Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ALASKABADGER
Reel Rookie

Re: Build 4198 and HDCP errors

Thanks for your reply.  At least I'm not alone, or losing my mind.  Does anyone from Roku monitor this forum regularly?  

sigmunds
Binge Watcher

This only is  a problem on one Ultra.  The other works fine as does my Roku TV  I believe the latest upgrade is the root of the problem

dougster32
Reel Rookie

Re: [OS 10.5] HDCP error on Roku Ultra 4800RW

Same issue with my Roku since the latest update (10.5.0 build 4198-C2) installed.  I've had it connected to the same tv with the same cables since I purchased it with zero issues.  It wasn't until the latest update that it stopped working.  FIX THIS Roku!

Skeptical_Lad
Binge Watcher

“HDCP Error Detected” message after software update - changing display auto select function to 720p

I purchased a Roku Ultra 4800X in April and have been using it without problems on an older Sony Vizio via HDMI. A few days ago, we started getting an error “HDCP Error Detected” message when we try to stream a show. The menu, etc. still work fine, we connect to a streaming channel and select a show and then get a black screen with the "Error 020 (we can still hear audio of the show). I tried various HDMI cables and ports on the TV but none work. When the Roku scans the HDMI port, it sees a 720p with HDCP 1.4 capable. I cannot set the Roku to stream at 720p without HDCP. Software version = 10.5.0 build 4198-C2.

I have done the recommended fix suggested in "What should I do if I see a “HDCP Error Detected” message or a purple screen?"  < https://support.roku.com/article/208755468 >.  Didn't help.

Clearly, the software update has broken our ability to use Roku. How can I set the Roku to stream like it did before the software update ?? Nothing changed or was moved with our setup and everything was working just fine a few days ago. The only change is Roku software update.

sigmunds
Binge Watcher

Somehow in mid-afternoon today I was able to use my Ultra without the HDCP.  So far so good.  I hope you have some luck.   I don't know what made it work.

sigmunds
Binge Watcher

Same error came back this morning.  Purple screen also.

Skeptical_Lad
Binge Watcher

Re: “HDCP Error Detected” message after software update - changing display auto select function to 7

I went out and bought a new HDMI cable: 4K HDR HDMI Cable 3 Feet, 4K 120Hz(4:4:4, HDR10 ARC HDCP 2.3/2.2) 1440p 165Hz High Speed Ultra HD Bi-Directional Cord 26AWG Compatible with Apple-TV Ps4 Xbox One.  Cost: $12.

This solved the problem, at least temporarily (viewing the Roku Community comments, this seems to be a continuing problem for many folks, for years).  My Roku Ultra now sees the HDMI port on the TV as 1080p with HDCP 1.4 capable and is working again. 

If I again start to get the dreaded “HDCP Error Detected” message, I will update this post again.

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: [OS 10.5] HDCP error on Roku Ultra 4800RW

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

Can you please provide more information about the issue you are experiencing? How are you connecting your Roku device? Is the device connected directly to your TV or is it connected to an AVR.

In the event that you device is connected to an AVR, we would recommend connecting directly to the TV to see if you are still experiencing an issue.

-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-tv brand and model
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have this information, we will be able to investigate the issue further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
Skeptical_Lad
Binge Watcher

Re: “HDCP Error Detected” message after software update - changing display auto select function to 7

The fix didn't take.  I let the Roku Ultra sleep for a few hours and the “HDCP Error Detected” message returned with the "Error 020" displayed.  The auto detect now sees 720p with HDCP 1.4 capable.

I unplugged both the Roku and the TV, disconnected both ends of the brand new HDMI cable, reconnected the cable after a few minutes, and restarted both the TV and the Roku.  The Roku worked again at 720p (until the next time we turn on the Roku ??).

Skeptical_Lad
Binge Watcher

Restarted Roku again this morning and got the same “HDCP Error Detected” message and unable to stream anything.  Unplugged both Roku and TV and disconnected/reconnected the HDMI cable and repowered both the Roku and TV.  Roku worked again.  However, the auto detect display feature no longer recognizes my 1080p connection.  It now only sees a 720p . . . 

This is ridiculous.  We should not have to jump through these hoops every time we want to use our Roku.  This was caused by a software update and should be fixed by a software update.  Or, this was caused by a failure of a component in a 7 month old Roku Ultra and this device should be replaced, free of charge, by the company.  This is unacceptable.