Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Joshua1
Reel Rookie

[OS 10.5] HDCP Error - need assistance

Jump to solution

Why did my Roku display a message saying, "HDCP Error Detected"? Will a factory reset get rid of the "HDCP Error Detected" message?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: HDCP Error

Jump to solution

@Joshua1

Thanks for the post.

We would recommend taking a look at the troubleshooting steps provided by our Support page here: What should I do if I see a “HDCP Error Detected” message or a purple screen?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
103 REPLIES 103
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Joshua1

Thanks for the post.

We would recommend taking a look at the troubleshooting steps provided by our Support page here: What should I do if I see a “HDCP Error Detected” message or a purple screen?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
roifitd

Jump to solution

Had the HDCP error on and off after setting up my ROKU Ultra. Went through all the suggestions to fix the problem ROKU had on their site. Nothing helped, HDCP error would pop up once in awhile then program would come back on and stream normally. I finally realized I had the HDMI plugged into the HDMI(arc) input and thought maybe that was the issue. I plugged the HDMI cable from my ROKU into a normal HDMI input and all has been fine for the last week and I anticipate no further problems. Hope this helps someone and if it has already been tried I wish I would have found it a month ago. 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@RokuDanny-R this has started popping up on my Ultra 4640. No equipment or cable changes. The movie will be playing for quite some time, then the error message appears. After 3-5 seconds the error goes away and the video continues. Of course, the audio has continued while the error was displayed, so the video itself was still playing. I also noticed the screen simply went black for a couple of seconds a time or two. Total time spent watching the movie was about 1 hour +10. This particular video was on the Disney+ channel, 4K UHD.

This particular Roku isn't heavily used, so I can't say if it just started or if it's been this way for a while. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
ravim
Binge Watcher

HDCP Error Detected (Error 020)

Jump to solution

I followed the instructions but I keep getting error every couple of days. After I follow the instructions in the link it works but happens again.

This started happening after the latest Roku software update (~04/20/22). I have had this stick for months without a single issue but since the last software update, I have been having other issues too. 

dilydaly
Reel Rookie

Re: HDCP Error Detected (Error 020)

Jump to solution

We have three different Roku units in our house and since last weekend all three keep having this error at different times.  Have done unplugging of things...resolves issue for a day or two and then comes back.

ravim
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

It is still happening to me on daily basis. I am surprised no one from Roky has addressed the issue? I have another Roku stick but based on your experience does not look like replacing the stick will make the problem go away. I am surprised no one from Roku has responded yet.

AngelWithAnEye
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Same thing happens to me.  Definitely an issue.  I just don’t get it.  Roku really needs to look into this and let us know they are doing so.

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

If you are experiencing an issue with HDCP, we would recommend taking a look at the information provided by our Support page here: Fix an HDCP error

If you are still unable to resolve the issue, can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have this information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
Jdiller

Jump to solution

Issue report tracker:

Model 3931RW roku express+

Serial number x094009TDWEN(S012299TDWEN) 

SOFTWARE VERSION 10.5.0 BUILD 4208-AE

TIMESTAMP 2022-05-06 T153010Z

PLEASE USE ISSUE ID EN-180-930 TO REPORT THIS ISSUE

Tags (1)
0 Kudos