Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
trohling

Re: New 2020 Roku Ultra has sound issues?

Jump to solution

sure did...downloaded the latest update. didn't help at all. tried every fix mentioned amongst the various users, to no avail. I'm really surprised that Roku support doesn't have a fix for the sound issues. Thinking it was my TV, I bought a new TV, only to have the issue still - WOW, was I upset!! Just got a new Apple TV streaming device...works like a charm! No more sound issues!!

I would highly recommend anyone that has an Ultra to toss it or take it back for a refund, and upgrade to the Apple TV. Poop on Roku. I would've hoped with as many people complaining they would listen...maybe they will if/when they loose enough business to Apple??

0 Kudos
Llcdph
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Forgot all about the sound issue. I'm a YouTube TV user and dumped ROKU entirely. Switched to Fire TV 4k Max on all of my TVs and not looking back.

0 Kudos
boricua28
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

My issue with my new Roku Ultra is that the headphones volume does not seem to increase past level 50 (I mean I can continue to "volume up" but the sound just levels out.  My Roku Premiere is very loud on the headphones and I like that when watching music videos.  Is this something common with all Ultras or should I return the devise for a new one?

0 Kudos
Lorriev
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Both of my Roku Ultras have exactly this same behavior.

Out of the blue one day, both Ultra units start at level 50 for volume. If I turn up the volume via the Roku remote, the audio level does NOT increase, although the onscreen volume level display does look as though the volume is being increased. I turned the volume level to maximum on my tv and headphones, just to be able to hear the streaming audio at all.

I have TWO Roku 4 Ultra units (models 4800X, 4640X) and they BOTH developed this low volume problem at the same time. Previously, both Roku Ultra units worked as expected, with volume being very loud when turned up to max level. 

I haven't changed hook-up configuration, connected hardware, Roku models, headphones or any other variable.
Each of the 2 Rokus are hooked-up to a different brand of tv (one Vizio, one TCL).
Both Rokus use the same internet connection, as they (and their many Roku predecessors) always have.
Neither Roku has "volume leveling" turned on. Restarting the units had no effect.
Both Rokus have the same software version (10.5.0) and Build (4208), with no pending updates available.
Based on these facts, I strongly suspect a software problem.

I contacted Roku Support and have been told to try things that make no sense to me, such as "try another HDMI cable". Really? You think that BOTH HDMI cables failed on BOTH Roku Ultras on the same day?!?

Would love to hear from anyone else who has this problem - especially if you've found a solution.

0 Kudos
boricua28
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I’m just done with Roku Ultra. Amazon sent me another unit and is the same. The only thing that separates Roku from the rest is the headphone jack option, which I like loud….. otherwise I’d use bluthooth but those are not as loud as the jack headphones.

0 Kudos
prince486
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

i have the same problem , at first i taught it was my tv ,so i went and bought a new tv ,come to realize its not the tv , update does not work for it so i am stuck with this expensive Roku ultra 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@prince486

Thanks for the post.

Can you please specify the issue you are experiencing? What are the steps to reproduce the issue? What troubleshooting steps have you already taken to try to resolve the issue?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
prince486
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

The issue i have is when using the device on the tv the sound distorted as if the speakers on the tv damage

So i went and bought a new tv ,thinking my tv was broken ,then with the new tv the samething happen  , i updates the device but no changes 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@prince486

Thanks for the follow up.

Does this issue happen on a specific channel or does it happen across all channels? Have you tried using another HDMI port on your TV as well as switching out the HDMI cable used to connect the device?

Please keep us posted what you find out and we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Lorriev
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

03/15/22 UPDATE:

Just posting this update, in case someone else can benefit from my troubleshooting saga...

Yesterday, I paired a new Roku Voice Remote Pro with my Roku Ultra 4800X unit that had the "low volume" problem when using "private listening" mode.

This remote, which is a newer model than the remote that came with the 4800X, immediately solved the "low volume" problem! This new remote restored the full volume range my previous Roku units had provided.

Best of luck!

0 Kudos