Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
casolorz
Roku Guru

Re: [OS 11.5] Roku 11.5 broke Play on Roku video playback

Jump to solution

@lylejk don't worry, not the first one to complain about the size on Windows because of that. We need to package it better. 

0 Kudos
RokuWseemann
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hi Roku Community,

I'm a Roku employee that works on this feature.

This is by design in the 11.5 update. Play on Roku was never intended to be used by third party apps but some developers reversed engineered the protocol and were using it to display QR codes on screen, among other unintended behavior. This presented a potential security risk. Therefore, Play on Roku was overhauled to limit third party access starting with 11.5. You should still be able to use Play on Roku via the official mobile app.

Thanks,
William

AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@RokuWseemann 

Thanks for the update and clarification.  Certainly clears things up.  Much appreciated.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

DanoGL
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

No way 💀💀💀💀💀

0 Kudos
lylejk
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I feel your pain, DanoGL.   Let's hope the developers figure out the buffering issues with the app.  The windows version of the app is a bit clunky (i.e, sometimes I have to cast twice for a video to play to Roku) but works so grateful that at least there is a Windows app, but currently, you cannot replay a video via remote with the Windows app (usually have my PC turned off once I cast a video).   The buffering appears to happen when playing videos of longer length; short videos almost play instantaneously at least for me.    As for security issues with 3rd party apps, I wish there was a way to opt in anyway so the legacy way would still work.   Maybe the developers can add a flag within the Media player itself so that if you check the box, you confirm understanding the risk allowing 3rd party apps to still work.  Again, in the meantime, there is a workable work around via the app but here's to hoping the old way (and arguable better way) to cast is returned.   🙂

DanoGL
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

The thing that makes me sad and pissed my dear @lylejk @is that Roku themselves disabled this… Is like they don’t want you to use the device that you bought like you want… there’s nothing bad with loading other videos via Play On Roku, honestly I don’t get why they would do something like that, there’s no point and there’s literally no purpose of that, just to get us mad, real mad…

0 Kudos
lylejk
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

No less than Apple's done with their products, sadly.   Have thought about going Raspberry Pi a few years ago and, as a benefit, actually have a real internet browser to go to places that you cannot with Roku, but then again, the only thing I currently do with RoKu is cast.   lol

Sadly, products refuse to innovate and indeed devolve because they want control of their product, innovation be d(bleep)mned.  Just a sad fact that happens when companies become too big.   Don't like that, then you have to take matters into your own hands.  So far, I've not.   Don't like the inconvenience but still options exist.  The only cool thing about the app is the Roku channel automatically launches when called from the Windows App.   Not really happy with the buffering issues, but maybe this will soon get addressed as well.  We shall see.  Have to work with what you have available and hopefully even that won't be taken from you.   Just the way technology is nowadays.   🙂

0 Kudos
lylejk
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

One more thing (and I forgot to share this earlier).  Believe you mentioned you had issues with youtube.  I have them as well and is why I use other front end sites such as Invidious (my favorite site) and also Piped to cast youtube vids.  My favorite incidence (and there are many) for invidious is vid.puffyan.us (won't put the http and stuff in front since I don't know what the rules here for sharing links are).   Once you go to either a piped incident or Invidious incident site, you need to go to settings and enably LBRY proxy (trust me).   Been using either invidious or piped for 6 months now and it has no problems pushing youtube videos to Roku.   🙂

0 Kudos
cotton19335
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

My other issue of not being ble to connect my android phone to the TV has not yet been resolved.  We have an app on our phone that we use to stream a spin class to the TV.  After the 11.5 upgrade, the TV screen will show the "Play on Roku" purple screen when the phone attempts to connect, but it them closes back to the home screen and doesn't finish connecting.  I have been unable to resolve this even after resetting, restarting, and unplug of TV.  I've also checked for updates of all apps and restared my internet router.

Here is my TV information:
TCL Model 55R635
Hardware ID A113X
Software version 11.5.0 build 4216-88
Device ID S05EY11WGLL1

Thank you.

Ok, so does that mean users can no longer screen mirror to Roku from a phone?  If so, that is disappointing.

0 Kudos
DanoGL
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I will check that out bro... And well, I hope the people at Roku reverses back this, I don't really want to change to another device like a Chromecast or something from that sort... 😪 I tried the Windows App but it doesn't have the IPTV option that I use on my mobile device, and can't watch my soccer anyways, as you say, I hope that gets addressed in an update

0 Kudos