Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rfox66

Re: No Surround Sound-Roku Ultra 4660X

Jump to solution

Options button on remote and turn off volume leveling WORKED! Able to get 5.1 from Prime. Try this on each of streaming apps. 

0 Kudos
djlott
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I've gone through this thread in detail and I am having similar issues with 4670X. In my case I have the following config:

• Samsung TV (2015) (HDMI Audio set to Bitstream)
  • Sonos ARC connected to HDMI 4 (ARC) connector of TV
  • Roku 4670 connected to HDMI 1 of TV
    • Audio set to Auto on both audio settings (tried many different things)
    • No Audio settings configured under * menu (leveling, night, etc.)

I can get Dolby Digital to the ARC from the TVs Smart Apps like Netflix, YouTube and Prime.

From the Roku, I can only get Dolby Digital to the Sonos ARC from AppleTV and Roku Channel. Netflix and Prime have never been able to send DD to the Sonos ARC.

Eventually I'll be purchasing an HDFury Arcana and an Ultra High Speed HDMI cable to bypass the TVs ARC connection altogether. This will allow me to send Dolby Atmos signaling direct to the Sonos ARC via eARC connection on the Arcana. For now I thought I'd add to this thread and hope for the future. I've put hours into troubleshooting different settings and configurations.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@djlott wrote:

I've gone through this thread in detail and I am having similar issues with 4670X. In my case I have the following config:

• Samsung TV (2015) (HDMI Audio set to Bitstream)
  • Sonos ARC connected to HDMI 4 (ARC) connector of TV
  • Roku 4670 connected to HDMI 1 of TV
    • Audio set to Auto on both audio settings (tried many different things)
    • No Audio settings configured under * menu (leveling, night, etc.)

I can get Dolby Digital to the ARC from the TVs Smart Apps like Netflix, YouTube and Prime.

From the Roku, I can only get Dolby Digital to the Sonos ARC from AppleTV and Roku Channel. Netflix and Prime have never been able to send DD to the Sonos ARC.

Eventually I'll be purchasing an HDFury Arcana and an Ultra High Speed HDMI cable to bypass the TVs ARC connection altogether. This will allow me to send Dolby Atmos signaling direct to the Sonos ARC via eARC connection on the Arcana. For now I thought I'd add to this thread and hope for the future. I've put hours into troubleshooting different settings and configurations.

Not all TVs will send 5.1 audio out for external connected devices. You might be encountering that issue. I've never connected my Ultra directly to my Samsung TV (always used an AVR with HDMI inputs) so I can't say if that might be one brand that doesn't support it. Sure, you get 5.1 from the TV apps, but something connected via HDMI you only get stereo out. 

But, if I'm understanding you correctly, your ATV is connected directly to the TV, and it is giving 5.1 out to the Sonos? Or are you saying that it's the Apple TV+ and Roku Channel on the Roku itself that is providing 5.1, but you aren't getting 5.1 from other channels on the Roku? If the latter is correct, then you have your Roku configured correctly, but you might need to select a different audio selection within Netflix or Prime Video. That is something I have to do with CBS All Access. It defaults to stereo and I have to choose a different audio track for 5.1. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
djlott
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

But, if I'm understanding you correctly, your ATV is connected directly to the TV, and it is giving 5.1 out to the Sonos? Or are you saying that it's the Apple TV+ and Roku Channel on the Roku itself that is providing 5.1, but you aren't getting 5.1 from other channels on the Roku? If the latter is correct, then you have your Roku configured correctly, but you might need to select a different audio selection within Netflix or Prime Video. That is something I have to do with CBS All Access. It defaults to stereo and I have to choose a different audio track for 5.1. 

@atc98092 

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure what "ATV" means in your reply above. Assuming AVR? In my case, I'm not using an AVR any longer (if that's what you meant). I have the Sonos ARC connected direct to the TV as well as the Roku, bypassing my Denon altogether. I'm saying the latter in your quote above (in bold). In essence, with Roku connected to HDMI 1, I can get 5.1 from certain Roku channels, namely the Roku and AppleTV channels. But not Netflix or Prime. I have scoured the configuration settings on those channels and for the life of me cannot find where to adjust audio in the app channels themselves. I'll look again but that has eluded me. And I think that maybe Netflix & Prime may using the more advanced version of 5.1 like DD+ or something and my TV simply cannot pass-through the signal.

In any event, I'll look again. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Speed_Racer
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

atc98092 and djlott,

I am having the same issue as you and have almost the same setup. My Samsung TV is a model down from yours with only 3 HDMI inputs. After trying the HDMI ARC to my Sonos ARC, I only was able to get stereo (from any source) so I chose optical from tv to Sonos ARC and get at least Dolby digital from 4k player HDMI 1, Dish HDMI 3 but only get Dolby digital on Roku 4660 (HDMI 2) with Roku app (stereo with Netflix, prime, Disney plus). I am curious how the HDFury Arcana works as I have been eyeing that as well. Please keep us updated. I love the picture quality of my Roku but I am disappointed in the Audio experience.

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Speed_Racer wrote:

atc98092 and djlott,

I am having the same issue as you and have almost the same setup. My Samsung TV is a model down from yours with only 3 HDMI inputs. After trying the HDMI ARC to my Sonos ARC, I only was able to get stereo (from any source) so I chose optical from tv to Sonos ARC and get at least Dolby digital from 4k player HDMI 1, Dish HDMI 3 but only get Dolby digital on Roku 4660 (HDMI 2) with Roku app (stereo with Netflix, prime, Disney plus). I am curious how the HDFury Arcana works as I have been eyeing that as well. Please keep us updated. I love the picture quality of my Roku but I am disappointed in the Audio experience.

You only get stereo from those apps because they use Dolby Digital Plus for the audio, and your TV isn't capable of passing it through optical. The Ultra 4660 is not capable of converting DD+ to DD, so you only get stereo. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
djlott
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@atc98092 wrote:

@Speed_Racer wrote:

atc98092 and djlott,

You only get stereo from those apps because they use Dolby Digital Plus for the audio, and your TV isn't capable of passing it through optical. The Ultra 4660 is not capable of converting DD+ to DD, so you only get stereo. 

Thanks @Speed_Racer & @atc98092. Yeah I've pretty much concluded that my TV is the weakest audio link in my setup, and that there's nothing wrong with the audio from Netflix, Dis+ & Prime. The HDFury Arcana is very promising and has been reviewed by Jonah Matthes with the Sonos ARC.

It'll be a bit before I pull the trigger on Arcana. My first $358 is going to a pair of OneSLs for surround. Smiley Happy

Speed_Racer
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

@atc98092,

Thanks. Noted on the Dolby Digital Plus. Looks like the weak link is my TV. I had a low budget soundbar before the Sonos and it was only capable of 2 channel sound so I didn't notice the lack of output. 

@djlott,

The Arcana sounds interesting just not sure if I want the clutter of an HDMI switch and the Arcana or just spend that money towards a new TV later in the year! Don't know if you have the sub or not (it's pricey) but it really makes a difference!

0 Kudos
djlott
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@Speed_Racer @atc98092 

OK I'm back to this thread and I just can't let this go. Earlier we all (sort of) decided that Netflix, Prime and D+ must be using some "special" kind of DD 5.1 because we can't seem to get DD when using them on ROKU. Well keep reading.

I decided to continue my testing by adding these same disputed channels (Netflix, Prime & Dis+) to my PS4. Conclusion, my PS4 has no issue streaming DD 5.1 to the ARC. So in essence I get full DD 5.1 from the PS4 but not using ROKU (when setup correctly on PS4 of course, i.e., Bitstream, etc.).

Incidentally, I also was shocked to find that my standard TV remove can control my PS4! WAT??? Yes when Anynet+ is setup and some other PS4 setting (link devices I think), your standard Samsung TV remote can control your PS4, allowing you to pause, rewind, FF, etc. Blu-Ray, Netflix, Prime, D+, etc. I found it by accident but was shocked that all these years...who knew?

So anyway, I'm back to "what gives with the Roku version of DD 5.1 on these channels?!?

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@djlott wrote:

@Speed_Racer @atc98092 

OK I'm back to this thread and I just can't let this go. Earlier we all (sort of) decided that Netflix, Prime and D+ must be using some "special" kind of DD 5.1 because we can't seem to get DD when using them on ROKU. Well keep reading.

I decided to continue my testing by adding these same disputed channels (Netflix, Prime & Dis+) to my PS4. Conclusion, my PS4 has no issue streaming DD 5.1 to the ARC. So in essence I get full DD 5.1 from the PS4 but not using ROKU (when setup correctly on PS4 of course, i.e., Bitstream, etc.).

Incidentally, I also was shocked to find that my standard TV remove can control my PS4! WAT??? Yes when Anynet+ is setup and some other PS4 setting (link devices I think), your standard Samsung TV remote can control your PS4, allowing you to pause, rewind, FF, etc. Blu-Ray, Netflix, Prime, D+, etc. I found it by accident but was shocked that all these years...who knew?

So anyway, I'm back to "what gives with the Roku version of DD 5.1 on these channels?!?

NetFlix, Prime and Disney+ are all using DD+ (E-AC3), which most services are using now (and not DD (AC3)).

There's nothing particularly special about it, its been around for 18 years and standardized for 15.

Your PS4 includes Dolby decoding functionality, and part of Dolby decoding functionality (mandatory requirement from Dolby when licensed) includes converting/transcoding DD+ to DD for output, so your PS4 is merely converting/transcoding the DD+ from those apps' streams to DD for output.  (FYI, XBox does the same thing...)

Most Roku player models dont have Dolby decoding capability (just passthrough), only two did/do:  The 2016 Ultra (4640) and the 2020 Ultra (4800).

Roku and its apps arent using any special codec or special version of Dolby audio - just plain old standardized DD+ (E-AC3); however, unless you have one of those two models, you only get passthrough, which means another device in the chain needs to convert/transcode it to DD for connection to legacy DD-only (AC3) equipment.