Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RickyZ
Binge Watcher

[OS 11.5] Black screen and video freeze

I don't know if this was from a RoKu software update, but RoKu 4K Express has two issues all of a sudden. First, if you go back or go forward, the picture freezes where it was, but the audio plays. It happens on Disney+ and HBOMax, Tubi TV, etc.  I have to exit the program and go back in to get the video to start again. Also, starting around the same time, now when I turn on the unit, it pops up the home screen for a moment, and then the screen goes black. It's actually running, because I can push the right arrow, push Enter on the remote, and the first channel opens. I get the picture thumbnail, but I can't see the guide (no writing). Everything is black on black. If I unplug the RoKu and plug it back in, that's fixed it so far. I've had this about a month. I have another one on my other TV that I bought at the same time, and I already had to return that one for a different problem. 

0 Kudos
60 REPLIES 60
UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

Re: Black screen and video freeze

You didnt mention your model #or firmware version:  Settings/System/About

FYI, Roku players (apart from the Roku 4) dont have power on/off capabilities/buttons - the remote buttons (Power/Volume/Mute) are for the TV/AVR, not the Roku.

For the first problem, its possible that your device upgraded to OS 11.5 ( firmware version 11.5.0-4196) - with further information it may be possible to address this.

For the second problem disable auto power savings:  Settings/System/Power/Auto power savings/After 20 minutes of inactivity = unchecked

0 Kudos
RickyZ
Binge Watcher

Thanks. I checked to see if there were any software updates before my original post and it said it was up to date. I just checked the device and it says the software version is 11.5.0 build 4916-CR. I confirmed that the video still freezes when going forward or backward. I just checked our unit on the other TV, and it is 11.0.0 and is not having the same issue. I see that 11.5.0 was just released (or announced) September 12th, so that may be the problem. Can I revert back to 11.0.0, or are they working on a patch for 11.5.0?

The issue with the unit coming on with a black, empty screen did not happen tonight, but I went in and disabled the Auto power savings anyway.

0 Kudos
UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

@RickyZ 

As I suspected your device upgraded to OS11.5 build 4196, which has app stability issues including FF/RW video "freezing" issues.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Hi @RickyZ

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Please provide us with the following information for further investigation:

1. Roku device model, Serial number, Device ID, Software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  2. Does this issue occur on a specific channel? If so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
  3. Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID)
  4. Steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have the information needed, we'll be able to forward it to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
jbaird58
Channel Surfer

Hi.  I am having the same problem.  Model: 3941X.  Serial: X01600JLMNRL.  Device: S07P515LMNRL.  Software: 11.5.0 build 4206-CR.

I noticed it first on Fubo when watching from the DVR.  Then I saw it in ESPN as well.  The issue was there but slightly different in Peacock.  The screen would go black and the show would not start.

I tried to get the tracker ID but it just exits when I press Home.

Reproduce is easy.  Watch a video in Fubo or ESPN.  Use the right arrow to go forward.  When you press OK to watch the sound starts correctly but the video freezes at the point you started FF.  The only way to get it going is to exit and resume the show.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@jbaird58

Thanks for the post and providing us with your information.

I have passed along your details to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
RickyZ
Binge Watcher

I remember replying to this request for the channels it is happening on and what version/builds, but I don't see that in the thread now.  Maybe I didn't hit submit? If not, here is that info:

The freezing when going forward or back on the stream happens with:

SFN TV Now | Version 2.13, Build 6

Disney Plus | Version 1.26, Build 2022093000

HBO Max | Version 52.40, Build 20

Tubi TV | Version 2.18, Build 3

Pluto TV | Version 5.20, Build 3

The one channel I've tried this on where it does not have the problem is Netflix, but the forward and back feature acts different on that channel. Instead of a simple progress bar, you have video thumbnails. Forward and Back still work on Netflix.

The instructions for getting a "Tracker ID" does not work, because when you push Home more than once you get an error tone that you are already "Home". The same with pushing the Back button more than once when you're on Home. 

To reproduce the problem all I have to do is push the Forward or Back button on the channels in the list above where it is not working.  

jbaird58
Channel Surfer

Thanks.  Is there an ETA for a fix from the company?

0 Kudos
RickyZ
Binge Watcher

I have not heard an ETA yet. I hope there will be a fix soon, since it sounds like they were already aware of the issue and considering how significant it is. I have two of the same units, and one has not yet updated to OS11.5. Maybe they have put a hold on those updates while they work this out. 

0 Kudos