Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mark_Huggard
Reel Rookie

Re: No Dolby Digital (or DTS)

Jump to solution

I believe I am having a similar issue with recent Roku updates.

Stereo PCM output issue appears isolated to Roku ultra 4660x  in certain App cases.  Apps which the Roku ultra outputs stereo PCM include Pandora,  Spotify, and YouTube music. These  same apps output Dolby digital Plus 2.0 to my Sonos arc using the Sony x900h TV.  This issue remains after 'updating' my software from 10.5 to 10.0,  build 4209-46.

It is worth noting that the Roku ultra can output Dolby Atmos and other high quality sound  for movies and TV shows. It is just, apparently, the music that the Roku cannot output original sound.

Equipment; Roku ultra 4660x connected to a Sony x900h on HDMI 4, using a Sonos Arc on HDMI 3  (eArc.) Xbox X console connected to HDMI 1.

Roku audio settings on auto,  Sony the x900h external input settings on  HDMI signal format: enhanced format ( Dolby vision on HDMI 4).

Tried enhanced format only on HDMI 4: results same  for Pandora, Spotify, and YouTube music.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Mark_Huggard wrote:

I believe I am having a similar issue with recent Roku updates.

Stereo PCM output issue appears isolated to Roku ultra 4660x  in certain App cases.  Apps which the Roku ultra outputs stereo PCM include Pandora,  Spotify, and YouTube music. These  same apps output Dolby digital Plus 2.0 to my Sonos arc using the Sony x900h TV.  This issue remains after 'updating' my software from 10.5 to 10.0,  build 4209-46.

I believe that is specific to those particular channels. Many of the music channels only offer stereo sound. You can't compare the channel on a Roku to the same app on another platform, because they are completely different programming languages. To my knowledge, none of those providers (Pandora, Spotify, YT Music) ever offered 5.1 audio on Roku devices. I just tried Pandora on my Ultra 4800, which has a DD encoder, and it's only outputting stereo PCM. I tried Amazon Music with the same results. But Prime Video gave DD+ 5.1 no problem. 

So, it's not a Roku OS issue. That's that those particular providers are streaming. I don't subscribe to YT Music, but my guess is it's the same. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
WaltSm53
Streaming Star

Dolby Digital thru TV app but not Roku

Jump to solution

I was just about to return a Klipsch 600 Cinema soundbar because, after trying numerous changes and researching for answers, I could not get Dolby Digital activated on the soundbar when watching any streaming channels through Roku Ultra ( 4670RW Build 4208 connected via HDMI to TV, Sound set to Auto for best available sound, Dolby Digital or DTS.) However, DD was always active watching shows using a TV antenna and OTA TIVO device.

BTW the TV is connected to the soundbar via HDMI ARC.

I have the TV sound settings set at "HDMI Audio Format = Bitstream" and "Audio Format = Dolby Digital". I tried PCM but the only option not grayed out is DTS, which the Cinema 600 does not support.

When I watch programming thru the antenna and Tivo box, DD lights up on the Cinema 600. All channels, HD or SD.

But when I switch to Roku and watch Amazon Prime video, I have no DD. In fact, when I check the TV sound settings (mentioned above) while watching Prime, the "Audio Format" setting has changed from DD to PCM. And DD is grayed out in the options. But when I switch back to antenna and Tivo, the setting is back to Dolby Digital.

As a last thought, I opened the Amazon Prime app on my Samsung TV (UHD model UN55JS700). LOW & BEHOLD, Prime shows were broadcasting with Dolby Digital lit up on the soundbar.

So of course I have to ask, why are Prime shows in DD via the TV app but not through ROKU? In the end I may still decide to return the soundbar and buy one that handles more audio formats like DIX and ATMOS, but I'd like to know the answer anyway. It might save me time and headaches because I would rather watch streaming channels via ROKU.

Thank you

Walt

0 Kudos
WaltSm53
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

When you say "that worked", what worked for you? Thx.

0 Kudos
Rckumm
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have a Ultra 4800 with the most current update. (Same problem with my Ultra LT):

The Roku channel sends 5.1 Dolby Digital plus to the receiver but only sends 2 channels, regardless of settings, when using YouTube TV.  YouTube TV however sends 5.1 to the app on my LgTV. (HDMI cables, Anthem MRX540 receiver. No problem with Dolby vision.)

What is Roku doing with the missing audio channels from YouTube TV?  

Has anyone found these units useful as a cup warmer?  I’ll sell mine if there isn’t a fix.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

Roku isn’t doing anything. Google controls how their app works on Roku devices. Every Roku is capable of sending 5.1 audio, but it’s up to the app developer to make use of it. Google controls the YouTube tv app. Just because it sends 5.1 on a different platform (your tv) doesn’t mean anything about how the app works on a Roku. 

Dan

0 Kudos
Rckumm
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution
“Not doing anything” is the problem. However, Roku is doing something…it is laying blame on another. If LG can get 5.1 from Google, why doesn’t Roku want to be competitive with LG’s WebOS and other competitors? Perhaps Roku could hire the contract negotiator from LG. That would be “doing something”. (To be balanced, I think Roku has a very good UI and very very good remote. The headphone jack on the remote is useful. Having units that operate with IR such as the Ultra is also a positive for many of us who have universal IR remotes.) Roku advertises multichannel playback for the Ultra. That it doesn’t deliver multichannel on a common app seems to me like a “Roku problem”. But I’m not a businessman. And I’m sure Roku has had such a strong financial performance in the past year that it really doesn’t need to worry about customer satisfaction. Anyone for a nice black (somewhat thick) coaster?
0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@Rckumm because Roku didn't create the channel, Google did. It's up to Google to make the app provide 5.1 audio. It's completely out of Roku's control. The device supports it, but the channel developer has to enable it. 

Roku does not, and has never provided a channel for 3rd party providers. They provide two channels of their own: The Roku Channel and Roku Media Player. Those are the only two channels that Roku themselves can control things like audio and caption support. Every other channel is developed and supported by someone else. If that developer is complying with the Roku standards, there's nothing Roku can do to force a provider to make their channel do something. 

Roku devices deliver multi-channel audio. But it's up to the providers to use that capability. Getting angry at Roku won't get you anywhere, as they simply have no control over how someone's channel works. When I play my media from my home server, I get 5.1 Dolby Digital and DTS from everything I have. If my media has unsupported audio (as many Blu Rays do), then my media server transcodes the audio in 5.1 Dolby Digital. 

Dan

0 Kudos
KenNishi

Jump to solution

I thought this questions are related to my question, I will ask a question here. It worked fine until January 10 or so. Now the software version is 10.5.0 build 4208. The problem is some of the tv show like Medici and Emily in Paris have very interesting even sound levels with voice and music. I tried to change the settings but the sound levels of voice is much softer and if I make the voices audible the music become so loud. I am using ARC and optical audio connection to my receiver. I did not have this problem recently. How can I solve this problem?

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@KenNishi what model Roku device do you have, and what channel(s) do you see this behavior?

If you use any of the different sound modes available on the Roku, such as sound leveling or night mode, the Roku only outputs 2 channel stereo. That can change the perceived audio levels. 

Dan

0 Kudos