Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: No sound unless I power cycle device

Jump to solution

I have te same problem with no sound. I’ve tried all the “fixes”. I have Roku sticks and an Ultra. It only happens on the ultra after a pause in the show. I shouldn’t have to restart the Roku every time I need to pause the show. 

Fly4Funn
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Not sure why a different port or cable would make a difference. As you see, there are others on this thread with the exact same problem and the fix is a power cycle. Mine has worked fine since September of last year and all of a sudden this has become a problem. I didn't change the cable. I didn't change the port. I didn't change anything. Being from an IT background, I'll bet that Roku pushed an update that screwed something up and now users are experiencing this issue. Maybe instead of wasting our time getting users to troubleshoot an issue that recently started happening, you should dig on your end and find out what changed.

It happens on all of the streaming services I use so it's not limited to one channel. I also have a second Roku, same model, one month newer, that is upstairs and hardly ever used. I have been trying it and the problem exist there also. Guess the cable or port is bad there too?!?.

JGRIDLOCK63
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I couldn't have said it better myself, Fly4fun. Clearly, it's a software update problem on Roku's end. Consequently, that's where the fix must come from. 

azz09
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

It's the software running on the Ultra that does this, we have another topic that has been going for months on the same issue. See here

Solved: [OS 11.5] Audio stops working after long pause - Roku Community

No fix yet but they know about it, YouTube TV is the worst culprit and no other Roku shows this issue. It's ANY Roku Ultra model FYI. 

Fly4Funn
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

It even happens on the Roku channel, which I never watch anyway but just for giggles, I tried it. Yep, no sound until a power cycle. Might be time to buy something else and scrap this junk!

JGRIDLOCK63
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Yes, I have YouTube TV, and I've noticed it a lot. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi Community users,

Thanks for the posts regarding the issue you are experiencing with no audio after pausing for a long period of time.

Please be aware that we have identified the root cause of this issue and expect this to be resolved in a future update.

In the meantime, we appreciate your patience and understanding.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
Fly4Funn
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Danny

What is the time frame for a future update? You posted this same reply back in early November of last year. That's over 5 MONTHS ago. This is completely BS that in 5 months ROKU doesn't think enough of their product to take care of the customers with a known problem that, by the way, in your own words, the root cause HAS been identified??!!

Would YOU appreciate a company that has identified a problem yet expected you to have patience and understanding if you were on the end suffering the problem? Even Microsoft isn't this bad, and they are awful!!!

I am looking at new TVs right now but will surely refrain from buying anything with ROKU embedded into it.

Time to look for another company to support I suppose.

JGRIDLOCK63
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I would be interested in knowing: a) what IS the root cause of the problem, and b) how soon will the problem be resolved.

Thanks for your attention to this matter. 

Woodburn

Jump to solution

Same issue on 3 televisions at our house, each with a Roku Ultra streaming device. It happens most often while watching YouTubeTV, but that’s the app we use most often. It’s not the TV, since the built-in speakers work fine when I immediately switch inputs to an antenna. It’s not the Sonos soundbars on two sets, because switching to antenna or AppleTV works fine. It’s not the Denon receiver connected to the main TV, because it works fine on all other inputs except Roku. This has been going on since around September.

The only fix so far is to reboot the Ultra by disconnecting and reconnecting power. Sometimes the fix works for days. Sometimes it works for an hour. But it is not a fix, but rather an annoying surprise. My spouse and I are tired of blaming each other for “breaking” the TV.

If I could get the Roku Remote (which I prefer) to work with an AppleTV, I think I would throw these Ultras away and never look back.