Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
podlipsky

"Play on Roku" not working

Jump to solution
Hello. I am iOS developer. I have an app that can stream photos and videos from iPhone to Roku.
The problem that I will describe concerns all the developers in the Appstore who made similar applications. It's hundreds of people.
For the past 2 years, I've successfully used this request to run videos and photos on Roku.

ROKU_DEV_TARGET - ip of Roku device
15985"Play on Roku” Channel ID 
video_url - url of media file for cast

It worked for the last 5 years, but now the video does not start. 
Your official app works fine with another default media player. Can you give me the docs where i can read how to use it?

Thank you!
0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: "Play on Roku" not working

Jump to solution

@podlipsky 

The Play on Roku protocol has been disabled in 11.5.  The other casting apps are using the Roku Channel protocol now which works fine.

A Roku employee/developer addressed the issue here https://community.roku.com/t5/Solving-playback-issues/OS-11-5-Roku-11-5-broke-Play-on-Roku-video-pla..., but you may find better luck asking in the Developer forums for specific documentation/coding.

https://community.roku.com/t5/Developers/ct-p/channel-developers

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
PackRatt

Re: [OS 11.5] Roku 11.5 broke Play on Roku video playback

Jump to solution

Well.. Looks like Roku products into the trash and I am going to have to replace them with Nvidia shields then. I use home assistant to trigger automations to play movies on plex. Made the grandkids NFC cards that trigger the automations so they can watch their movies. Not cool. 

Nice while it lasted I guess! Lost this customer.

SteveFa
Channel Surfer

Re: Cast Issue - Play on Roku

Jump to solution

@StreamerUser 

Brand new roku 4k stick with the same issue. Sadly these steps do nothing to resolve the issue.

0 Kudos
SteveFa
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Hi @ChrisCB,

The steps below did nothing to solve the issue for me. Did they work for you? Did you find another solution?

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Play on Roku was removed.  It was being abused by scammers to make things pop up on your TV.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
SteveFa
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply @renojim, but this appears to not be the case. It is opening Play on Roku, it's just crashing. If you have a link to an article from Roku saying this would/has happened I'd be interested to have a read. Also if this is the case, what's the alternative way to cast as advertised?

0 Kudos
SteveFa
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@UserDude1

So is there a list of 'privelaged' apps that Roku allows or is it literally only for Roku apps to tap into? Is RokuCast a new equivalent? If so is there a way to get the cast request passed to that instead?

Still seems like the Play on Roku app could give some sort of feedback on this (that in turn could be passed to FA Player support) rather than just crashing/appearing to crash.

It's also made doubly frustrating since my son's old now tv (roku under the hood) stick, works for him to cast FA Player to with whatever version of Play on Roku it is running. Presumably as a third party stick it didn't get this update.

0 Kudos
SteveFa
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@UserDude1 

Thanks. I agree that my son's stick is just so old it won't update to get this problem. Pity I can't somehow re-flash this new stick with the older OS/Play on Roku. Miracast sort of works direct to my tv but the sound is always out of sync. Still may be the best I can get at this point.

Guess I'll try asking FA player if they're gonna update their side or write a dedicated roku app. But I suspect not, in which case this stick will go in a cupboard to die. Apparently amazon fire sticks can handle this but not sure if I want to waste more money finding out.

0 Kudos
casolorz
Roku Guru

Re: [OS 11.5] Roku 11.5 broke Play on Roku video playback

Jump to solution

Control by mobile apps is still very useful for communication between apps and the Roku, for launching or channels, volume changes, etc. 

0 Kudos