Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jontalk
Roku Guru

Re: [OS 12.0] UI goes black until I press the Home button

Jump to solution

Thought I'd add that another build of OS12 was installed last night..that makes 4 in a matter of weeks..Not sure I've ever seen so many in such a short span of time..As I mentioned in the last post, the exiting YouTube issue seems to have improved, but I can't say for sure whether its fixed

Power User (film maker)
Mill Valley, CA

Jonathan
Roku Ultra 4800R; LG OLED55B7A, ONKYO TX-NR636, Panasonic Blu Ray, Definitive Studio Monitor 450 (L/R), Definitive LCR 2000 (center), Definitive 10" sub-woofer, Definitive surrounds. Motorola MB8600 modem. Asus RT-AX68U WiFi 6 router. Western Digital Power Line network adapters
0 Kudos
jontalk
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

After a 24 hour period since updating to build 4178, the YouTube problem has NOT resolved. After removing, power cycling and adding it back, when more than a few minutes of content is viewed, exiting results in a black screen and requires pressing the HOME button to return. PLEASE have your colleagues contact Google/YT so they can update the faulty app. Thanks

Power User (film maker)
Mill Valley, CA

Jonathan
Roku Ultra 4800R; LG OLED55B7A, ONKYO TX-NR636, Panasonic Blu Ray, Definitive Studio Monitor 450 (L/R), Definitive LCR 2000 (center), Definitive 10" sub-woofer, Definitive surrounds. Motorola MB8600 modem. Asus RT-AX68U WiFi 6 router. Western Digital Power Line network adapters
0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @jontalk 

Thanks for the updates regarding the issue you are experiencing.

I have passed along the information to the appropriate Roku team to look into further. Once more information is available, I'll be sure to update this thread.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
jontalk
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Danny..in an effort to better understand the Roku platform, are there servers in a Roku data center that play middleman to those of a channel provider? I ask since the You Tube issue is sporadic. Last night I watched an hour of content on YT and it exited without a problem. Other nights I'll watch 10 minutes or so and the exiting issue will surface. Any ideas?

Power User (film maker)
Mill Valley, CA

Jonathan
0 Kudos
jontalk
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Danny..

FYI the FIFTH OS12 build installed the other night but the periodic YouTube exiting problem remains. If I had to guess, I'd say its connected with the fact that YT has failed to update the channel since OS12 was released. I'd appreciate it if you would forward this to whomever interacts with the YT channel developer. Thanks

Power User (film maker)
Mill Valley, CA

Jonathan
0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @jontalk 

Thanks for the follow up regarding the issue you are experiencing.

Can you please provide us the following information:

• current Roku device software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times and provide us with this ID)

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
jontalk
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Danny..the device updated to the SIXTH build of OS 12 last night and so far the YT exiting seems to be working..if I experience the issue again, I'll be happy to provide what you seek.

The device SN is: X01000YC7LRJ

Power User (film maker)
Mill Valley, CA

Jonathan
0 Kudos
rlock13

Jump to solution

This also happens with YouTube TV.  Restarting the roku fixes it for a few executions of the channel but it just starts happening again.

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Greeting @rlock13,

Welcome to the Roku Community. 

Could you provide us with more details about your concern? What are the steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing? Does the issue only occur on that specific channel or all channels on your Roku device? What troubleshooting steps have you already taken to try to resolve the issue?

With more details, we will be able to best assist you. 

Regards, 
Nimfa

0 Kudos
Lanceman
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I am also dealing with this issue when I exit the YouTube app on Roku TV and the screen goes black. It is a TCL Roku TV Model 32S37.

0 Kudos