Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rxman59
Reel Rookie

Re: [OS 10.5] Screen frozen on "Introducing Roku OS 10.5" and remote not working

Jump to solution

Yes, I have the same problem.  The screen just FREEZES with that stupid message of OS upgrade.  None of the buttons on the remote work.  Finally, out of shear desperation, I turned the tv off and then on, while I was in "ROKU" mode.  When the TV came back on, I was able to bypass the message.  Maybe this will work for you.  Good luck.  This has been brutal!!!

charlesadamek
Channel Surfer

Re: introducing Roku OS 10.5 screen frozen and won't respond to remote control

Jump to solution

OK. I tried that. Removed batteries, unplugged Roku unit. Re powered and inserted batteries. Still no response. None of the buttons on the remote does anything.  

HOWEVER when I tried the Roku app on my Android I was able to control the the Roku. At least that worked but I am disturbed that the remote is useless

charlesadamek
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Further to my earlier post. I am not very tech savy, but am I right in inferring that since I CAN control Roku using that phone app but not the remote, that means the remote is not paired with the base unit? Other than the power up/down suggestions, is there any other method of pairing the units?

JDUB618

OS 10.5 Update stuck on screen announcing OS 10.5

Jump to solution

Yesterday my Roku worked fine. Today I went to watch a program and was met with a screen announcing the OS 10.5 update with two options: see new features or no thanks. I could not scroll up, down, sideways, back, home, or anything else. 

I read some other posts and tried unplugging the Roku for 10 seconds and then plugging it back in. Nothing. Tried unplugging the Roku, taking the batteries out of my remote, plugging the Roku back in, and putting the batteries back in the remote. Nothing. 

Tried turning the TV off and back on again. Nothing. And I mean literally nothing. 

It wiped out all my TV channels. I have open (OTA) broadcast. Rescanned all the channels and I get nothing. The other TVs in the house still work fine. 

THE OS 10.5 UPDATE BROKE MY ENTIRE TV. 

I have no idea what to do at this point.

kayfamblymom
Reel Rookie

Roku frozen after newest software update

Jump to solution

I have a Roku Stick.    It was working perfectly until this new update.

I have rebooted Roku at least five times (yes unplugged it longer than 10 seconds and I have tried the black button on the stick) and I have also rebooted my modem and reset my network twice

In each case, the home screen comes up but my remote is frozen.  I have changed the batteries and nothing.  

I cannot get to settings to do a hard restart as the remote is frozen.  

Please help 🙂   

renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@charlesadamek, use the app's remote to navigate to Settings->Remotes & devices->Set up a new device and follow the prompts.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
PawPawRon
Streaming Star

Re: Roku frozen after newest software update

Jump to solution

Ever since the software update, we cannot access most of our paid channels, Hulu, Prime, etc. Did the reset, unplugged, waited, replugged, did hard restart from settings? Seems like they should have done more beta testing on their latest software update before screwing up everyones day

Brian48

Re: OS 10.5 Update stuck on screen announcing OS 10.5

Jump to solution

I just had the very same problem. What is Roku doing to fix this

JacJar1020

Jump to solution

You can download the Roku remote control app on your iPhone. I used that to get past the update screen and then used it as my remote. The actual remote still doesn’t work though.. I may order a replacement one to pair. 

charlesadamek
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@renojim Thanks for the help. I got to the point where I am supposed to push a pairing button but I do not see one in the battery compartment nor on the back of my remote unit, It is a relatively old model with the simple remote.. The screen help feature says for additional information go to go.roku.com/remotehelp. 

There it says "To set up a Roku simple remote, you only need to insert new matching batteries and point the remote directly at the front of your Roku device when you are using it."

I did that and still not joy. Do you have any further suggestions?