Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jontalk
Roku Guru

[OS 12.0] UI goes black until I press the Home button

Jump to solution

Danny..I live in the SF Bay area and received OS 12, build 4162 several days ago. I have a Roku Ultra 4800R, high speed WIRED connection and 5.1 home theater setup (see signature). Since the update when exiting YouTube, Netflix and sometimes Tubi, the UI goes black until I press the home button. This is obviously a bug or Roku dev team needs to contact channel developers to update their apps. And while it's not major, it's definitely a problem with OS12. Thanks

Power User (film maker)
Mill Valley, CA

Jonathan
Roku Ultra 4800R; LG OLED55B7A, ONKYO TX-NR636, Panasonic Blu Ray, Definitive Studio Monitor 450 (L/R), Definitive LCR 2000 (center), Definitive 10" sub-woofer, Definitive surrounds. Motorola MB8600 modem. Asus RT-AX68U WiFi 6 router. Western Digital Power Line network adapters
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jontalk
Roku Guru

Re: [OS 12.0] UI goes black until I press the Home button

Jump to solution

Thought I'd mention that I received another OS 12 update last night along with a couple of channels..So far YouTube exiting appears to have been fixed, though I'll reserve judgement as of now. That said, Peacock is notoriously slow when browsing movies etc. In some cases when you get the end of a film genre which can be quite long, most of the title images gray out. Of all apps Peacock remains as the slowest by an order of magnitude so I'm assuming its their bogged down servers

Power User (film maker)
Mill Valley, CA

Jonathan
Roku Ultra 4800R; LG OLED55B7A, ONKYO TX-NR636, Panasonic Blu Ray, Definitive Studio Monitor 450 (L/R), Definitive LCR 2000 (center), Definitive 10" sub-woofer, Definitive surrounds. Motorola MB8600 modem. Asus RT-AX68U WiFi 6 router. Western Digital Power Line network adapters

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
41 REPLIES 41
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @jontalk 

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community regarding the experiencing you are having with the newest OS 12.0. I can understand the frustration when the newest OS gets released and you find something not working as expected.

Please be aware that I've passed along you concerns and details to the appropriate Roku team for further investigation. In the meantime, would it be possible if you provided us with a video of the issue you are experiencing so we can better understand what you are seeing?

Your assistance is much appreciate so we can try to resolve the issue as soon as possible.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
jontalk
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Danny

Thanks..After viewing a number of YouTube videos, and clicking the "Exit YouTube" button, the screen goes dark and remains that way until pressing the home button.

BTW, another OS12 build was release days after yet the exiting issue with YouTube periodically occurs. I haven't noticed it as much with other apps which shows YT has lagged behind in updating. On the positive side, since I have a quality home theater system, audio appears to have  improved. Thanks again

Power User (film maker)
Mill Valley, CA

Jonathan
0 Kudos
jontalk
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Danny..I thought you might be interested to know that my Ultra has received THREE (3) OS 12 builds in the last 10 days which is something I've yet to experience with older versions..The build I received last night seems to have corrected the YouTube exiting issue, though its too early to tell. What has occurred with previous builds is after watching 10-30 minutes worth of content, clicking 'Exit YouTube' results in a black screen and Home must be pressed to return to the desktop. I'm in the SF Bay area and am curious if others have received 3 builds of the same OS within a week or so

Power User (film maker)
Mill Valley, CA

Jonathan
0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hello @jontalk 

Thanks for the follow up and providing us with that update.

Can you please provide us with the current OS build and version that your Roku device is running that you no longer see the original issue you were reporting?

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
jontalk
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

No problem..Build 4171 if memory serves

Power User (film maker)
Mill Valley, CA

Jonathan
0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hello @jontalk 

Thanks for the follow up and providing us with the requested information.

I've passed along the information to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further. Once more information is available, I'll be sure to post an update in this thread.

Your patience and understanding in the meantime is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
jontalk
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

My pleasure. It appears build 4171 has resolved the exiting problem with YouTube and appears to be stable

Power User (film maker)
Mill Valley, CA

Jonathan
0 Kudos
jontalk
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Danny

It appears I may have spoken too soon re YouTube. Last night I watched over an hour of content and when exiting, the screen went black and the desktop only returns when pressing the Home button. So while build 4171 made improvements, the problem still exists. This never occurred with OS11 by the way. Thanks

Power User (film maker)
Mill Valley, CA

Jonathan
0 Kudos
jontalk
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Thought I'd mention that I received another OS 12 update last night along with a couple of channels..So far YouTube exiting appears to have been fixed, though I'll reserve judgement as of now. That said, Peacock is notoriously slow when browsing movies etc. In some cases when you get the end of a film genre which can be quite long, most of the title images gray out. Of all apps Peacock remains as the slowest by an order of magnitude so I'm assuming its their bogged down servers

Power User (film maker)
Mill Valley, CA

Jonathan
0 Kudos