Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
russbert4663
Channel Surfer

Netflix and YouTube TV Playback Freezes after rewind

I just purchased a Roku Express 4k and connected it to my Samsung TV. I have noticed a weird situation where the picture is freezing after attempting to rewind. I'll rewind, the picture will freeze, but the audio will continue just fine. This is happening when watching YouTube TV and Netflix. I have rebooted. I have removed the apps and reinstalled. I have unplugged and plugged the power cord. I have used various Roku products for 5 years without any issues like this. Again, this just started after purchasing the Roku Express 4k. Any ideas? 

0 Kudos
26 REPLIES 26
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Re: Netflix and YouTube TV Playback Freezes

Hi @russbert4663

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community!

Did you restart your Roku device before re-installing the channel? That step is crucial when performing troubleshooting. If you haven't tried the suggested order (remove > restart > re-install), we would recommend giving it a shot once again. We also suggest doing the restart from the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System > Power (If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step.) > System restart.

Let us know if there's any difference after.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
russbert4663
Channel Surfer

I tried the uninstall/reinstall and power cycling ideas to no avail. Finally, I did a factory reset of the device and it seems to have worked. I am now able to rewind and watch content on YouTube TV, Netflix, and HBO Max without issue. Hope it continues to work properly.

steverisen
Reel Rookie

I had the same problem and I also found only the factory reset resolved it.

0 Kudos
russbert4663
Channel Surfer

Disregard. The factory reset worked for one day. The Roku is back to freezing video on playback on YouTube TV, HBO Max and Netflix. Probably others too, but only checked these three. Is the Roku Express garbage? I've had various Roku devices for 5 years and have NEVER had an issue. One week in, and I'm ready to toss this. Any help would be much appreciated. 

steverisen
Reel Rookie

Same result for me.  The Playback Freezes came back the next day after the factory reset.  

0 Kudos
russbert4663
Channel Surfer

Obviously, this a Roku issue. I’m having the problem across multiple platforms (YouTube TV, HBO Max, Netflix) with just this new device, while having no issues on other Roku devices throughout my house. 

Roku, are there any fixes for this?

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@russbert4663 @steverisen

Thanks for the posts.

If you are unable to resolve the issue, can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times and provide us with this ID)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing 

Once we have this information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
steverisen
Reel Rookie

Roku device model: 3941X-Roku Express 4K+
serial number: X01600WJF5UK
OS/version: 11.5.0 build 4235-CR
tracker ID: UK-438-864

The problem started after I restarted my Roku streamer the morning of October 21,22 after the update from 11.0 to 11.5.0 which occurred the night of Oct 20,22. Note: the issue first occurred under build 4225-CR and continues after the update to 4235-CR.

Steps to reproduce the issue:

1) sign in to Youtube TV channel and select and play any live channel and after 5 seconds of playing the video press backward "<" button 5 times and then the play/OK button. The audio then proceeds to play fine from that postiion and the video continues also to play fine in sync from that new position. Continue to play video for sometime. Select the Home button on the Roku remote. Go to roku home and perform a "hard" Roku power off (pull out power plug).
2) Keep the Roku streamer powered off overnight.
3) power on Roku streamer (insert power plug in and turn TV on).
3) sign in to Youtube TV channel and select and play any live channel and after 5 seconds of playing the video press backward "<" button 5 times and then the play/OK button. The audio then proceeds to play fine from that position, but the video becomes completely frozen. Changing the resolution or primary/secondary audio at the bottom the the screen will unfreeze the video. But, unless a Roku factory reset is performed the forward and backward buttons will always freeze the video while the audio continues from the new position. A Roku factory reset only temporarily solves the issue until the next overnight power off.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@steverisen

Thanks for the post and providing us with your information.

I have passed along your concerns and details to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further. 

Once more information is available, I'll be sure to update this thread.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos