Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku worked a few months; now every time I turn it on I have to fix Error 020. Ridiculous! Help!

Hi everyone,

We're sorry to hear about the issue you're experiencing.

If you haven't yet, please provide us with the following information for further assistance: 

1. Roku device model, Serial number, Device ID, Software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  2. Does this issue occur on a specific channel? If so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
  3. Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID)
  4. Steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

We look forward to your response.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
99X
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku worked a few months; now every time I turn it on I have to fix Error 020. Ridiculous! Help!

Roku please just plug one of your own devices into a tv and let it go sleep after 20 minutes of inactivity. The error will occur when the Roku wakes up and you literally go to any app and hit play on any content, and you can diagnose the error yourself. It shouldn’t take people on here doing the diagnostic work for you and sending in all this info. It’s obviously an error that is robust and easily reproducible.

JohnCap523
Roku Guru

OMG, why didn’t they think of that! Problem solved!

(PS-i don’t get an 020 error on any of my Rokus…but hey, you must’ve “diagnosed” it.)

0 Kudos
Spiritriver
Streaming Star

Done!  Included were screen shots and all requested data, directly to you via PM, also to another Roku employee via PM.  Instead of looking forward to my response, look backward to those I've already sent.  

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@99X wrote:

Roku please just plug one of your own devices into a tv and let it go sleep after 20 minutes of inactivity. The error will occur when the Roku wakes up and you literally go to any app and hit play on any content, and you can diagnose the error yourself. It shouldn’t take people on here doing the diagnostic work for you and sending in all this info. It’s obviously an error that is robust and easily reproducible.

But the problem is it isn't easily reproducible. Many devices never show an HDCP error, so troubleshooting can be very difficult. The end user providing the requested information is very helpful as they attempt to troubleshoot the problem. In the meantime, have you tried the workaround of disabling the Power Saver function? That has resolved the issue for a number of users. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
StevenH
Reel Rookie

Re: Repetitive HDCP Error 20

I just purchased a new Roku Ultra 2022 Model 4802X and get the HDCP Error message 020 virtually every day when I select XFinity Stream Beta Version 6.7 Build 0. My S/N is X01000UG517V. Software is 11.0.0 Build 4193-C2. My Device ID is SODA222G517V. I have moved the Ultra to two different Panasonic Plasma TVs: Panasonic TC-P42X1 and P50X1. I have tried every method described in the forum. If I merely unplug the device and replug it, the message clears. This is a hassle to have to constantly unplug the device. I have a Roku Streaming Stick 4K+ that I have used on both TVs without any issues whatsoever. If this cannot be remedied, I will be returning the Ultra.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Hello @StevenH

We're sorry to hear about the issue you're experiencing.

Could you tell us what's the resolution of your TV? Is it 1080p or lower? Please let us know. We'd like to know more about how we can help.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
StevenH
Reel Rookie

Both my Panasonic plasma TVs are technically 720p but are able to deliver 1080p pictures. They date back to 2009. The Roku Ultra is currently plugged into the HDMI arc port. The other TV does not have an arc port, only HDMI ports. I have tried setting the Ultra to 720p, 1080p, and auto settings, but continue to get the error message on all three. Very frustrating!

0 Kudos
DocHoliday62
Binge Watcher

Ok let’s use some common sense here, the problem is on Roku end because to many people are having this same problem on a wide variety of TVs and/or AVRs with the latest 2 Roku models. Only way it will be fixed is by Roku, it’s just that simple, Roku can’t figure it out… I have no issues using Apple 4k or Amazon Cube 4k with same HDMI cable’s which are certified high speed for 4k to 10k and backward compatible and will work with HDMI 1.4….2.0 a and b plus is compatible with HDMI 2.1…. HDCP 2.2 and 2.3 and as I said are HDMI certified plus many tech sites even recommend this brand. So once again the problem is on Roku end if they don’t fix it just get a 4k Firecube or Apple 4k player. I own all 3 and Roku is the only one with this problem. Common sense people…Common Sense 

JohnCap523
Roku Guru

Yes yes, common sense is Roku knows very well the issue is a result of the 11.0 update. Unfortunately for them, their magic wand is in the shop.

But I’m sure you feel much much better now after your very pointless rant…

0 Kudos