Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sfsed
Reel Rookie

HDCP Error 20 - EVERY Morning

Model Express 4k purchased two months ago.  EVERY morning get HDCP 20 error and EVERY morning I have to power down, disconnect HDMI and power cable to reset.  Based on history of this problem - seems like Roku should finally issue a fix....

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: HDCP Error 20 - EVERY Morning

If your Roku device has a "power saving" option under Settings->System->Power try disabling it.
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
sfsed
Reel Rookie

Thanks but that didn't work . . . clearly a bug which Roku needs to fix given the number of reported errors.

0 Kudos
fluke
Roku Guru

This may indicate problems with the HDMI cable.

Most of the time limited one-off errors caused by the HDMI is hard to see.  HDCP is much more strict about any error during the handshake.  Intel created HDCP to convince content creators (such as Hollywood) that strong cryptography would be "protecting" their intellectual property.  Providing a standard that is convenient or robust for the end user doesn't seem to be part of the design.  If there is any error in the handshake over the HDMI cable, the crypto fails to verify the devices as HDCP approved.

Unplugging and plugging back in the power and HDMI cable forces it to attempt the HDCP handshake again.  If you don't want to play HDCP handshake roulette each morning, you will probably need an HDMI cable that doesn't periodically corrupt the handshake.   

0 Kudos
sfsed
Reel Rookie

Thanks for the thoughtful insight.  I did swap the HDMI cable with no change. If the HDMI cable is an issue, Roku should specify which cable is compatible or provide the correct cable even if that means the cost of the unit is higher to reflect the required cable.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku worked a few months; now every time I turn it on I have to fix Error 020. Ridiculous! Help!

@Spiritriver

Thanks for the post.

can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-what is your TV resolution
-is this a new Roku device?
-when did you start to see this issue occur?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
fluke
Roku Guru

@sfsed wrote:

Thanks for the thoughtful insight.  I did swap the HDMI cable with no change. If the HDMI cable is an issue, Roku should specify which cable is compatible or provide the correct cable even if that means the cost of the unit is higher to reflect the required cable.

I agree that better peer review of HDMI cables and recommendations in the Roku knowledgebase could help reduce a frustration.

This Reddit post talks about some specific cables that got good results with Linus Tech Tips (youtube) having performed professional testing.

It may also be possible you will end up with different results if you try a different HDMI port on the TV.

I had noticed previously I would get a HDCP warning when first turning on the TV but it a couple seconds later it would resolve itself without having to do anything.  I haven't gotten Roku OS 11.5 yet so I'm not sure what changes it makes.

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Earlier in this thread @renojim already mentioned:
"If your Roku device has a "power saving" option under Settings->System->Power try disabling it"

If that doesn't fix your problem:

If you are powering your Roku via a USB port on your TV that powers down when the TV is turned off, this could be the source of your problem.

When you turn on the TV and the USB port becomes energized, the Roku must start up from a completely power off condition.  The Roku may not boot up as quickly as the TV does.  If the TV tries to exchange information ("handshake") with the Roku's HDMI port before the Roku has booted up far enough to respond, the result can be that the HDCP confirmation is not obtained.  As you have found,  powering the Roku down and back up after the TV has started triggers a new HDMI "handshake" on most TVs which then can complete properly. 

Some things to try:

• When you get the HDCP error message, try to force a new handshake by switching the TV to a different input setting, then back to the HDMI input to which the Roku is connected.
  • Make a point of setting your TV back to a different input before you turn it off so that it does not check the Roku's HDMI port upon initial startup.  By the time the TV starts up and you manually switch to the Roku's HDMI port, the Roku may be ready to respond.

But these are both just workarounds.  The real solution is to power your Roku via a power source that does not turn off with the TV.  On some TVs you may have more than one USB port, one of which stays powered when the TV is off, or you may have a configurable option on the TV as to whether the USB port should remain powered up when the set is off.  Lacking this, you can power your Roku by connecting it to house power via a USB power adapter. 

In any case be sure the USB source you use, on TV or separate adapter, has a rated output of at least 1 amp.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Spiritriver
Streaming Star

Re: Roku worked a few months; now every time I turn it on I have to fix Error 020. Ridiculous! Help!

No I won't do that for the 5th time.  Besides, you're responding to the wrong person.  

0 Kudos
sds8
Reel Rookie

@atc98092  PM with @RokuDanny-R worked to get downgraded to 10.5.  11.5 must not be ready for wide release yet, but I'm happy...so far no more error 20!  Yay!!!

Thanks @RokuDanny-R !

0 Kudos