Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Re: [OS 11.5] HDCP errors on device

Hi @Bryan_Andre

Thanks for reaching out to the Roku Community. 

We're here to help. To clarify, have you tried to remove the affected channel and see if it helps? If you haven't tried it yet, you can remove the channel and re-install it. To ensure the process is successful, restart your device before adding the channel back in. We would recommend doing this from the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System  > System restart.

Keep us posted on how it goes.

Regards,
Nimfa

0 Kudos
Bryan_Andre
Reel Rookie

Hello,

Removing the app and reinstalling it after a system restart does not resolve the issue.

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

@Bryan_Andre 

Thanks for the update. 

Before forwarding your issue to the team, could you kindly provide us with the serial number of your Roku device, which can be found in Settings > System > About?

We will investigate the issue and provide you with a solution as soon as possible.

Regards,
Nimfa

0 Kudos
js162
Channel Surfer

Model 3930X - Roku Express
Serial number X00400CHLTMA
Device ID S008305HLTMA
Software OS/version 11.5.0 build 4312-AE
VIZIO
Roku channel only. Stopped after update. Only live channels were working after the update but those are going away as well
Tracker ID MA-088-140
No errors prior to 11.5.0

0 Kudos
js162
Channel Surfer

X00400CHLTMA

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Bryan_Andre
Reel Rookie

The serial number is X016004T35XC

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi Community users,

We appreciate you letting us know about the HDCP error with your Roku device and we will work with you to know what went wrong so we can assist you further and fix the issue.

Please be advised that HDCP errors happen when there is a problem with the physical connection or communication between your Roku and TV. Often, it's a simple matter of reconnecting the HDMI cable and switching to a different HDMI cable. For Roku Streaming sticks, and connecting to an HDMI extender.

If the error continues, review the suggestions for determining why from our Support page: What to do if you see an “HDCP Error Detected” message or a purple screen | Official Roku Support

This should resolve the issue you are experiencing, however, if the issue is still unresolved, please reply back and we will be able to assist you further

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
js162
Channel Surfer

Hi - so I was told to replace the HDMI cord. Considering I have this same issue on a ONN Roku TV and the phone app I don't think that is the answer. It is quite frustrating to say the least. Thank you.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Hello @js162 

Thanks for the post regarding seeing HDCP errors occurring on your Roku device.

Can you please specify the issue you are experiencing in regards to the behavior you are seeing? What are the steps to reproduce the issue and can you explain how the issue is occurring within the Roku mobile app in particular?

With more detailed information, we will be more than happy to assist you further. We look forward to hearing back your response.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
tim1962

I have the same issue on a Roku Max connected to a 1080P television. MagellanTV made these suggestions:

First, please go to Settings (at the bottom of the left-side menu) and open Video and Sound. At the bottom of the screen, you will see Advanced Settings.

1. If you see Auto - Adaption. Please click the Adaption button and change the setting to Max Start Bitrate. This will cause your device to start playing the film from the lowest resolution and stop when it reaches the highest resolution your device can play. See if this resolves the HDCP error messages.

If your device supports 4K but gets an HDCP message, you will have two additional settings to adjust. Please follow the steps below:

2. If you see the words Protocol and Ultra HD, we recommend starting with Protocol.
a) Change the setting under Protocol to DASH. Try the films again to see if this resolves the HDCP error.
b) If the error persists, click Protocol and return it to Auto.

3. The next step is to try changing the Ultra HD setting.
a) Change the setting under Ultra HD to Disabled
Try the films again to see if this setting resolves the error.
b) If the HDCP issue continues after these steps, please set each setting to:

Adaptation: Max Bit Rate
Protocol: HLS
Ultra HD: Disabled

Please try these advanced settings and let us know if the HDCP issue is resolved. We appreciate your feedback, and look forward to hearing from you. 

I tried these and set my receiver to only report 1080P capabilities and made sure the LG TV was actually 1080P.  The latter suggested settings from MagellanTV did not apply to my situation as I don't have a 4k HDR TV. Even with verification of the settings and adjusting the Adaptation as suggested, I still get the #20 error and trying to escape it usually meant pressing the Roku home button, but I found pressing the programmable button labeled "1" would make the error message go away and I could keep watching until a started another film and got another error message. A workaround for sure. For clarity, I don't have the issue on any other Roku apps, so I think it is something MagellanTV needs to fix.

Tim Brown

0 Kudos