Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
beekermartin
Reel Rookie

Re: “HDCP Error Detected” message after software update - changing display auto select function to 7

I have suddenly started having the same issue but so far only while watching HB Max and Curb Your Enthusiasm. Everything else I have watched has worked perfectly. My TV is capable of 4k/HDR at 60hz. I have tried 3 different HDMI cables including two HDMI 2.1 8k/60hz cables but they all have the same random issue. Sometimes the show will start other times I get the HDCP warning on screen and the audio for the show playing. I never had this issue until recently. This is either a hardware or software issue. Very frustrating to say the least. 

dougster32
Reel Rookie

Re: [OS 10.5] HDCP error on Roku Ultra 4800RW

Danny,

My Roku Ultra is connected directly to my HDMI port (ARC) on my TV.  I have tried all 4 HDMI connections with the same result. The problem is persistent no matter which app I open and try to watch. Within 30 seconds or less of opening an app (let's say Disney + for example), a black screen appears with a title of "HDCP Error Detected".

Steps are listed to resolve the issue and I did that a few times and it worked but now it no longer fixes the problem.  I've tried new HDMI cables which didn't fix it. 

Here's my TV/Roku info:

TV

Vizio Model-M551a-A2 (Version: V2.1.18.0888_125)

Roku

Roku Ultra Model 4800X

Serial Number-X01000RA9XNV

Device ID-S02A208A9XNV

Software Version-10.5.0 Build 4198-C2

Tracker ID-  NV-450-679

RokuIrene-S
Retired Moderator

Re: “HDCP Error Detected” message after software update - changing display auto select function to 7

Hi @beekermartin @Skeptical_Lad

Thanks for the info.

We would be more than happy to look further into this issue for you.

Can you please provide us with the following information:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • Does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
  • Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
  • Steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have this information we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate team to investigate further.

All the best,
Irene

RokuIrene-S
Retired Moderator

Re: Build 4198 and HDCP errors

Hi @ALASKABADGER @sigmunds 

We would be more than happy to look further into this issue for you.

Can you please provide us with the following information:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • tv brand and model
  • does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
  • tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
  • steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have this information we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate team to investigate further

All the best,
Irene

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@TahoeLady @Bogey62 @Josh299 @dougster32

Thanks for the posts and providing us with your information.

I have passed it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Once more information is available, I'll be sure to update this thread.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
sigmunds
Binge Watcher

This is the second time I have provided this information,

Device – Roku Ultra 4800X

Serial Number—X01000DY6KP9

Device ID S02A208Y6KP9

Software OS version 4201,  It started with version 4198 which came on 11/4

This error occurs on all channels YouTube build 94005087, Spectrum Version 6.9 build 1, Sling Version 8.10 build 1636.  It occurs on all 57 other channels. I get sound on all channels but in place of the video is the message that says HDCP Error Detected Error 20

This device worked perfectly for the last few months, until 11/4..

Maybe I need a new device.

Bogey62
Binge Watcher

I had the same issue as all of you. My guess is the update made the system much more picky due to copyright nonsense.

I bought a new TV a few days ago to replace my 8 yr. old Vizio and now it works flawlessly again. Thanks for forcing me into this, Roku.

Skeptical_Lad
Binge Watcher

Model: 4800X - Roku Ultra
Serial number: X01000H53A07
Device ID: S02A21353A07
Software Version: 10.5.0 - build 4193-C2
Happens on all channels - menus are good then no visual (just audio) when streaming actual content
Timestamp: 2021-11-11T05.28.32Z
Issue ID 07-452-488 to report the current issue

Steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing:
1) let the Roku Ultra sleep for an hour or two
2) when going to HDMI Input for the Roku you don't see the aquarium sleep screen
3) press Home one or more time until the Roku menu appears
4) navigate to an app (Amazon, Netflix, PBS, etc.)
5) open the app menu and navigate to a show you would lie to stream
6) start streaming the show: immediately get a black screen showing:
“HDCP Error Detected” message and "Error 020" (we can still hear audio of the show but no video)
7) following the steps in < https://support.roku.com/article/208755468 > will temporarily fix the problem but as soon as the Roku Ultra sleeps long enough for the aquarium scene to disappear, the “HDCP Error Detected” message and "Error 020" problem reappears

kathi
Channel Surfer

Getting really frustrated with Roku, have had several devices through the years and always suggested these as the best streaming solution.  Now, Roku has updated and first two of my older devices no longer work and now my newest one is doing this HDCP error message so I have no streaming Roku devices that work.  Now I have to buy a new cable and hope my last remaining device will work again.  I am not replacing an older tv that is working fine and has hdmi inputs just because Roku is breaking all the devices.

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@sigmunds 

Thanks for the post.

Looking at this thread, it doesn't look like you previously provided us with the information that we requested, so thanks for the information.

Can you please provide us with the TV brand and model number that you are experiencing the HDCP error with when connecting to your Roku device?

In the meantime, we have passed along your information to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator