Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
94firehawk
Reel Rookie

[OS 11.5] Roku no longer allows Surround Sound audio playback of Tablo OTA DVR app

Jump to solution

Roku no longer allows Surround Sound audio playback of Tablo OTA DVR app.

Worked fine prior to 10/21/22, did not try to access again until 10/29/22.  Now receive message that "Roku is reporting it cannot play this Surround Sound."

Last Roku update was 10/26/22.

This occurs on both a Roku HD, Model 2050x and a Roku Streaming Stick+, model 3810RW.  The TabloTV OTA DVR is a Tablo Dual Lite, model TDNS2B-02-CN.  Tablo has latest firmware update.

All systems (video, internet, WiFi) and components were rebooted/restarted.  Roku only allows Stereo audio from Tablo device.  All Tablo recordings are no longer accessible.

Please advise.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: [OS 11.5] Roku no longer allows Surround Sound audio playback of Tablo OTA DVR app

Jump to solution

@briank619park 

Thanks for the post.

Do you know what you current Volume Mode is set to? Can you try changing it to Off to see if it resolves the issue you are experiencing?

For more detailed information about Volume Modes, visit our Support page here: Enable volume modes

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
17 REPLIES 17
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Re: [OS 11.5] Roku no longer allows Surround Sound audio playback of Tablo OTA DVR app

Jump to solution

Hello @94firehawk

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Please provide us with the information asked by @RokuDanny-R above. We'll be able to further assist you from there.

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
94firehawk
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)

Roku Streaming Stick+, model 3810RW

Serial Number YH0056072710

Device ID 225055072710

Software Version 11.5.0.4235

-brand and model AVR you are using

NO AVR

Using Samsung Soundbar HW-J550

-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)

Only occurs with the Tablo channel

TabloTV OTA DVR is a Tablo Dual Lite, model TDNS2B-02-CN

Serial Number GI-C02142664

Firmware 2.2.42

-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times and provide us with this ID)

This button sequencing does not seem to work.   Only end up sitting on the Home screen.

-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing 

Using Tablo channel.  All other Roku channels installed on TV tested ok.

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Tablo unit purchased and installed 10/17/21.  Both Roku and the Tablo has worked with the same settings up and thru 10/21/22, just over 1 year.   These have worked both with LiveTV and recordings.  Did not try to access Tablo again until 10/29/22.  Now receive message that "Roku is reporting it cannot play this Surround Sound."  Roku system shows the latest update installed was 10/26/22.  Would seem like this update no longer allows the Tablo unit to play Surround Sound when accessing through Roku.  The Tablo recordings play fine on the Tablo IOS phone app.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@94firehawk

Thanks for the reply.

I have forwarded this issue to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further. Once we have an update, we'll post it in this thread immediately.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
CraigC1
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I just purchased a Tablo and am experiencing the same problem with my Roku streaming stick+. Has there been a fix for this yet? 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@CraigC1

Thanks for the post.

Please be aware that we are currently investigate this issue. Can you please provide us the following information:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
  • tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times and provide us with this ID)
  • steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing 

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
CraigC1
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

this only happens with the TabloTV app. Info as requested:

Model 3810X - Roku Streaming Stick+

Serial No. YH00DL211944

Version 11.5.0 build 4312-50

Device ID 21308D211944

TabloTV app version 3.1 build 0

Issue Report Tracker ID 44-027-010

The issue occurs when I select the TabloTV app, enable surround sound in the settings, and then try to play any local TV channel. A window pops up on the TV that includes the message "Your Roku is reporting that it cannot play this surround sound video". I've had this setup of TV, Roku stick, and sound system for several years now without any such issue with other apps like Sling, Prime and Netflix. It only started once I purchased the TabloTV quad DVR with WiFi.

Craig

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@CraigC1

Thanks for the follow up.

I have passed along your concerns and information to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@CraigC1 

Thanks for your patience while we investigated the issue. 

Can you please answer the follow questions about your setup and audio settings so we can better understand what you are experiencing:

1. Has this setup always been the same before and after this issue occurred? How is the Roku's HDMI output hooked up to your soundbar and TV?
  2. Was there any audio setting changed in the Tablo DVR to record either in Surround Sound or Stereo before?
  3. What is the "Digital output format" in Roku's Audio menu set to, and what audio formats does it report?

Once we have this information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
CraigC1
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

My setup of Roku streaming stick, TV, and sound system has not changed for several years. The only difference is I added the Tablo app for streaming from my Tablo DVR when I bought the DVR in January. 

The streaming stick connects to the TV via an HDMI port and the TV passes audio to the sound system via another HDMI port using CEC/ARC.

When I try to view any live channel with surround sound enabled, I get the error message about not being able to play. When it's disabled, live channels work fine, as well as recorded playback. It's been that way since day one with the Tablo.

The Roku audio output is set to "auto", streaming audio output is set to "auto", digital output is set to "auto".

0 Kudos