Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DanoGL
Binge Watcher

[OS 11.5] Roku 11.5 broke Play on Roku video playback

Jump to solution

Everything was fine until my Roku Updated to 11.5, I use Web Video Caster for watching Videos, and it doesn't work anymore, it appears the "Play on Roku" screen and suddenly closes, this is 100% fault of the update!! Everything was fine yesterday...

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuWseemann
Reel Rookie

Re: [OS 11.5] Roku 11.5 broke Play on Roku video playback

Jump to solution

Hi Roku Community,

I'm a Roku employee that works on this feature.

This is by design in the 11.5 update. Play on Roku was never intended to be used by third party apps but some developers reversed engineered the protocol and were using it to display QR codes on screen, among other unintended behavior. This presented a potential security risk. Therefore, Play on Roku was overhauled to limit third party access starting with 11.5. You should still be able to use Play on Roku via the official mobile app.

Thanks,
William

View solution in original post

74 REPLIES 74
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku 11.5 broke Play on Roku video playback

Jump to solution

Hi @DanoGL,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

Can you please provide more information about the issue you are experiencing? 

Please provide us with the following information:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have this information, we will be able to investigate further.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@DanoGL 

I don't have 11.5 yet so can't test if related, but may be as seems to still be working on 11.0.

Web Video Caster is capable of using two different protocols to cast content.  Under Settings on the mobile app (upper left hamburger menu icon), verify you have "Show legacy Roku target" enabled. (this is the PlayOn protocol so you may have enabled already.)

When the available connections appear, you should have 2 options to connect, the "Roku Legacy" and the standard "Roku Channel" (non-PlayOn protocol).  You may even be receiving a message that asks you if you want this selection when selecting the Roku Legacy connection.

Try restarting both the Web Video Caster (close app, clear cache) and restart mobile device, as well as your Roku device and see if issue is resolved.  There also are some streams/content not supported by Roku, so try another content selection and see if issue persists.

Unfortunately, none of my Roku devices have updated to 11.5 yet so can't definitely give you a workaround since not seeing the issue.  

[Edited to Add]... Spoke too soon.  An 11.5 update became available that I could push through to the Ultra 4660.  (11.5.0 build 4216-46).  You are correct.  The video will not play when using the PlayOn/Roku Legacy connection, but will play when I chose the alternate protocol (Roku Channel).  Of note, it also worked when selecting through the message popup I mentioned before if you select the Legacy connection and it asks if you want to use the Roku Channel connection.  Also worked when I entered IP address manually.

The image below is the same Ultra, same IP address, just notice difference between the connection (Legacy vs Roku Channel).

Click on image to enlarge.

WebVideoCaster11.5.png

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
DanoGL
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Roku Express model 3930MX, serial number X004008MRV9S, device ID S011322MRV9S, OS version 11.5.0 build 4216-AE.

This problem occurs when trying to use the Play On/Legacy Roku playback option for Web Video Caster (v. 1.4)

Tracker ID 9s-410-367

0 Kudos
DanoGL
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Yeah, I know I can use the channel, but for some reason the legacy protocol gives me less buffering times, if not buffering at all, I don't know why is that, but well... Let's hope the people of Roku or Web Video Cast fix this, thanks for your feedback bro

0 Kudos
DanoGL
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Yeah, I know I can use the channel, but for some reason the legacy protocol gives me less buffering times, if not buffering at all, I don't know why is that, but well... Let's hope the people of Roku or Web Video Cast fix this, thanks for your feedback bro

0 Kudos
DanoGL
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Roku Express model 3930MX, serial number X004008MRV9S, device ID S011322MRV9S, OS version 11.5.0 build 4216-AE.

This problem occurs when trying to use the Play On/Legacy Roku playback option for Web Video Caster (v. 1.4)

Tracker ID 9s-410-367

0 Kudos
lylejk
Streaming Star

Unable to push MP4 videos to Roku after 11.5 build 4116 update

Jump to solution

Updated a few hours ago and just now try to push videos from my PC to Roku and now all that happens is the main screen refreshes and goes to home page.   Have a 4630X Roku Premiere+ if that helps.   Not a happy camper at the moment.  Yes, I restarted the Roku and even reset the network but to no avail.  I will add that after the animation finished during the initial update, I got no screen and had to do a power reboot but now the screen will come up after reboot.    Not sure why this happened other than something in the update broke the Roku Media Player since, as I recall, it is required in order to push vids between PCs and the Roku itself.

Forgot to add that I'm using rokucast to cast from PC to Roku.   Saw another thread that uses another program to cast so likely related but not sure.   🙂

lylejk
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I'm in the same boat; just created a similar topic and should have looked closer for yours.   Casting is broken with this latest build.  My bet is more will soon realize this soon.  I'm using a PC to cast and it may just be isolated to PCs.  If so, we may not see a solution to this one any time soon.  Now if it effects casting from other devices (smartphones and such), then there will be some flames a happening soon.  We shall see.   🙂

edit:
As a side, I'm using Rokucast to cast from PC so it's a different program than yours but same issue in the end.   🙂

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

I just got some time to try a couple different casting apps like Rokify (Castify) and also Video & TV Cast (2kit consulting).

Both these casting apps use the Play On Roku protocol and both failed to cast video.  The Play On Roku screen will flash, then turn to home screen.  These apps have a few built-in reconfigurations that attempt to serve the content in a different configuration and all failed. (app will ask if video played correctly, if not will attempt different configuration).

---

So, this does look like the issue is caused by the 11.5 update as was working before I updated my Ultra 4660 to address the issue brought up by @DanoGL  .  Whether or not these casting apps will have to perform updates on their end to address the issue, or a fix comes from Roku will yet to be determined.

I will contact Web Video Caster team since they are usually very quick to respond and address issues if they can.  For now, will need to use Web Video Caster Roku Channel option(not Legacy Connection which uses Play on Roku) if you want to wirelessly cast or mirror content to your Roku device.  Also, will be unable to use other mobile apps that use the Play on Roku protocol.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102