Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jrags51

Re: HDCP Error Detected (Error 020)

Jump to solution

Hi,

Getting the same error, I have only one HDMI port on my TV, Changed the HDMI cable a few times.

This error comes up every time I turn on the unit. Ever since the last update I've been getting this error.

You shouldn't have to go through this every time you turn on the TV. Thinking about a factory reset.

If I simply unplug the HDMI cable from the unit while every thing is on it clears itself.  You need a fix for the last update and fast! This doesn't happen on my Fire Stick!  This is **bleep**!

0 Kudos
ravim
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

All: If you are still having issues and try disabling power save mode. Several of us have tried and hasn't happened to us since. 

Meanwhile I contacted Roku Support a few weeks ago and they finally came back to me with an update. Since I didn't have the issue anymore, I decided not to give it a try. 

0 Kudos
stevecon
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I have an Ultra.  It worked fine and suddenly got these HDCP errors.  I went thru the seemingly daily routine of turning off / disconnect / wait / reconnect / turn on and even replacing the cable TWICE until I called and complained to enough people that Roku agreed to replace the Ultra.  No help with the new device - same problems.  Fed up, I disconnected it and put it away.  I then realized I have NO errors with my steaming sticks.  If the cable is the problem (as Roku claims and there is no cable anyone has found that works well "enough" for Roku), then why not cut the cable out?  I bought a 4K Roku streaming stick over a year ago and have NEVER once been shown a screen complaining about HDCP errors.

Solve the problem like I did:  Disconnect the Ultra, get the 4K streaming stick, plug it DIRECTLY into the TV's HDMI jack and be done!

Good luck & Enjoy TV again from the comfort of your chair and get up when YOU want - not when your TV demands it.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @stevecon

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community.

Please provide us with the following information:

1. Roku Ultra model, Serial number, Device ID, Software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  2. What's your TV resolution? Is it 1080p or lower?
  3. Did this issue only start with OS 11.0?
  4. Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID)

With this information, we will be able to assist you further.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
BrentG

Re: [OS 10.5] HDCP Error - need assistance

Jump to solution

I know I can't help but this is both massively disappointing and mystifying.

So far, it only happens in the ROKU channel.

The odd thing is, the device is clearly detecting "1080p HDCP 1.4". That's what it tells me. That's how I know I have HDCP 1.4.

I have tried literally EVERYTHING here and on Youtube. I have about half a dozen HDMI cables and I've tried them all. I've tried four different HDMI ports on TV. I have UNPLUGGED everything...not just turned it off. I've pulled all of the cables off the (Express)device and the TV. I've **bleep** near turned off the breaker to the whole house.

It keeps telling me my display is 1080p HDMI 1.4...until I try to watch something and then it says, "All connections must support High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection"...which it says I have. I've fiddled with resolution and display refresh. If there is ANYTHING left to try, I'd like to know about it.

I'm pretty much at my wit's end. How can I make it detect HDCP when it tells me that it DOES detect it...but still gives me the error?

0 Kudos
MikeSW1974
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

yea pretty much the only thing that's worked is to turn off that power saver feature

0 Kudos
vashley

Jump to solution

I tried to resolve this error message issue but nothing worked! 

How can I talk to someone to help me?

0 Kudos
miadlor
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Go to Sunday Mass.

Roku is not listening. 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@vashley wrote:

I tried to resolve this error message issue but nothing worked! 

That really doesn't tell us anything. Exactly what did you do? What model Roku do you have? Have you tried turning the Power Saver function off in the settings? That last item has solved the issue for many users. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
XITPro
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Agree, for now, If the power saver “Work Around” temporarily fixes this issue then use it.

Bottom line, Roku needs to address this issue. Disabling a feature isn't the solution.

Unfortunately there is no tech support, from what I can see it appears the company relies on the community of users to function in that department.

So here you go Roku, my 2 cents; If the 4k Ultra is not backwards compatible (doesn't work well with 1080p etc.) then maybe the (HDCP error screen) could be a bit more descriptive regarding that so your customers are not chasing their tails, wasting time and money.

And if it can be resolved through software, hopefully you can get that done soon, and it would also be nice if you could notify your customers, of the pending update.

0 Kudos