Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netflix problems with Netflix

Using Roku Stick  I have access to 5 services. All work fine except Netflix. Opens account and profile fine (although sometimes slowly). When I select program to watch it will start then freeze up and spin aimlessly forever. Many times I get kicked out to General Roku screen. This happens about 50% of the time. I have seen other similar posts and the recommendations. I have no doubt this is a Roku issue as all of my family’s  other devices work well without issue on Netflix. I’m about a minute away from getting another service. Extremely frustrating.

8 REPLIES 8
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Netflix problems with Netflix

@Sguagliardo236-

When problems are confined to a particular channel, it may be that the channel didn't install properly, that it didn't update correctly, or that the installation has otherwise gotten corrupted. A reinstall MAY fix the problem, so give it a try.

Remove/reinstall procedure:

1. Highlight channel on home screen.
  2. Press * key and choose Remove channel option.c
  3. IMPORTANT- DON'T SKIP:
    Restart the Roku to clear its memory. Depending on your Roku model and Roku version number you'll find "System restart" under Roku menu path Settings > System > Power or under Settings > System. Without the restart to clear the memory you may not get a clean reinstall.
  4. Reinstall the channel. Note it will be added to the END of the channel grid.
  5. If channel requires a login, you may need to log in anew.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
BriLH

It’s not just them. It’s happening not only with my Netflix, but also happened with Prime video. Previously this was not happening also Netflix & Prime work on other devices. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@BriLH

Thanks for the post.

Can you please specify the issue you are experiencing? What are the steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing? What troubleshooting steps have you already taken to try to resolve the issue?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
jaymc007
Channel Surfer

Re: Netflix problems with Roku

Hello Roku Community

I have been having ongoing problems with "only" Netflix streaming on my Roku model 3920X Serial Number K4306A516761

I open Netflix on Roku and even the previews freeze after starting briefly. When I select "keep watching" and select a show it starts, runs for 3-5 seconds and stops. If I select a new show or movie the same thing happens. 

I have tried the reset, the eliminate and re-add channel (also resetting the Roku by unplugging) it does not help. Only after calling Netflix directly and they ask all the same questions every time )waste of time)...they put me on a brief hold, and miraculously my Netflix app begins to work. 

They grudgingly admit it is a problem, they have "elevated" my issue to the technical team (whatever that means). One customer service rep told me "dont worry, we are checking on it daily so if it doesnt work one day wait and check it later".... I call BS

I call them every time its a problem (once a week probably so maybe 10 times now) and amazingly it works after being placed on a brief hold. The last CS Rep told me they did nothing but review my last calls....I didn't believe her.

I have no problem on any other device, iPhone, iPad, Fire, all work fine. I have no doubt a software update(s) was pushed out and there are obvious hiccups they cannot resolve (either Netflix or Roku)

Any help would be appreciated...again, I have done ALL troubleshooting steps

Thanks for letting me rant

Jay Mc

0 Kudos
Meyer2018

I tried this a few times in the exact order and it hasn’t worked. It still is freezing. 

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@Meyer2018, are you using the supplied power adapter and not your TV's USB port for power?  Do you also have a model 3920 Roku?  (If so, smash it with a hammer and save yourself much pain and agony).

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
wolfpuppy

I, too, am having problems with Netflix on my Vizio tv.  I have a roku device that I have plugged into the tv, and I have many streaming channels that I watch with no problem, such as Amazon Prime, Hulu, Peacock, Vudu, Tubi, Roku, and several others.  However, when I select Netflix, it grinds slowly, taking its' time loading.  When it finally loads, I try to select a show.  At least 50% of the time, I am kicked back to the app desktop, where I will select Netflix, again, and go through the same BS.  This is an issue that has started just recently, and I firmly believe that it is the fault of Netflix.  First, this problem is fairly new, to me, anyway, and seems like it is getting worse.  Secondly, only Netflix is doing this.  All the other streaming channels that I use work fine.  My internet is fiber optics, so speed is not a problem, and everything with the tv is hardwired, so there is that.  As far as this being a roku issue, I don't see that.  If it were, then why is it that only Netflix is acting up while every other channel is working just fine?  Seems to me that if my roku was at fault, then other channels would be affected too.  Bottom line is that, with what Netflix is charging now, and their policy of removing good content and replacing it with utter **bleep**, I will be thinking very hard about whether or not I wish to continue with them.  

0 Kudos
RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Hello @wolfpuppy

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community!

As @makaiguy mentioned, we would recommend removing the channel from the Roku home screen by navigating to the channel tile, pressing the * key on your remote, and choosing 'Remove channel'. Then restart your device from Settings>System>System restart. Once your player starts up again, add the channel back once more.

If the issue persists from one channel after attempting the suggestions above, videos from other channels play fine, contact the channel provider's customer support team to report the issue and get help.

Channels on Roku are maintained by the channel developer themselves. In this case, there's likely an issue within that specific channel that needs to be addressed with an update from them.

You can reach them here: Netflix Customer Service - Contact Us 

Regards,
Karla

0 Kudos