Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
willy2022
Channel Surfer

Re: HDCP Error Detected (Error 020)

1. It seems to me that ROKU has not informed their customer support people that they are aware of the problem and working on it.. Customer Service continues to tell customers that they are unaware that users are experiencing HDCP error issues. Implication is that it is us the users that causing the problem. Bad cables, bad ports, bad WIFI, old TVs, etc.

2. In order to solve this problem ROKU engineering needs to recreate this problem in their test lab where they can analyze the HDCP message interaction with TV devices and content. My guess is that this is not the first time they have had issues with HDMI message handling.

3. If ROKU is unable to recreate this issue in their test lab then they should select a small group of customers that are currently experiencing persistent HDCP error messages and download some instrumentation software that will capture the HDMI HDCP message interaction. 

4. In any event once the message data is captured engineering can analyze why this problem happens and what unique circumstances cause HDCP error messages.

5. This is a common approach to message/protocol handling resolution. Not sure why ROKU is unable to get this completed in a timely manner. It seems to me that this is a relatively simple issue to resolve.

6. ROKU Support continues to ask it's customers to do the work for them. Send them details about the issue, TV setup, HDMI cables, TV ports, software Reve/build. ROKU should have voluminous information from customers about this HDCP error message problem but continues to ask repeatedly for more information. I had this discussion recently with tier 2 support. They seem unwilling to do anything other than ask for more information.

7. It's time for ROKU engineering to step up and put a plan in place to identify the root cause for HDCP message errors. This HDCP error issue has gone on long enough.

8. I'm losing confidence in ROKU as a company due to their failure to respond appropriately to this issue.

0 Kudos
Paul22
Streaming Star

Re: HDCP Errors after trying every fix

Hello. I’m having this HDCP issue intermittently with a brand new Streaming Stick 4K that I just bought a few days ago. It’s connected to a 15+ year old Samsung 1080p tv that is HDCP 1.4 compliant. I’ve already tried a bunch of suggested fixes, including disabling auto adjust refresh rate, changing the display type from auto to 1080p, and plugging the stick into different HDMI ports. I still get this HDCP error randomly.

I tried a Fire TV stick and Chromecast on the same tv, and those devices worked perfectly fine. No HDCP error. I switched to Roku because I like the simplified experience but if this keeps happening, I will be returning it and will switch back to the Fire TV stick.

I think Roku needs to send out a firmware update to fix this problem on their devices.

PLEASE HELP FIX THIS.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Spiritriver
Streaming Star

I recently switched ISPs, due to the poor service of my previous one.  In fact, I've nicknamed them "infrastructure slumlords."  I call them that due to their apparent logic that they are making enough money providing service that they have no motivation to improve, just as a slumlord expects to collect about the same amount rent from a falling apart unit as they would an updated one.  

I suspect that Roku is using the same cost-benefit analysis regarding this issue.  There must be more profit in selling a dysfunctional product and convincing the customers it's theirs or their equipment's fault, than there is in resolving the issue.  

I suspect they've replicated the issue zillions of times.  I also suspect that quite a few Roku employees are using alternative streaming devices.  

0 Kudos
JohnCap523
Roku Guru

You’d be wrong. I know for a fact they have not yet been able to replicate it in the lab… But if grousing over a first world issue as devastating as an HDCP error makes you feel better…

Jeez, I haven’t noticed you posting a report…

0 Kudos
JohnCap523
Roku Guru

Re: Roku Ultra 4800x gives me HDCP errors.

Haha A+… That’s some old school… I owned an IT company for 20 years…

0 Kudos
willy2022
Channel Surfer

It's hard to believe that ROKU is unable to replicate this persistent HDCP error problem in their test lab but assuming that it's true them I would invite them to visit my site where I can demonstrate this problem across multiple ROKU devices and TVs. I doubt that they will take me up on the offer.

If their test organization is unable to replicate this HDCP error problem then it might point to the reason this problem was released by ROKU in the first place - ineffective release testing. It's probably time for the test group to look at their use case database to make sure that they have effective code coverage in their test process.

On-site debugging is not something engineering ever wants to do but given the circumstance it seems like the next logical step in root cause analysis.

My suggestion to ROKU  engineering is to find a customer site closest to your engineering team that is having persistent HDCP errors and arrange a testing site visit.

Point to consider - several of us have used HDMI splitters to mitigate these HDCP errors. So far no one at ROKU has been able to answer my questions as to why this solves the problem. 

AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@willy2022 

"Point to consider - several of us have used HDMI splitters to mitigate these HDCP errors. So far no one at ROKU has been able to answer my questions as to why this solves the problem."

The reason some of these splitters will work to resolve HDCP errors is because they are normally non-HDCP compliant.  These non-compliant splitters merely ignore the HDCP request when placed between the device sending a HDCP request (a streaming or gaming device), and the receiving device that is supposed to confirm compliance (your TV).

Not all splitters are HDCP compliant.  If you purchase a HDCP compliant HDMI splitter, then these splitters will comply and pass along the request/confirmation signal.  Only non-compliant splitters will ignore these requests and simply pass on the video signal.  Sometimes the only way to get an older HDTV to get along with new technology.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Spiritriver
Streaming Star

Does the use of a non-compliant splitter affect signal quality?  

0 Kudos
willy2022
Channel Surfer

No. The splitter passes the signal without delay or quality degradation. I have had zero problems since installing the three HDMI splitters on three different ROKU devices - (2) Ultra's and one Express.. 

Pretty annoying to spend money to solve ROKU's problem with HDCP errors. ROKU Support is clueless. They have voluminous detailed information about this issue but continue to act as if you are the only one having this problem. "maybe it is the content you are watching", "maybe your TVs are too old to support HDCP". "maybe your cables are defective", "maybe your HDMI cable is too long". "please send me all your details and I'll get back to you". Endless loop.

Bought splitters on Amazon

OREI HDMI Splitter 1 in 2 Out 4K - 1

Once installed I have not seen any HDCP error messages.

0 Kudos
rok1233
Reel Rookie

Still don't know why they cannot roll back the updates to 10x for those of us who need it. Seems like that would be fairly easy.

0 Kudos