Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JG77
Binge Watcher

Netflix freezing on and off - no one has the solution?

I have a Roku stick …it works fine except for one channel: Netflix. Any title will play for approximately 10 seconds and then freeze.  Pressing play starts it again, then the same thing happens again.  I have tried everything related to removing the channel, restarting the device, even factory reset,..then reinstalling the channel..and so on. Nothing works. I’m so sick of this. I’ve posted the concern here before and I can’t believe that nobody has a solution.  You’ll get these bots that come on here and say they’re working on it but nothing ever happens.. The problem is only Netflix. Don’t respond here with any form of “delete the channel , reset the device “ etc..  that doesn’t work. If I have to get a new streaming device because of this,..it’s not going to be a Roku. So let’s figure it out. 🤦🏻‍♂️ Roku Streaming Stick + (3810, 3811 series)  

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
17 REPLIES 17
Vakko
Roku Guru

Re: Netflix freezing on and off - no one has the solution?

What you are describing is exactly what happens when you have poor or weak WiFi signal. How fast is your internet? Have you tried both the 2.4GHz and the 5.0GHz WiFi? Have you restarted your Roku, modem and router?

0 Kudos
JG77
Binge Watcher

DAre you serious? Just tested it yesterday through Netflix app’s own test- 65Mbps with no other activity on the network. No one else streaming or browsing. Yes I’ve tried both GHz and restarted everything. An important note: Netflix is the ONLY channel on the Roku device with this issue. Everything else is 100% fine. 

0 Kudos
Vakko
Roku Guru

Going to Fast.com on your phone or computer is different then running a Roku Check Connection test. Go to Settings/ Network/ Check Connection. Highlight check connection and press the ok button. A white box will pop up and run a speed test. Upon completion it will close out. You will see something like "Good 50 Mbps". What is that result? Keep in mind that Roku does not develop the Netflix channel. So any issues with Netflix should be directed at Netflix support. 65 Mbps is kinda slow in todays world.  I have 500 Mbps internet. My 3821 check connection test gets a 225 Mbps on 5.0GHz. Fast.com on my phone gives me 480 Mbps. 

JG77
Binge Watcher

I didn’t test it on my phone. I tested the connection speed within the Roku platform. If you actually read my response you would know that. I don’t care how fast your internet is. This isn’t a d*ck measuring contest. My internet is fine. I have ZERO problem with any other channel. This is a Roku problem. 

0 Kudos
Vakko
Roku Guru

@JG77  There is no speed test built into the Netflix channel on Roku. Netflix has there very own website "fast.com". 

JG77
Binge Watcher

@Vakko  Oh yes there is.  You need to look in the help menu on the Netflix channel. Oh and by the way, it’s *their , not ‘there’

0 Kudos
sumatrakhan
Reel Rookie

@JG77 I know this is an oldish thread, but I'm having the EXACT same issue and after reading this...wow...

Why they felt the need to reply to a post JUST to be unhelpful on community forum mind boggles me.

This is a ROKU issue with this model(s). <-- period

I have gigabit fiber, excellent connection based on Roku's own connection test you run from the system menu, and it is only Netflix that has an issue.

How do I know it's not a Netflix issue, you say?! Cause the app works fine on my Roku sound bar.

0 Kudos
JG77
Binge Watcher

@sumatrakhan  Do you by chance have the Roku voice remote? I started using the Roku app on my phone as a remote and it seems to have resolved the issue. 

0 Kudos
sumatrakhan
Reel Rookie

My 3810X model that was having the Netflix issue did not have a voice remote. We had a 3900X model that wasn't being used, so switched to that (it does have a voice remote), and now Netflix works perfect.

But you know....it's our internet.

0 Kudos