Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Apex-grind
Channel Surfer

Re: Video Freezes But Audio Keeps Playing

I'm interested... I'm seeing something like shabl.

I have 2 Roku Ultras. Both purchased maybe a couple of months ago. Both wired to the same router and both on the same subnet. The one in the living room (on most of the day) is the one having the issue and it started a couple of weeks ago. The one in the bedroom (used maybe an hour a night) seems to be fine. Back up a bit and the picture freezes but audio is fine (back and forward seems to work after that but the picture stays frozen). 

0 Kudos
Apex-grind
Channel Surfer

[oops] Should have noted that it happens when watching live tv on Youtube TV and has also happened on library recordings from Paramount shows

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: picture freezes when forwarding recording

Hi @852741963,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

Can you please provide us with the following information:

• Roku device model
  • Serial number
  • Device ID
  • Software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • Does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
  • Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
  • What are you seeing on screen? Can you provide a screenshot of the issue or error message?
  • Steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have this information, I'll be able to pass it along to our Support team who can investigate further.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Binge Watcher

• Roku device model 4800X
  • Serial number: X010005EXNF4
  • Device ID: S02A208EXFN4
  • Software OS/version: 11.5.0 4235-C2
  • Does this issue occur on a specific channel: Several Apps- Spectrum and other apps
  • What are you seeing on screen?: Video - Frozen Picture with audio working normally
  • Steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing: Exit out of the app and start it back up and it will freeze the video after a few minutes. After rebooting the Roku the problem goes away and may not happen until another day or it could be hours later.

Is this the most current FW? (of course I have tried to update and it shows that the Roku is current)

Can FW be rolled back?

I am a retired network engineer and I'm very familiar with FW and I would like to be in the beta group. I never knew there was a beta testing group until I started researching this issue.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @852741963,

Thanks for keeping in touch and providing the additional information.

Please be aware that this issue is still under investigation by the appropriate Roku team. I have passed along your information and concerns. We'll get back to you once an update is available I'll be sure to let the Community know.

We appreciate your patience while we investigated this issue.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Apex-grind
Channel Surfer

What does "still under investigation" mean? Has the Roku team acknowledged there is an issue?

Coltata
Channel Surfer

@Apex-grind

I am pretty sure it means that they want us to leave them alone until they find a convenient time to look and it and get back to us.

On a positive note....my Fire TV stick arrives today and I can use the box it comes in to ship my Roku back to Amazon!!!

rmsindy52

I started having this problem after the last software update back in Oct. 2022. It is happening on several apps (ROKU, ESPN+, ABC News and Prime). When I watch a title on the ROKU channel and there are commercials, the video freezes after the last commercial but the audio continues. When I try to watch the ABC app, the video freezes as soon as I get into the app and try and make a selection. Normally, when watching a sporting event on Prime or ESPN+, I can't always start watching the event when it starts so I use the option to replay from the beginning of the event. This feature used to work on both Prime and ESPN+ but since update, they both freeze when I try and fast forward. My only option is to exit out and select the event again. When I do that, it picks up at the point where I tried to restart it with the Play button.

0 Kudos
Snakeoil
Roku Guru

The right way for Roku to handle this is update the software on our units to the previous, working version. Then the customer would be happy and there would be no rush for them to fix the bad software.

0 Kudos
MattSF
Reel Rookie

Mine has not had a problem in two days.

0 Kudos