Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BobInNH
Binge Watcher

No sound at all from Ultra with direct connection

1-yr old Ultra.  A few weeks ago I started getting absolutely no sound on any channel/app.  Nothing from YoutubeTV, Netflix, etc.   It's intermittent, sometimes I have sound, sometime not.  The only thing that gets it back is to do a system restart (which is a pain in the **bleep**).  All software is up to date.

TIA

0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: No sound at all from Ultra with direct connection

Exactly what model number Roku do you have (saying one year old isn't specific enough). You can find it in the Settings/System/About screen.

Are you connected directly to a TV with the HDMI cable, or are you connecting to an AVR or soundbar? If the latter, how is the audio getting to the AVR/soundbar: via a direct HDMI connection or via an optical cable?

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Michelle3
Roku Guru

You also may need to try different HDMI cables.  Plus, the Ultra LT 4801 was released September 2021 so it is only 9-10 months old, so you probably have the Ultra 4800 from October 2020 because that model is still a year old.

If your TV is an obsolete analog CRT set and you’re connecting the Roku to it through an HDMI-to-A/V converter (please remember that none of the major players today support analog ports anymore, and analog sets are simply in the minority now), then the problem may be with either the converter or the A/V cables.

~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
BobInNH
Binge Watcher

Getting back to this after living with it for a few months.  Ultra 4800X running 11.5 Build B4312-02

Yesterday I was watching YTTV and hit the pause for five minutes to attend to something.  I came back and there was no sound.  Sound comes directly through the TV, not a sound system.  I tried another hdmi cable and have the same behavior.

At this point, I'm assuming the Ultra is flaky.  Is there anything else I can do to troubleshoot?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Hi @BobInNH,

Thanks for getting in touch.

Does the issue only occur on this specific channel or all channels on your Roku device? What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far to try to resolve the issue? Have you tried to remove the channel and see if it helps? 

If you haven't tried it yet, you can remove the affected channel and re-install it. To ensure the process is successful, restart your device before adding the channel back in. We would recommend doing this from the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System > System restart.

For detailed instructions, refer to this Support link: How do I resolve channel playback issues?

Regards,
Nimfa

0 Kudos
BobInNH
Binge Watcher

What do you mean by "channels"?  Are you referring to Youtube TV itself, or one of the channels within, for example, ESPN?

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@BobInNH, what everyone else in the world would refer to as an app Roku refers to as a channel. 🙄  It gets all the more confusing when these "channels" (apps) have channels within them.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
BobInNH
Binge Watcher

nope, deleting and reinstalling YTTV didn't help.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@BobInNH

Thanks for the posts.

As @RokuNimfa-C previously inquired, are you only experiencing this issue on the Youtube TV channel or do you see this behavior occurring on other channels as well? In addition, does this issue only happen on the Youtube TV channel when you pause the streaming content for a long period?

With more detailed information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
BobInNH
Binge Watcher

As @RokuNimfa-C previously inquired, are you only experiencing this issue on the Youtube TV channel or do you see this behavior occurring on other channels as well?

only yttv

In addition, does this issue only happen on the Youtube TV channel when you pause the streaming content for a long period?

yes. If I pause and hit the power off button on the Roku remote it loses audio 

0 Kudos