Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
modeinhart20
Reel Rookie

New Roku Express 4k+ keeps shutting off

I just bought the Roku Express 4k+, and when I'm in an app, the system will turn off a few minutes into the show/video/etc regardless of what app I'm using. It doesn't turn off if I stay on the home screen, only while using an app. I'm using the Roku provided HDMI and power cord and wall brick, and they both work. I've reset the Roku manually and I've performed a factory reset as well. Neither fixed the issue. It's brand new so there are no updates when I check the update settings. Every solution I've seen online has not worked and I've tried everything I can.

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: New Roku Express 4k+ keeps shutting off

@modeinhart20 

Two things to try before I would lean toward a defective device.

1. Use another power adapter. (any 5v, 1amp cell USB phone charger "brick" will do).

2. Go to Settings/System/Power/Auto Power Savings/20min savings and select [Disable].

---

If the above two things do not resolve issue, may just be a defective unit needing replacement.  Either return to the store or complete Roku warranty replacement. (https://support.roku.com/article/208757058)

----

Rokus really do not turn off (other than entering a sleep mode) so assuming it is just rebooting.  If just going to a black screen, perhaps try lowering the display resolution and see if the channel/app continues to stream. (Settings/Display Type).  Try manually assigning one rather than auto detect.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@modeinhart20-

If you are powering your Roku by plugging into the USB port on the TV, try powering from house power via the USB power adapter that came with the Roku.

The ports on many televisions only supply 0.5 amp or less, which is not enough to power a Roku reliably. It may appear to start up okay, but when it runs into something that requires more power than the tv's USB port can provide, something's got to give. Frequently this results in shutting down the stream you are viewing and exiting back to the Roku home screen.

If you don't have a Roku adapter handy, any other you have from another device should work as long as the fine print on it says it outputs at least 1 amp.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
modeinhart20
Reel Rookie

I'm currently plugging my Roku device into an outlet, not the tv

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @modeinhart20,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

If this issue is not resolved, please let us know along with any additional information you may have that would be helpful for our team looks into this problem. Kindly include the serial number of your Roku device so we can assist further.

Please keep us posted.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
modeinhart20
Reel Rookie

Hi Mary,

Earlier this week I went to the store I bought the Roku from and exchanged it for a different one and now it works perfectly, so I assume the system was defective in some sort of way 

Thanks so much!

RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @modeinhart20,

Thanks for the update.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please let us know.

Please stay safe and healthy, we thank you for your patience.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos