Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: [OS 12.0] UI goes black until I press the Home button

Jump to solution

Hi @Lanceman,

Thanks for your first post in the Roku Community!

We're sorry to hear that you've been having this trouble with playing content on YouTube.

Please be advised that we are currently aware and our engineering team has been investigating this issue closely.

In the meantime, please help us with the required details below so we can send additional information for the investigation to our engineering team, and once more information is available I'll be sure to let the Community know:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
  • tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID)
  • steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

We appreciate your patience while we investigate this issue and We look forward to your responses for gathering your details.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
Lanceman
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

This doesn't happen with the YouTube app itself, just when I exit the YouTube app, there is a black home screen. The Roku TV's hardware ID is 8116X, and the software version is 12.0.0., and build 4182-48. The serial number is YK00FK349024.

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Lanceman,

Thanks for providing all the information we requested and we're sorry for the inconvenience.

Just to confirm, the issue you are experiencing is when you exit the Youtube channel. Do you observe this behavior while using any other channel(s) on your device?

In addition to the information you have provided, can you please provide the tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)?

We look forward to your responses and gathering your details.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
ErockP

Jump to solution

I am seeing this issue as well when exiting the YT TV app. I have the follow info for you.

Roku:

Model: 4630X

S#: YR0009625621

SW: 12.0.0 Build 4184-29

Device ID: 7KA720625621

Micro SD: not installed

Connected to TV via HDMI

TV:

Brand: Toshiba

Model: 49L310U

Tracker ID: 21-208-885

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @ErockP,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We appreciate you for taking a moment to reach us and providing information.

We would be happy to look further into this issue but we will need more details. 

• Can you please provide us with more specific information about the issue you are experiencing? 
  • Does the issue only occur on the Youtube TV channel or all channels on your Roku device? 
  • When did this issue first start occurring?
  • What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far to try to resolve the issue?

We look forward to hearing from you and assisting you as we are committed to finding a solution for this issue. Thank you!

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
iFrog
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Just adding a public report this also happens with the TBN channel (trinity broadcasting Network)

YouTube is hit or miss, but TBN does it all the time.

I have PM'd the appropriate info to Roku staff already, and have also sent a report to TBN.  Overall, my experience has been stable, but just want to get this remaining problem resolved as soon as possible.  As an alternative to Roku, I also own a 2019 Shield TV Pro, and an 2022 Apple TV 4K for alternative streaming platforms, so I have my bases covered in the event of problems.

0 Kudos
jontalk
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

The exiting YouTube issue has been going on since the first build of OS 12 and I've lost count how many times I've reported this since this OS version had more builds released in a short time frame than any others. That said, its MY personal feeling that this is a YouTube issue rather than Roku firmware. The reason being that when 10-15 minutes of content is viewed, the app exits as it should. BUT if the viewer spends 30-60 minutes on the app, exiting results in a black screen which is remedied by pressing the Home button. I don't think the YT developers have updated this app in ages so all things point to Google/YT development

Power User (film maker)
Mill Valley, CA

Jonathan
Roku Ultra 4800R; LG OLED55B7A, ONKYO TX-NR636, Panasonic Blu Ray, Definitive Studio Monitor 450 (L/R), Definitive LCR 2000 (center), Definitive 10" sub-woofer, Definitive surrounds. Motorola MB8600 modem. Asus RT-AX68U WiFi 6 router. Western Digital Power Line network adapters
0 Kudos
iFrog
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I have the same issue with another channel. in addition to YouTube, I've decided to replace my Roku with a Chromecat with Google TV.  I've put my Roku on the back burner while the issues are sorted out.  So far, things have worked quite well with the new device.

0 Kudos
Lanceman
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I have not experienced that problem again lately. 

0 Kudos
iFrog
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Lanceman wrote:

I have not experienced that problem again lately. 

For me, it's random on YouTube and the other app I've been working with their support on, does it every time.

Even following their instructions they provides, claiming to have resolved it, did nothing for me.

They suggested uninstalling / reinstalling the app, or clearing the cache.  I did both and neither worked.  I also made sure to reboot the Roku after uninstall, and before reinstall as this has always been suggested as a good practice for uninstall/reinstall.  One thing I will offer though, hitting home always exits correctly, however some apps when hitting back will also go through a process of exiting / prompts, etc.  If Roku intends on simply hitting the Home button to exit channels now, is the preferred method, they should document it.  I will not do that on a regular basis until they do, because I will not risk damaging / corrupting data to improper exit / shutdown methods.

0 Kudos