Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
keltx
Reel Rookie

[OS 11.5] Roku Ultra pops and glitches

Hi Danny,

Since our Roku updated to OS 11.5.0 on 10/25/2022, we have experienced intermittent audio glitches/pops. There were no audio issues prior to the update. Here is the info:

Model: 4660X-Roku Ultra

Serial: YJ0015800718

Device ID: CK38D1800718

Software: 11.5.0 Build 4235-46

External Device: Harmon/Kardon Enchant 1300 Soundbar (via ARC HDMI)

Streaming Channels/Services Effected: HBO Max (Version 52.50 Build 20), Hulu (Version 6.64 Build 2) - NOTE: We have many streaming channels/services and have not tested all of them yet to see if the audio is effected by the update.

We have done all the troubleshooting steps recommended via this thread to try to fix the audio issues, but nothing has solved the problem. Let me reiterate, the audio issues started immediately after the OS update - no audio issues prior to update and we've had the same setup for years.

Please fix ASAP. We pay good money for these streaming channels/services and now some are annoyingly interrupted and some unwatchable due to these audio issues.

12 REPLIES 12
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: [OS 11.5] Roku Ultra pops and glitches

@keltx

Thanks for the post.

Are you experiencing the same issue when you are not connecting external audio devices to your TV?

Please keep us posted what you find out and we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
GrogeryH
Channel Surfer

I have the same issue with the same Ultra model when using Hulu. I previously reported it in this thread:

https://community.roku.com/t5/Solving-playback-issues/OS-11-5-Audio-Issues-with-my-Roku-Ultra-since-...

Here are my details copied from the previous thread:

I started getting brief audio dropouts (< 1 second) every ~15 seconds in the Hulu and Kanopy channels after the OS 11.5 update was applied on October 26. The audio dropouts are extremely brief and usually manifest as a click or pop. I might not even notice them if I weren't using headphones. The issue does not occur with the Prime Video channel, Disney+ channel, or Roku channel.

Model: 4660X - Roku Ultra

Serial number: YJ00FE847073

Software version: 11.5.0 build 4235-46

Affected channels: Hulu Version 6.64 build 2 - Kanopy Version 4.3 build 20200602

Tracker ID: 73-432-935

Roku audio output set to Stereo

Roku Ultra connected to Panasonic TH-42PZ77U TV

issue also occurs when using headphones connected to Roku remote

issue also occurs when Roku Ultra is connected to Acer XFA240 monitor using the monitor's internal speakers or the monitor's headphone jack

The issue is reproducible when watching any content in the Hulu or Kanopy channels.

keltx
Reel Rookie

Hi Danny,

Yes, the same Roku audio issues occur when we strictly use the TV internal speakers as well.

Also, we tested more streaming channels/services. Spectrum TV, Netflix, and Paramount+ seem to be okay and unaffected by the update.  

So far, HBO Max and Hulu have the audio issues.

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@keltx @GrogeryH

Thanks for the posts.

I have passed along your concerns and information to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further. Once more information is available, I'll be sure to update this Community thread.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
MBPIEDRA

Similiar issue.  When not using the Roku for a few hours or when it goes to sleep.  Waking it up causes it to emit a very loud buzzing sound that won't sstop until I unplug it and wait 1 minute and plug it back in.  Happens constantly

0 Kudos
GrogeryH
Channel Surfer

This issue was resolved for me in November when my device was rolled back to software version 11.0. It looks like my Roku Ultra was updated to software version 11.5.0 build 4312-46 on January 11 and this update has caused the audio issue to return. Can my device be returned to software version 11.0 again?

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@GrogeryH

Thanks for the post.

At this time, we would recommend checking for a manual update on your Roku device.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
GrogeryH
Channel Surfer

@RokuDanny-R 

After manually checking for a system update I received the message "All software is up to date." The device is still running software version 11.5.0 build 4312-46 and I verified that the audio issue still occurs in Hulu version 6.66 build 0. Can my device please be returned to software version 11.0 again?

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@GrogeryH

Thanks for the post.

Can you please check again for a system update on your Roku device now?

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos