Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HarveyDog
Binge Watcher

Re: Black screen and video freeze

Any update?  This is happening nearly every time I use my Streaming Stick.  It's so frustrating that my wife asked me to dump Roku and get a system that works.  But everything else about how the Roku works is top class, so I really don't want to go that route.  Maybe you could just restore the previous FW?

BTW - My Phillips Roku TV continues to work great without this problem.

0 Kudos
Marshal
Binge Watcher

Re: [OS 11.5] Black screen and video freeze

Complete a reset after removing the app from your device (or deleting it). This will guarantee that all present software is removed.

Reinstall Disney Plus by going to your app store or looking for it in the "apps" category of your Smart TV.

Launch the app once more and log in after Disney has been downloaded once more.

If the Black Screen persists, then check this detailed guide on How To Fix Disney+ Black Screen?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
HarveyDog
Binge Watcher

This has been happening for 2.5 months now.  Multiple people report the issue.  You've said that engineering is working on the issue, but no updates here for quite some time.

Is my Roku stick broken?  If so, will you send a replacement?

0 Kudos
HarveyDog
Binge Watcher

Note to readers of this thread:  There is another thread where people have been reporting a similar issue since last August.  There have been some solution approaches reported, but they don't work consistently for me (and others).

See:  https://community.roku.com/t5/Solving-playback-issues/Recordings-freezing-up-when-trying-to-fast-for...

0 Kudos
DsStreamer

Roku device model code- 3941RW - Roku Express 4K+

Software version 11.5.0 build 4235 last updated 10/26/22

Paramount Plus Issues! All TVs

We have been trying to watch Season 1 of 1883. It has stopped on all episodes. It will come to the advertisements and not play them. It will go back to resume/restart but not continue. Will give error messages :
unfortunately an error occurred during playback. Please try again.
Having issues watching the Good Fight - season 6 E5.
Have not been watching much else. We just started with paramount plus recently.

Another TV —Onn model 100097810, 11.5.0, build 4316-EG
having same issues. 
I have contacted Paramount Plus and our internet provider…..reinstalling App does not help.
no issues on IPad just TV’s where Roku is installed.

0 Kudos
HarveyDog
Binge Watcher

Turns out that there is also an extensive discussion of this issue on yet another thread.

See:  https://community.roku.com/t5/Channels-viewing/OS-11-5-Express-device-Video-Freezes-But-Audio-Keeps-...

No solution available yet on that thread.

0 Kudos
hobbyhound
Binge Watcher

It is a Roku issue. I have three Roku devices that work perfect. My fourth Roku, an Express 4K+ (3941RW software 11.5 build 4235-CR) has been "fixed" by changing my resolution to manual 1080p and turning off personalized ads but that doesn't work for most.

Don't fall for the "it is the network or provider" explanation. I love my Roku devices but I'm surprised how long this issue has persisted for many.

Brons2
Reel Rookie

That is how I "fixed" mine as well, turned off HDR and set at manual 4Kp30.

0 Kudos
RickyZ
Binge Watcher

MY RESOLUTION: I am the original poster who started this thread. A while back I posted what resolved this for me just in case someone is having the same issue and didn't see that resolution. I have a RoKu 4K Express that started freezing with the 11.5.0 update and 4196-CR build. It would start working temporarily with later builds but would fail again the following day. I tried switching the power from my TV's USB port to plugging the power directly into a power strip. The unit has worked fine since. If you are still having the issue and are plugging into the TV USB to get power, you might try that. 

0 Kudos
HarveyDog
Binge Watcher

Snakeoil on another thread reported that new SW became available for his 3 units last Friday.  He updated and everything was fixed!  His report today is that things are still working.

Roku has many different models so it takes a little time to get SW updates for each one.  New SW became available for my unit today.  It is version 11.5.0 build 4312.  I updated manually, which only takes a few seconds.  Things appear to work much better now.  I didn't see any freezing.  It seemed to respond faster as well, but that might just be my imagination.

I'll give things a much more extensive workout tonight, watching Monday Night Football and skipping all the commercials.

Note:  See https://community.roku.com/t5/Channels-viewing/OS-11-5-Express-device-Video-Freezes-But-Audio-Keeps-... for Snakeoil's reports.

0 Kudos