Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zolar
Reel Rookie

Netflix app laggy and crashes Roku

We've got a Roku Ultra, Roku Streambar, and a Roku TV. All devices and apps are up to date. Netflix frequently lags on all devices, and even to the point of freezing and crashing the Ultra and the Streambar. I'm not sure when it started, but it's been happening for at least a year now. This is not a WiFi issue because the Ultra is sitting next to the router and is connected via Ethernet. None of our other Roku apps behave like this so it's definitely a Netflix problem. Uninstalling and reinstalling the app didn't fix it. 

Tags (3)
3 REPLIES 3
stream-gmz
Reel Rookie

Re: Netflix app laggy and crashes Roku

same.

tcl roku yv 43s425

Netflix is the least reliable channel app

i think its something to do with the fact that they automatically begin playing trailers when youre hovering over a movie tile.

after 8-10 or so of these trailers, whilst im deciding what to watch;  it will crash almost 100% of the time.  First it gets slow, slower, then stops receiving any inout from remote, blanck screen.  Then TV will reset itself, or if im lucky i an exit to Home.

easily reproducible.

0 Kudos
RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Hello @stream-gmz and @zolar

We appreciate your contact!

In some cases, removing the channel and then re-installing it may help. To ensure the process is successful, follow the steps below making sure you restart your Roku device before adding the channel again.

-Remove the channel: Highlight the channel tile on your home screen and press the Star button to open the options menu. Select Remove channel and confirm.
-Restart your Roku device: Restart the device from the settings menu. Go to Settings > System > System restart > Restart.
-Re-install the channel: After your Roku device restarts, visit the Roku Channel Store and add the channel again.

Let us know if this works for you!

Regards,
Karla

0 Kudos

If you go to Netflix and log in to your account, you can turn off the feature to auto play trailers. I have found this makes the app more responsive.

Tags (1)