Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: No Surround Sound-Roku Ultra 4660X

Jump to solution

@RnAInSA wrote:

@RokuTannerD Thanks, that explains the other channels.  I have a older receiver which supports DD and DTS, but not DD+.

Why would my ripped DVD’s and BD only play in stereo and not DTS Surround?

If you are running the audio through your TV and then back to the receiver, the TV likely can't handle DTS.

If your Roku is connected directly to your AVR via HDMI, what are you using to play your ripped movies? I get DD and DTS without a problem using Roku Media Player, Emby or Plex channels. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
RnAInSA
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@atc98092 wrote:

@RnAInSA wrote:

@RokuTannerD Thanks, that explains the other channels.  I have a older receiver which supports DD and DTS, but not DD+.

Why would my ripped DVD’s and BD only play in stereo and not DTS Surround?

If you are running the audio through your TV and then back to the receiver, the TV likely can't handle DTS.

If your Roku is connected directly to your AVR via HDMI, what are you using to play your ripped movies? I get DD and DTS without a problem using Roku Media Player, Emby or Plex channels. 

I replaced a cable box with a Roku 4670X.  The cable box sent the DTS signal through the TV to my receiver.  The Roku sends the DTS signal through the TV, but only on the Roku Channel.  The TV digital audio is set to “Raw”.

I am using Roku Media Player to play my ripped movies off a PC.

Roku audio settings = Audio Mode - Auto(DD, DTS).  HDMI = DD, DTS

Changing to Auto doesn’t change any results.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@RnAInSA wrote:

I replaced a cable box with a Roku 4670X.  The cable box sent the DTS signal through the TV to my receiver.  The Roku sends the DTS signal through the TV, but only on the Roku Channel.  The TV digital audio is set to “Raw”.

OK, my next question is how are you getting your media to your Roku? Are you using a DLNA server to stream it, or using the USB connection to connect an external hard drive?

Dan

0 Kudos
RnAInSA
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@atc98092 wrote:

@RnAInSA wrote:

OK, my next question is how are you getting your media to your Roku? Are you using a DLNA server to stream it, or using the USB connection to connect an external hard drive?

I have the Roku hardwired to my router and it finds PC Media through the Roku Media Player.  I do have a ext HDD with all my movies and music, would it be better to connect it directly to the Roku, if possible?

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@RnAInSA wrote:

@atc98092 wrote:

@RnAInSA wrote:

I have the Roku hardwired to my router and it finds PC Media through the Roku Media Player.  I do have a ext HDD with all my movies and music, would it be better to connect it directly to the Roku, if possible?

If you're using the built-in Windows media server, it's highly possible it is altering the DTS to stereo. In my opinion, it's a terrible DLNA server. I recommend using one of a number of free DLNA servers that you can install on Windows (or other OSs as well). Plex and Emby have their own Roku channels that offer a more Netflix-like user experience, and should support DTS without a problem. For use with RMP, I prefer Serviio, as it doesn't require a dedicated app on the device. All my Smart TVs, Blu Ray players, Roku devices and Shield players can see it. I wrote the Roku profiles that Serviio uses, so I have a pretty good idea what will work for you, and what might need tweaking. 

If you connect a hard drive directly to the Roku, your media has to be in supported containers with supported video and audio codecs. DTS is only supported via HDMI out, and since it appears your TV can handle it correctly that should work as well. But the proper container and supported codecs is mandatory, or they won't play at all. The Roku itself has no ability to transcode unsupported video/audio/container, so everything has to match. That's why a DLNA server works better, as it can transcode whatever isn't supported into something that is. 

Dan

0 Kudos
RnAInSA
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@atc98092 wrote:

@RnAInSA wrote:

@atc98092 wrote:

@RnAInSA wrote:

If you're using the built-in Windows media server, it's highly possible it is altering the DTS to stereo. In my opinion, it's a terrible DLNA server. I recommend using one of a number of free DLNA servers that you can install on Windows (or other OSs as well). Plex and Emby have their own Roku channels that offer a more Netflix-like user experience, and should support DTS without a problem. For use with RMP, I prefer Serviio, as it doesn't require a dedicated app on the device. All my Smart TVs, Blu Ray players, Roku devices and Shield players can see it. I wrote the Roku profiles that Serviio uses, so I have a pretty good idea what will work for you, and what might need tweaking. 

If you connect a hard drive directly to the Roku, your media has to be in supported containers with supported video and audio codecs. DTS is only supported via HDMI out, and since it appears your TV can handle it correctly that should work as well. But the proper container and supported codecs is mandatory, or they won't play at all. The Roku itself has no ability to transcode unsupported video/audio/container, so everything has to match. That's why a DLNA server works better, as it can transcode whatever isn't supported into something that is. 

BINGO!

Went ahead and setup a Plex server, installed app and pulled up The Eagles Farewell Tour and BAM! DTS Surround Sound!

Thanks @atc98092 for the advice!

0 Kudos
Moman19
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

OK, let's go back the original DD5.1 issue, if we may.  I know it USED to work on my setup a few weeks back, but something changed and DD 5.1 no longer does.  I have a Roku 4670X connected to an LG OLED via HDMI.  The LG routes all audio sources to an older Denon Receiver via Optical cable (no HDMI capability).  DD5.1 works flawlessly when it originates from my satellite receiver, the built-in Netflix & Amazon apps from the OLED and (this is important!) Netflix from the Roku.  HOWEVER, I cannot get DD 5.1 via the Roku from any other provider.  This includes Amazon Prime, HBO and Apple TV.  In fact, Netflix seems to be the only Roku app that passes DD 5.1.  The DD pilot immediately goes out when I move to Apple TV.  It fires back up when I select Netflix.  So I doubt this is a Denon issue.  Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@Moman19 wrote:

OK, let's go back the original DD5.1 issue, if we may.  I know it USED to work on my setup a few weeks back, but something changed and DD 5.1 no longer does.  I have a Roku 4670X connected to an LG OLED via HDMI.  The LG routes all audio sources to an older Denon Receiver via Optical cable (no HDMI capability).  DD5.1 works flawlessly when it originates from my satellite receiver, the built-in Netflix & Amazon apps from the OLED and (this is important!) Netflix from the Roku.  HOWEVER, I cannot get DD 5.1 via the Roku from any other provider.  This includes Amazon Prime, HBO and Apple TV.  In fact, Netflix seems to be the only Roku app that passes DD 5.1.  The DD pilot immediately goes out when I move to Apple TV.  It fires back up when I select Netflix.  So I doubt this is a Denon issue.  Any suggestions?

OK, to my knowledge there's been no recent Roku OS update, so I think we can rule that out as a possible cause. I agree that it sounds like everything is configured correctly in both the Roku and the Denon. So that leaves the channels themselves. I can't get to my Ultra 4640 at the moment, so I can't check to see if Apple TV has multiple audio tracks available. If it does, I'd see if for some reason it's changed from 5.1 to stereo tracks. Amazon used to have separate audio tracks, but since I never change mine I can't say if it still does. Don't have HBO, so can't check that one here. 

Dan

0 Kudos
Moman19
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thanks, Dan.  As you suggest, my settings seem to be correct and changing audio settings on the Roku makes no difference.  I'm certain that I am selecting DD5.1 programs and as I previously stated, the IDENTICAL Netfix programs both play in DD5.1 via the LG (OLED) app and the Roku while IDENTICAL Amazon Prime programs only play in DD5.1 via the LG app.  I'm using Amazon Prime as an example because it's available on my TV and the Roku while other apps like HBO and AppleTV are only available on the Roku.  I swear DD5.1 worked fine on all apps when I first purchased the Roku around December of last year.  Today, that is simply not the case and I'm pulling out my hair.  I can't figure out why Netflix audio works so well while the others don't.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

You can't compare the app on your TV to the app/channel on the Roku. Two completely different operating systems, so the apps are written in different code and often have different functionality. So there's no use doing that. Many times an app on one device works completely different. 

Dan

0 Kudos