Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Markus99
Channel Surfer

Re: [OS 11.5] Audio Issues with my Roku Ultra since latest update

Having the same issues here w/ v11.5 - just updated from 11.0 last night.  Roku Ultra 4k that's been in place for ~3 years now, hardwired to internet (400mb) and then HDMI to Anthem AVM-60.  Haven't had any issues in the last 3 years with it.

Now getting intermittent quick (<~1 sec) audio drop-outs / hiccups ever 20-30 seconds - as well as the lip-sync falling out of sync.  It's honestly unwatchable at this point.

Definitely something in the 11.5 upgrade... Honestly Roku needs a way to rollback to a previous firmware version as a short-term fix and their team here to bug-fix 11.5 to figure what's been screwed up from 11.0

Also worth noting that ARC volume control of my Anthem AVM using the Roku remote has been flawless and now is not working since the 11.5 upgrade last night.

I tried a factory reset of the device (which sadly had it auto-upgrade back to 11.5) and the problems remained the same.  For now I've only tried Peacock channel - as I was too annoyed last night to try more... 😞

trekkeriii
Roku Guru

I can confirm. If I use Stereo sound, it's fine, but if I watch titles on Peacock with DD+, I hear cutouts and it starts going out of sync. Roku Ultra 4660X on 11.5.0 build 4225-46. AVR is Onkyo TX-NR676.

Watching That 70s Show on Peacock at the moment. Happening on all episodes thus far.

If I pause and resume, it re-syncs. Annoying to have to do that when it gets real bad.

http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - AT&T- 1000 Mbps/1000 Mbps
Net+ Cert
seth_success
Reel Rookie

Try disabling variable refresh rate. That seemed to fix the sync issues for me with 11.5

Roku needs to fix this. Frustrating with their flagship Ultra product and buggy releases.

Markus99
Channel Surfer

Yeah, tried that. At least for me, this doesn't solve the issue using Peacock...

ttsig
Reel Rookie

Same issue with my Ultra after the 11.5 update.  Everything with my setup has worked great for years, now suddenly audio drop-outs in multiple apps.  Yes, I can set stereo and it will work, so at least there's that, but clearly something changed.

2ka
Streaming Star

[OS 11.5] 5.1 audio + Roku OS 11.5 = audio drop-outs?

There have been reports of short audio dropouts every 10-30 seconds when playing 5.1 surround sound on YouTube TV after upgrading to Roku OS 11.5. 

See this Reddit thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/youtubetv/comments/y4vz7v/51_audio_roku_os_115_audio_dropouts/

This just started for me. My son has a nearly identical setup, so we ran a controlled experiment. On 11.0, no dropouts. After the 11.5 upgrade, the dropouts starting immediately. This is just on the YouTube TV app -- others seem OK.  And it seems only to affect sound played on the receiver via the ARC channel. On the internal TV speakers there appear to be no dropouts.

I have two Ultras with TVs that have 5.1 receivers connected via ARC.  Both are affected.  Another 4K Streaming stick that seems OK.

jeffreyh51
Binge Watcher

Same here on all apps, primarily YouTube TV, DirecTV Stream, Prime Video, and Disney.

All devices exhibit the same issue...2-Ultras, 2-Streaming Stick 4K+s, and 1-Express.

Hurrifan1984
Channel Surfer

This just started for me. I've had the Roku Ultra connected to the same receiver hardwired to my network for years. I have gig internet service. Just got the 11.5 update and now this is happening. It is only happening to the YouTube TV app, no others. Netflix, Amazon, HBO... all are okay. Every 20-30 seconds the sound drops for a second. I can see the icons for my speaker setup on the receiver face turn off and on again like it is not getting audio signal. My Audio setup is set to AUTO in the Roku. I have a 7.1 and can do all Dolby and DTS versions. Again this just started with the 11.5 update. I hope they figure this out soon it is very annoying!

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

We would be more than happy to investigate the issue, but need more specific details. Can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times and provide us with this ID)
-are you connecting any external devices to your home setup
-are you using Stereo or DD+ when viewing the specific content when you see this issue occur
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing 
Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to look into further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Hurrifan1984
Channel Surfer

Thanks Danny. Here is my info - 

Model no. 4660X - Roku Ultra
Serial # - YJ003J109035
Device ID - CK3813109035
Software - 11.5.0 Build 4225-46
This only occurs on YouTube TV Channel for me:
YouTube TV version 2.22 Build 105005569

I am unable to retrieve the Tracker ID, as soon as I start hitting the Home button 5 times it pops me out to the main menu and then after hitting the Back button 5 times nothing comes up.

I have no external devices connected to it. I do have an SD card inserted.

When Audio set to "DD+/DTS-HD" is when the dropouts happen. Changing to "Stereo" the audio does not dropout.

Hope this helps.