Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Black screen and video freeze

@daz1138

Thanks for the post and providing us with your information.

I have passed along your concerns and details to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Hi Community users,

If you have not already, can you please provide us with the following information:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times and provide us with this ID)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing 

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
HarveyDog
Binge Watcher

I have been having the video freeze issue for around the last 6 weeks (that's just a guess).  I get it when I fast forward recorded shows on my Tablo Quad DVR.  Symptoms are similar to reports from others.  It generally works the first time or two that I fast forward.  But after a few times, the picture freezes on  what it was before the fast forward), although the sound properly advances.  Note that this only happens on my Roku stick. I get past the issue by leaving the Table APP and reentering it.  But then it only works for one fast forward.  The next fast forward always freezes.

I have a Phillips Roku TV connected to the same Tablo DVR which works properly.

I pretty much never use fast forward on any other application so I don't know if they work.

Details:

• Model:       3820X - Streaming Stick 4k
  • Serial:        X01700GFGMJDL
  • S/W:          11.5.0 build 4235-CU
  • Device ID:  SO8Y422FMJDL
0 Kudos
jbaird58
Channel Surfer

Although I reported that the problem went away after receiving the 4235 build, it came back after two days.  This is going on for far too long.  Roku needs to get this fixed for good.

TracyC1

The video keeps freezing regardless of channel. I also looses connection every time I shut unit off.

Model: 3941X - Roku Express 4K+

Serial #: X01600Y7V9P4

Device ID: SO7P21D7V9P4

Software version: 11.5.0 | build 4235-CR

0 Kudos
RickyZ
Binge Watcher

Re: Black screen and/or video freeze, But sound keeps playing as it should.

UPDATE: Over the weekend the unit that was having the problem continued to work. To recap, it started working with build 4235-CR, but the next day it stopped working, which was similar to what happened with build 4225-CR. I switched the power from plugging into my TV's USB port, to plugging into a power strip. The unit has worked since. That may be a coincidence, but would be worth a shot if anyone else having this problem is plugging the unit into their TV USB. 

jpage99
Reel Rookie

Re: [OS 11.5] Black screen and video freeze / Express dongle broke-ROKU TV OK

I have two ROKUs.  an Express 4K+  and a Sharp/ROKU TV.  The Express has the same problem>>Frozen screen after fast forward.  The ROKU TV does NOT have the problem. 

Both are on software 11.5.0  build 4235. 

The Express started having this problem the day the update reached it.  I did a factory reset as last resort and it worked fine for a day.  Presumably until it updated again.  It is now back to "cannot fast forward without screen freeze"

0 Kudos
HarveyDog
Binge Watcher

My previous post described the freeze problem with my Roku stick.  It also described that my Phillips Roku TV works fine.  Here are the details for my Phillips Roku TV.

• Roku TV:  8656X
  • Phillips Model:  24PFL4764/F7
  • Serial Number:  X00900MTFSCJ
  • S/W Version:     11.0.0 build 4193-63
  • S/W Version last updated:  May 26, 2022 (last checked Oct 31, 2022)

To summarize, this Phillips Roku TV works fine (older SW version)

My Roku stick has the picture freeze problem (newer SW version)

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@TracyC1 @HarveyDog

Thanks for the posts.

I have passed along your concerns and information to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
jpage99
Reel Rookie

Re: [OS 11.5] Black screen and video freeze / Express dongle broke-ROKU TV OK

Update:  After reading Rickyz entry about power I changed usb ports on my older Vizio TV and so far the problem is resolved.  I tried lots of FFs, a few rewinds and jump-backs.  No problems.  I stand by my earlier analysis that after two years of good service the freeze problem appeared on the day after updating, It appears to me that build 4235 is more sensitive to sketchy power.  MAYBE??

0 Kudos