Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DanoGL
Binge Watcher

Re: [OS 11.5] Roku 11.5 broke Play on Roku video playback

Jump to solution

Thanks @lylejk @AvsGunnar for your comments, It's kinda weird that the Play On Roku broke just because of this update, couldn't watch soccer today, if you @AvsGunnar manage to get an answer from the Web Video team, please let me now, I'm desperate!!! 😭 

lylejk
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Definitely we need a solution to this, DanoGL.   I like to push chill music to my Roku (thus sound system) before I hit the sack.  Now I have to do so another way (i.e, TV timeout feature and one of my Roku music channels; lol).   Use Roku instead of PC since I don't like leaving the PC running all the time (TV runs with screen in black mode (i.e, only sound).   Been doing this for years.   Gave my Roku3 to my brother when I picked up the Premier.   Still, that was nearly 4 years or  more ago, now.  Cannot believe how dependable these boxes are.   🙂

DanoGL
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Yeah, I feel sad for both of us… you can’t have your music and I can’t watch my soccer matches… hopefully the people at Roku fixes this sooner than later, until then, we probably are going to get crazy 😞 let’s just wait…

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Received a reply from InstantBits (Web Video Caster), and they indicated that unfortunately, they have no control over Roku legacy so recommended using the Roku channel protocol as they verified that is working properly.

Since this is affecting numerous casting apps as tested above using the Play on Roku protocol, will tag @RokuMary-F and @RokuDanny-R as a 11.5 update bug so they can forward to the team to look into.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

DanoGL
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Thank you so much for your cooperation, hopefully @RokuMary-F and @RokuDanny-R can help us, and this bug gets fixed as soon as possible

0 Kudos
lylejk
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Appreciated the update, AvsGunnar; hopefully, the team can figure out what change caused this issue and have either a work-a-round, or fix.   🙂

0 Kudos
casolorz
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Hi, I'm the WVC developer. I will be looking into this issue next week. Unfortunately I had a family emergency this week and I'm out of town and didn't think to bring a Roku with me. 

As you can imagine, we have very few users using Play On Roku (or legacy as we call it), so I'm curious what the use case is and how we can change our channel so we can allow you all to migrate to it?

I know someone mentioned less buffering which seems odd since the player is basically the same and it doesn't really allow any changes that could make buffering better or worse. But we are definitely interested on testing it so if examples could be emailed to us at webvideo@instantbits.com it would be really appreciated. Mention this post on the email please. 

Until we can look at this issue, the only alternative is to use the channel. 

Sorry for the inconvenience. 

lylejk
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

So long as you can use this with a PC, I have no beef.  Haven't checked to see if there's a way to use the channel with a PC yet, but I only have a flip for a cellphone (use my PC for everything I need as far as online things are concerned) so it's not able to use apps.  What's cool with Rokucast (legacy) is, once I push to the Roku, I can turn the PC off; other programs that use mirror techniques have to have the device still on.   Mainly just push MP4 vids to my Roku (thus TV sound system) before I hit the hay.  lol

Would be cool to just push MP3 files, but get errors when doing so.  Not sure why, but have no real beef pushing MP4 vids instead of music files; my tv screen itself is in black mode anyway (i.e, only hear sound through my amplified speakers).   🙂

edit:

Just checked and there doesn't appear to be a PC app that can work with the Roku Webcaster channel.  Guess I'll have to wait for a solution.  In the meantime, I'll just have to use my PC and then lock the screen (which will then turn off in a minute or so).   Still would much rather use my Roku for this; sound from the TV amplfier is much better to my ears then my PC speaks despite being BOSE3 speakers.   Yes; tweaked with Peace which is 100 times better than the default speaker profile, but again, my very old TV amplified speaker system is just better.   lol

🙂

0 Kudos
DanoGL
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I will send you an email when I am in home, thank you for your support and hopefully you can get your emergency sorted out. What kind of examples do you want? 

Btw, I was the one that told you the buffering issue, I find it weird too but that's how it works for some reason

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @DanoGL,

Thanks for providing the information needed!

We'll go ahead and send this over to the Roku team for investigation. We'll get back to you once we have an update available, I'll be sure to update this Community thread.

We appreciate your patience in the meantime.

Best regards,
Mary