Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Yoheadden
Channel Surfer

[OS 11.5] Roku Ultra Recordings freezing up when trying to fast forward through commercials

Here is an update for what I have tried and unfortunaly, wasn't successful.  

The device that was freezing up while FF had a wired connection. I changed that to a wireless one. 

We changed a setting that had something to do with the FPS, thinking the content wasn't loading fat enough.

I tried some kind of code on the remote that I found on U-Tube that others seemed to have luck with. 

I even thought it might be user error and switched boxes (I have 2 ROKU Ultras), but the issue continued on the box, but for some reason, not as bad. As for the "good" box, the problem is happening with that one now.

I tried the reset connection fix tonight, but since I had already switched from wired to wireless, I'm not too hopeful. The only think that seems to work, and this is only a short term fix is to reset the box, by either unplugging it for 20 seconds or doing a reset in the settings. 

1st box-had the most issues

Device Model: 4800X-Roku Ultra

Serial #: X01000PRK9NG

Device ID: S02A20CRK9NG

Software Ver: 11.5.0*build 4235-C2

2nd box

Device Model: 4800X-Roku Ultra

Serial #: X01000K61N0A

Device ID: S02A20C61N0A

Software Ver: 11.5.0* build 4235-c2

Channels/Apps it happens on:

Friendly TV version 3.2 build 150

FuboTV version 4.8 build 2500 

The last thing I can add is that my issue began before the software update in Oct like others have mentioned when their problem started. 

67 REPLIES 67
audioski

Screen Freezes While Fast Forwarding

I am having trouble during the playback of recordings on my wired Roku.  I have seen other users with this issue, but I'm not seeing a permanent solution to the problem.  When fast-forwarding through the commercials, the screen freezes up even though the audio is still playing correctly.  You can also see in the little fast forward window at the bottom what the correct screen should be, but when you hit play, the screen is still frozen from when you first started fast-forwarding.  **I have tried updating the system, system restart, network connection restart, and deleting the channel and re-adding it.  Sometimes restarting the network connection will temporarily fix the problem, but then the problem starts up again awhile later.  This happens on recordings from all apps including Fubo, Netflix, etc., and has happened when I used it at a friend's house as well.  Is there a permanent fix for this problem?  Please forward to your technical team.  There has to be a solution to this problem.  Thank you!

morrillchris13
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku fast forward moves audio but not video on YouTube TV.

Danny,

Thanks for working on this issue. I have the same problem as others. I have experienced the same issue on multiple channels but primarily on YoutubeTV as it is the channel I fast forward the most. Below is my info:

• Roku device model-4802X - Roku Ultra
  • serial number- X01007PY95L
  • device ID- S0DA224PY9JL
  • software OS/version- 11.5.0; Build 4235-C2
  • does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)- Primarily this occurs on YoutubeTV but has happened elsewhere. YoutubeTV is where I fast forward most often. The issue doesn't resolve when I hit the home button and go back to the channel. The only thing that works is to restart the Roku
  • tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times and provide us with this ID)- Happens in an unpredictable manner. I will try to capture a tracker ID the next time it happens. 
  • steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing- same answer as above. Problem is sporadic. 

Thanks,

Chris

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: [OS 11.5] Roku Ultra Recordings freezing up when trying to fast forward through commercials

@Yoheadden

Thanks for the post and providing us with your Roku device information.

I have passed along your concerns and details to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
cfeeks

Re: [OS 11.5] Roku Ultra Recordings freezing up when trying to fast forward through commercials

I just bought the Roku Ultra yesterday and I'm experiencing the same problem right out of the box.  I did find that resetting the device's network connection and reconnecting solved this problem temporarily, but I've had to do this three or four times -- basically every time I turn on the TV to stream anything from YouTube TV -- if I want to watch pre-recorded content and fast forward through the commercials. 

Anyway, try this:

From your home screen, scroll down to "Settings" and follow this path:

Settings > System > Advanced system settings > Network connection reset > Reset network connections

Select "Reset network connections" and allow device to reset network connections

When complete, follow this path:

Settings > Network > Set up connection > (then choose either Wireless or Wired accordingly)

If Wireless, select network, enter password, and connect.

If Wired, enter password to connect.

This is a seriously annoying issue.  If this problem isn't resolved via software update in the next 48 hours, this thing is going back to the store and I'm coming home with an Apple TV streaming device.

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku fast forward moves audio but not video on YouTube TV.

@morrillchris13

Thanks for the post.

I have passed along your concerns to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@cfeeks

Thanks for the post.

We would be more than happy to assist you further, but will need more detailed information. Can you please provide us the following information:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
  • tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times and provide us with this ID)
  • steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing 

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Jamnnow

Re: Video Freezes But Audio Keeps Playing

• Roku device model: 4800x-Roku Ultra
  • serial number: X01000VYKJE1
  • device ID: S02A215YKJE1
  • software OS/version: 11.5.0 build 4235-C2
  • does this issue occur on a specific channel? We experience the screen freezing on YouTube TV any and all channels when you pause live tv and then unpause or backing up to a previous time. The screen freezes at the initial time it was taken off of live tv mode but audio continues as it should.  We have to change the YouTube channel or turn it off to unfreeze. It renders the dvr useless. We have also had the screen freeze on the Roku channel sporadically at random points (nothing to do with dvr functions). 
  • tracker ID when this issue occurs
  • what are you seeing on the screen:  no error message just a frozen screen. 
  • steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing: see above
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Jamnnow

Thanks for the post and providing us with your information.

I have passed along your concerns and details to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Coltata
Channel Surfer

Any sort of update on this?  I bought two Roku 4k streaming sticks a couple weeks ago and I can’t fast forward without the video freezing like others.  I use Fubo and HBO Max mostly.  Trying to determine if I should just return them.