Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
timmyd74
Reel Rookie

[OS 11.5] Roku Ultra has sound, but no picture

Sounds like this is happening to most users, I had the same problem.  Tried to contact them via chat, and just had someone read from a script telling me to try a new power adapter.  I've had my Roku for several years, has worked flawlessly, now EVERY TIME I turn it on I have a black screen and sound.  The only fix for me is to unplug the device, and plug it back in, and it works instantly.  Only started after a recent firmware update.  Will never buy another ROKU again.

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
ih8aloss
Reel Rookie

Agree, one and done. Will never buy another Roku!

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@timmyd74 @ih8aloss 

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times and provide us with this ID)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing 
Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
timmyd74
Reel Rookie

Model:  4800X - Roku Ultra

Serial #: X01000SH89HE

Device ID:  S02A20DH89HE

Software Version:  11.5.0 * build 4235-C2

Issue Report Tracker:  HE-431-390

This does not happen on any specific channel or app, it happens EVERY TIME I turn the device on.  The screen is completely black, but there is sound coming from the screen.  I have tried different inputs, it's the device.  This just started with a recent firmware update, I never had an issue previously.  In the rare event that the video come on, it's got lines running through it and is unwatchable.  Unplugging the device and plugging it right back in resolves the issue 100% of the time.  This is incredibly frustrating as I shouldn't have to unplug the device every time I want to use it.

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: [OS 11.5] Roku Ultra has sound, but no picture

Hi @timmyd74,

Thanks for providing the information needed!

We'll go ahead and send this over to the Roku team for investigation. We'll get back to you once we have an update available I'll be sure to let the Community know. 

We appreciate your patience while we investigated this issue.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
timmyd74
Reel Rookie

Why is Roku pretending that the recent update did not create this black screen issue for a ton of users?  It's not a power adapter, HDMI cable, input, or other device issue, please stop suggesting that to users, we're not idiots and have already tested these.  Your software update created this.  Be honest with your customers, admit your mistake, and fix it, or you will lose those customers. It's that simple. 

LisaKK

Is there a fix for this? I JUST bought ROKU sticks because we wanted to change to streaming Directv. Now, the picture freezes or goes black, although the sound still comes through. SOOOOO frustrating!!!! I think I would have been better off with Amazon Fire sticks. 

IS THERE A FIX??? Please tell me. Please. If there is no fix, please tell me how to return these THREE ROKU sticks I just purchased. 

Please answer ASAP.

0 Kudos
Poorjohnny
Channel Surfer

Any update to fix this yet? This just happened to me on my ultra but unplugging it and back in again didn’t fix it. 

0 Kudos
tywhiskey
Reel Rookie

To my knowledge, no update to the code. Turning off and back on did not work for me as well.

Restart did work. From Settings get to Power and Restart.

Hopefully that will work for you.

Still waiting for Roku's code correction!

0 Kudos

Any update yet?

0 Kudos