Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: [OS 11.5] Roku 11.5 broke Play on Roku video playback

Jump to solution

@cotton19335 

You can see if using Web Video Caster available for Roku will work for you.

https://channelstore.roku.com/search/web+video+caster

Install the above Web Video Caster companion receiver app on your Roku device.  Install the Web Caster app on your mobile device (available from Play and Apple Stores).

Web Video Caster uses an alternative Roku Channel protocol to cast/mirror content to the Roku device.  They also used the Play on Roku/legacy protocol that has been recently disabled, so just select the "Roku Channel" protocol instead and should work for you. (this protocol verified working and is what I use).

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Juliancheh
Reel Rookie

Play on Roku functionality broken with 11.5.0 (build 4235-CU)

Jump to solution

Hi folks, I'm dealing with an issue that unfortunately has immobilized a museum exhibition that is about to open in two days (I am the artist!). I would really appreciate any help. 

The Play on Roku feature is broken for me (with Roku Streaming Stick 4k) in the latest software version: 11.5.0 (build 4235-CU), used with the Home Assistant Roku integration. https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/roku/

I've tried the latest version of HomeAssistant and the integration, so I know that it isn't broken due to changes in those. 

The functinoality still works on a Roku Streaming Stick 4k device that still has 11.0.0 build 4193-CU.

Media is triggered through HomeAssistant with the Roku integration.

On a device with 11.0.0 build 4193-CU it executes without an issue.

On the 11.5.0, the Play on Roku splash screen pops up for two seconds, and then crashes and just shows the previous screen that was visible on Roku (dashboard, for example).

For reference, this is the YAML code that triggers the event through the Home Assistant Roku integration.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR ANY ADVICE!

service: media_player.play_media
target:
  entity_id: media_player.roku_1
data:
  media_content_id: http://192.168.100.6:8080/video/fire.mp4
  media_content_type: url

0 Kudos
Juliancheh
Reel Rookie

Re: Play on Roku functionality broken with 11.5.0 (build 4235-CU)

Jump to solution

Answer received here: https://community.roku.com/t5/Solving-playback-issues/OS-11-5-Roku-11-5-broke-Play-on-Roku-video-pla...

I'm very disappointed — I purchased 12 roku sticks for this purpose 😞 

Will have to switch to Google Chromecast.

geminiroman
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

What unintended behavior and security risks are you talking about? I have been using this way of casting videos for years and your team have just abruptly changed the way I enjoy my life, my free time, where I find solace and peace in my own home!

Re: Playon Cloud channel stopped working after recent Roku update

Jump to solution

@RokuMary-F

From the many “Replies” I have seen you post to other Threads, it is obvious that you do not have good reading comprehension skills. 

From the OP, you should have understood the Channel Name in question, and using basic skills, especially for someone who is supposedly a “Roku Employee”, you should have quickly searched in the Channel Store before posting your ignorant and unhelpful Reply. 

While the Channel in question “PlayOn Cloud” is ‘technically’ still available in the Roku Channel Store, if you had tried to Install it and Use it, you would have encountered the exact same Problem of the OP, and then your Reply would have been less ignorant. 

If your job is to be helpful, you should try doing the basics like actually reading and understanding the specifics of a Post, searching for the Channel, and trying to Install and Use that Channel before you attempt a “Helpful Reply”. 

Your ineptitude is only adding to already-frustrated Customers’ dissatisfaction with Roku.

Your Reply here is in the same vein as those people on Amazon who answer Product Questions with “I don’t know I don’t have one of these.”

Tags (1)
marcus72
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I've always used the Android versions of Tubio and Video Web Caster.  Tubio tanks as does every other casting app that I've tried except for WBC.  It's still working normally.  I prefer Tubio's interface but if WBC is it for now so be it.

0 Kudos
_Xena_
Streaming Star

Can't cast to screen, since Roku updated to 11.5 OS

Jump to solution

My Roku TVs updated to OS 11.5 last night. Now, I can't cast to my screen at all. I went to restart the TV, in the settings to clear my cache, and the TV booted backup, and said, it's finishing installing updates. I let it finish, and go to cast to my screen, andIt just shows a pitch black screen, when I try! I have did a restart, and unplugged the TV, and it still does it! This is very annoying! It seems, Roku has broken the last to OS updates, they have attempted to do! Any idea on how to fix this? Please help! Thank you! I also tried to cast on the TV in my bedroom, and it does the same thing. I never even had the TV in the bedroom, turned on until this morning. I'm pretty sure it's an awful annoying glitch. How do you fix it? I should mention it won't work with my AllCast app. It's just pitch black,when attempting to cast to screen.  

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Re: Can't cast to screen, since Roku updated to 11.5 OS

Jump to solution

@_Xena_ 

It has been awhile since I used AllCast but I believe it was able to cast to the Roku through both "Play on Roku" and the "Roku Channel".

The Play on Roku protocol has been disabled for 3rd party casting apps in the OS 11.5.

https://community.roku.com/t5/Solving-playback-issues/OS-11-5-Roku-11-5-broke-Play-on-Roku-video-pla...

---

I just tried AllCast (again, it has been awhile) and two different connections showed up for me.  One was an icon of an apple, and the other was a box with Roku spelled out.  When I selected the apple, I was unable to cast to my Roku device. (I did not get a black screen, just nothing seemed to happen except the content displayed/played on my phone.)  When I used the icon with the Roku, the casting successfully worked.  I am thinking the apple may have been the legacy Play on Roku protocol.

When I switched between the Roku icon and the apple icon, I did see a quick flash of the Play on Roku screen, so I think that is what is occuring.

----

I used an Android MotoZ with v7 and an Ultra 4660.  The AllCast app was version 3.0.1.7

What was the particular content you were trying to cast (photos, server, file browser, etc)?  You can also try using Web Video Caster or Castify (both of these have been updated to use Roku Channel protocols) to rule out whether this is a universal problem for you, or just confined to the AllCast and your mobile device.

0 Kudos
_Xena_
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I didn't understand anything you said. I have a Android phone, I use to cast with. I was trying to play a movie, to no avail. It didn't work. I tried again this morning. It's still doing the same **bleep**. How can I get it to work, is the question, I'm asking, and wanting help with.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@_Xena_ 

Basically, these casting apps use different protocols, or methods, in able to cast a movie (or any content) from your Android to the Roku.

Generally, these methods included casting through a legacy protocol (1) Play on Roku, and a protocol that casts through (2) the Roku Channel.

With the 11.5 update, method (1) capability has been disabled by Roku.  Any casting app that used method (1) will no longer work.

-----

You mentioned that you used AllCast app on your Android to cast movies to your Roku.  AllCast uses  both methods (1) and (2) to cast content to the Roku.  When you are using AllCast and the screen "Searching for players" is displayed, you should see your Roku device listed twice. (it is listed twice because AllCast is providing you option to connect via method (1) or method (2).  Since method (1) will no longer work, you will need to select method (2).  On my Android with AllCast, method (2) shows a little Roku icon, indicating it will cast through the Roku Channel.  This is the working method.

---

If you cannot get the AllCast app working with your Roku and your Android, then try installing an app called Web Video Caster on your Android.  There is a free version available so allows you to test whether you can once again cast your movies/content since they use method (2) to cast through your Roku.

----

Feel free to update if still having issues or if the above is still not clear.  Screenshots are always helpful as well.  Also, please include a link to the casting app you are using to make sure we are talking about the same app.  This is the AllCast I am referring to. (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.koushikdutta.cast&gl=US)

0 Kudos