Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Express 4K+ Suddenly Freezes During Live TV or Recorded

@gmiddleton22

Thanks for the post and providing us with your device information.

I have passed along your concerns and details to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
djp11

My 4K streaming stick is also having the same problem with freezing videos as a result of fast forwarding through commercials. This problem apparently occurred as a result of one of their software builds, and should be treated with the highest priority. One of the people who posted here stated that he had the same problem with his 4K streaming stick, but that he did not have a problem with his Roku Premier. If Roku can't solve this issue in an expedited fashion -- say two weeks --  then I think they should ship a Roku Premier at no cost to everyone who has documented this problem. 

Model:  3820X

Device ID: S08Y41A1LHT4

S/N: X0170001LHT4

SW Version 11.5.0, Build 4235-CU

0 Kudos
SissonAds
Reel Rookie

Re: picture freezes when forwarding recording

Dear Mary,

This is just unbelievable that Roku would destroy its reputation for quality and alienate so many truly loyal fans by not fixing this issue. I have it too and I too am about to jump ship and go to Apple. 

What is particularly galling is when faced with a upset customers you ask for a wide range of specifications. Why bother?

It is also galling when I call customer support and they suggest the same fixes that we know don't work.

Please do something. It's your chance to save Roku.

0 Kudos
shabl
Channel Surfer

We were at a friend's who use Apple TV when I noticed the same issue in the middle of playing an ad (they were using HGTV app at the moment). I asked them about it, and according to them it only happens during some commercials and did not impact the main content. This seems to indicate that this is not a Roku specific problem and has something to do with the streaming cloud services, or possibly a version of a client library has a bug, or some API has changed causing incompatibility.

That said, I expected the Roku team to at least provide a response and update on what they have found and what should the users expect.

0 Kudos
Snakeoil
Roku Guru

I have a Firestick, but it is at our summer place. I may be heading out that way and if I do, I will pick up the Firestick and starting using it at home. If the Firestick does it, then the problem may be something Roku is not aware of. Could be to the point made previously, that a compatibility issue has been created on the sending end of streaming services.

What is a shame is that Roku has the currently popular business model of having nobody actually talking to a client with a problem over the phone. Being able to ask questions, have them try something, etc., while on the phone could get to the root of the problem.

Having been someone who spent a good chunk of his career troubleshooting power plant operational problems, I can speak with confidence when I say that intermittent problems are the hardest to diagnose. It is easy for us to sit here and whine about it and say things like "Why don't they just fix it?" It's another thing to be the guy that has to figure it out before he can fix it.

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @SissonAds,

Saw your post!

We would be more than happy to look further into this issue but will need more details. Can you please provide us with the following information:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
  • tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID)
  • steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
Snakeoil
Roku Guru

Well, this recent reply from RokuMary is proof-positive that nobody is doing anything. It's like she just discovered this thread and is responding for the first time.

I also have not heard back from what I thought was a real person when I sent an email to customer service. Guess I need to give him a poke as well. 

Might be time to start writing a letter to the big mucky-mucks that run Roku and let them know how well they are doing.

I really don't like people that get on the internet and whine and **bleep** about stuff. But I think in this case, at this point in time, expressing dissatisfaction is the right thing to do. And there is still the chance that this is not a Roku issue, but a recent compatibility issue. Regardless, a little feedback from Roku other than auto-replies like this most recent one, is in order.

0 Kudos
hobbyhound
Binge Watcher

Re: Video Freezes But Audio Keeps Playing

That is something I never tried. Good find! My express 4k+ is working fine now but I could see it being an HDMI issue. One of the steps I had to do was change my video out to manual 1080p.

0 Kudos