Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shabl
Channel Surfer

Re: Video Freezes But Audio Keeps Playing

Same here, no issue in a couple of days, although we've been trying not to seek as much as possible to avoid the issue. Maybe the problem was with some Roku streaming API, which they have fixed, and not a bug in the device software.

0 Kudos
BilD
Channel Surfer

I’ve discovered that this frozen video problem seems to be related to the HDMI signals.

When my Ultra’s video is frozen but audio is still playing, I can resume the video by simply using my TV remote to toggle the TV's HDMI input to an unused input and back to input my Ultra is on. The Ultra’s video resumes playing automatically.

My Ultra is directly connected to my TV (no sound bar).

Gmartincooper
Reel Rookie

You can do same thing by simply stoping and starting the video. My guess is this has something to do with roku’s algorithm to compile marketing data from commercials. TiVo streaming, Apple TV, and comcast do not have this problem. It usually starts after you have been watching for 3-4 + hours. Roku needs to fix this bug.

0 Kudos
shabl
Channel Surfer

Problem happening again! It only resolves with restarting the system.

0 Kudos
Snakeoil
Roku Guru

I don't disagree with your theory of the cause, but in my case, stopping and restarting did not work when it happened on Netflix. I had to back completely out using the Home key and then go back into Netflix and the actual series I we were watching.

0 Kudos
Snakeoil
Roku Guru

I am seeing something that I don't understand. There appears to be two threads on this problem, yet I only found one and posted to that one from the start. It had 17 pages and just turned 22 pages long. This thread seems to only have 6 pages, making me think it is a different thread. So, I will post what I just posted in what I believe is the other thread.

It has been two days since I tried the button sequence suggested by Steve Z. Have not had a single screen freeze on any of the 3 E4K units in our house since doing so yesterday morning. This may very well be the fix. It is not a full reset because it maintains your settings and icon selections. My guess is it turns off whatever feature is causing the screen freezes.

The fix is to push the following buttons the number of times listed in the order listed. Do it quickly.

Home - 5

Up - 1

Rewind - 2

Fast Forward - 2

Then wait. The menu will go a little crazy scrolling up and down and will eventually stop at Settings. Continue to wait. Eventually, the bouncing Roku logo will come up while the change takes place. When it is done, your home screen will come back up. So far, this has fixed the problem for me. But only time will tell.

0 Kudos
BilD
Channel Surfer

@Snakeoil- Interesting! I'll be staying tuned-in here to see if this mystery setting continues to work.

0 Kudos
Snakeoil
Roku Guru

There is another thread that is much longer than this one reporting the same problem of screen freeze. 

https://community.roku.com/t5/Channels-viewing/OS-11-5-Express-device-Video-Freezes-But-Audio-Keeps-...

I have sent this link and the link to this thread to the Roku customer support people. I sent an email to them. A ticket number has been issued and I have a warm body looking into the problem. I will post updates in the thread link given above as things progress. 

I have suggested that they load the previous software version while they work on the problem to keep their customers happy. We'll see.

0 Kudos
Yoheadden
Channel Surfer

Re: [OS 11.5] Roku Ultra Recordings freezing up when trying to fast forward through commercials

The problem happened again last night. We had to restart the system in order to clear the issue and be able to FF through the commercials. 
This problem seems to be completely random. We will be fine for days at a time, then boom, stuck again. 
I attempted to get an error code by hitting the home button 5X and the back button 5X, but nothing happened except bring me to the home page the first time I hit the home button. 
I tried to resume our recording without restarting the system, but it just froze up again when I FF the screen. 

0 Kudos

Re: Suddenly Freezes During Live TV or Recorded

I am having the same issue Please Help!

Model: 4802X-Roku Ultra

SN:x01000LDEJUL (S0DA228DEJUL)

Software version:11.5.0-build 4235-C2

ID UL-496-972

0 Kudos