fix?

0 Kudos
RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Hi @KrissyB

Thanks for the post.

These are the most common reasons you may not see the picture on your TV:

1. You have the wrong input (source) selected on your TV
    You must select the input (sometimes referred to as source) that matches the one to which you have the Roku player connected.
  2. The video cable is not connected properly or the cable is faulty
    Check that the video cable is firmly connected to the back of your Roku player and to the HDMI or composite connector on the TV. If you have a Roku Streaming Stick, then make sure it is firmly connected to the HDMI connector on your TV.
    If you can, check to see if you have a faulty cable by connecting your Roku player with a different cable.
  3. There is a problem with the TV
    If you can, try connecting the Roku player to a different input on the TV to see if the problem is with the connector on the TV.
    If you can, try connecting the Roku player to a different television to see if the problem is with your Roku player or the TV.
  4. If all else fails…
    Disconnect and reconnect all cables including the power cable.

For more information, you can refer to this Support link: What to do if you cannot see the picture from your Roku® streaming player on your TV.

Let us know how it goes!

Warm regards,
Lianna

0 Kudos
MarkVT
Reel Rookie

With all due respect, it’s a little obnoxious that you’re telling folks to check their input sources among other things. A lot of Roku users are complaining about this, and their devices range from sticks to TVs. I’ve had the issue in one of my hotel rooms (I own 27 Roku TVs there) and next the exact same issue also happened at my house. It’s obvious that there’s a glitch in Roku OS that it’s up to your company to fix, not for us to troubleshoot by reconnecting cables and checking settings.

Jorn
Reel Rookie

Nothing works to fix it. It might work for a bit then the picture is gone snd there is only sound. There has to be a glitch in the ROKU OS

RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi Community users,

Thanks for the post and we appreciate you for sharing your observation.

If the issue still persists with your Roku device unable to see the video/blank screen but can still hear the audio. Kindly provide the requested details from my post above so we can investigate this issue.

Our engineering team would like to take a look to see if we can help here. Thank you!

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Jorn
Reel Rookie

I have done all the steps listed a few times. It’s not only on one channel or one app. And it’s frustrating that I keep trying this and have to keep doing this and it works for maybe a bit but it doesn’t solve it and I have even changed to another Roku and it’s still doing the same thing. It’s really upsetting when you’re watching something on TV and when he gets to a good partner game or a good part in the movie it happens all over again. This really needs to get resolved I have sent messages and still there’s nothing different and fixed