Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: [OS 11.5] Audio Issues with my Roku Ultra since latest update

Hi @podzy27 @zenmanic,

Thanks for providing the information needed!

We'll go ahead and send this over to the Roku team for further investigation. We'll get back to you once we have an update available I'll be sure to let the Community know.

We appreciate your patience while we investigated this issue.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

[OS 11.5] Audio Issues with my Roku Ultra since latest update

Hi @J1553,

Thanks for reaching out to the Roku community!

In addition to the information you have provided, can you please provide the tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)? as well as the software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About).

Once we have this information, I'll be able to pass it along to our team who can investigate further.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
jontalk
Roku Guru

Danny

Similar to others I have a 5.1 surround system and recently updated OS11 to the latest build and find audio muddy on Netflix, Tubi, Prime and Apple TV+ among others. Audio is set to HDMI> Dolby>Passthrough and have tried shifting to Auto but it makes no difference. 

Roku Ultra 4800X, SN: X01000YC7LRJ. Wired high speed connection, Definitive Tech speakers, Onkyo Dolby Atmos receiver. 

What I mean by 'muddy' audio is it sounds muffled or a bit distorted which given my relatively high end speakers is disturbing. As to a tracker ID, its not needed since the audio problem occurs with every channel

Another issue with the most recent build is that it takes the user back to the home button when powered up again. Previous builds would return to the last channel selected so its obvious this build is buggy. 

Thanks

Power User (film maker)
Mill Valley, CA

Jonathan
Roku Ultra 4800R; LG OLED55B7A, ONKYO TX-NR636, Panasonic Blu Ray, Definitive Studio Monitor 450 (L/R), Definitive LCR 2000 (center), Definitive 10" sub-woofer, Definitive surrounds. Motorola MB8600 modem. Asus RT-AX68U WiFi 6 router. Western Digital Power Line network adapters
0 Kudos
JohnCap523
Roku Guru

Can you verify your build ends with C2 (look at About or Software Update)? (That’s the one with the shutting off problem. It just downloaded for me on 10/27).

0 Kudos
pubhead67

Re: Audio Issues with my Roku Ultra since latest update

Hey Danny from Roku- appreciate trying to help.. and I know you need to ask question me, but with 10+ pages of “me too” and growing daily, why don’t you simply tell people what Roku already knows- that  it’s a known issue with the Ultra withthe latest update + Auto audio mode? And switching to stereo mode can temp fix the issue until Roku comes out with a patch to fix? Would save us a whole lot of time and frustration. 

respect for what you do!! 

JohnCap523
Roku Guru

Re: Audio Issues with my Roku Ultra since latest update

This has always been the frustration with this forum…

0 Kudos
klossfam

Definitely has to do with the audio format struggling to be processed via the ARC HDMI connection. I have a Bose TV Speaker soundbar connected to the ARC output. 

Especially with local stations that are in Dolby Digital, the audio drop outs are brutal. Most stations that use stereo are fine, so I just had to set the Roku Audio mode to 'Stereo' which is fine with the soundbar.

Still frustrating that Roku can't clean this up. I have a 3810RW Ser# YH001M290768 that is running 11.5.0 (4235-50).

Ironically, if I reset to Auto as the Audio mode and output to my Sony AVR (connected to the TV via Optical), the Dolby Digital signal is fine. So this has to do with ARC HDMI connection processing causing the drop outs. 

mikegryn
Reel Rookie

Roku Ultra with Yamaha Receiver.  Using Wifi.

While watching Youtube TV noticed frequent audio dropouts.

Checked my other streaming services (Netflix, HBO Max, Disney Plus etc...) and didn't have any issues.

Only having audio dropout problems with Youtube TV within the past few weeks.  Roku updates automatically.

0 Kudos
podzy27
Reel Rookie

Yep it's been a pain and evidently they can't get it fixed. I'm thinking about switching to chromecast.

0 Kudos
Santa_Cruzer
Reel Rookie

I have exactly the same issue, it cropped up sometime last week.  It’s very annoying!  
I took advice here and switched the YouTube TV app over to stereo.  It eliminated the dropouts, but I no longer enjoy 5.1 sound on YouTube TV.

My guess, is we should be notifying YouTube of this problem.  Roku in the past has passed the buck onto YouTube for problems.

We can complain all we want here,  but they won’t be responsible for it if it’s a YouTube app.      Disappointing, they both are intermingled and need to cooperate on issues like this one for their customers instead of finger pointing.  

in the meantime, I’d suggest we also complain to YouTube and ask they fix it.

0 Kudos