Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: My Roku Ultra refuse to play the audio of some MKV video files

No, Handbrake is free, completely. Here's their web site. If you were on a site that said it required payment, that wasn't them.

https://handbrake.fr/

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
KostaSIES
Binge Watcher

I don’t know if you received my replay, but anyway I will try the software and let you know.

Also do you know anything about WTV files that was files that a have save when I was using Windows media player to connect to my TV and I have not found any program that will decoded properly.

Even the media player for windows does not recognize the format.

Let me know please.

Kosta  

0 Kudos
renojim

@KostaSIES, you have to repackage WTV files into MKV.  No re-encoding is necessary.  I use ffmpeg which is available for just about every platform and is the basis for Handbrake, so I'm sure Handbrake can do it.  I just prefer the command line.

The command would be:

ffmpeg -y -fflags +genpts -i "recording name".wtv -acodec copy -vcodec copy "recording name".mkv

For Handbrake there may be a profile already set up.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
atc98092

WTV is a Windows proprietary file type that was used in the discontinued Window Media Center software for recording over the air TV. Windows Media Center was cancelled when Windows 10 was released. The video codec used is MPEG-2 and the audio is Dolby Digital (AC-3) with either 2.0 or 5.1 channels. Windows 10 computers should be able to play a WTV file. The laptop I'm using right now can play them (I just tried one), and I don't recall installing any special software to play them.

The command line that @renojim shows will "transmux" the video and audio into a MKV container, which is supported by Roku devices. But if there's a caption track (EIA-608 or -708) you'll lose the captions. 

Dan

renojim

@atc98092 wrote:

if there's a caption track (EIA-608 or -708) you'll lose the captions. 

There's tools to turn them into a SRT file.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
KostaSIES
Binge Watcher

I am hoping that everyone gets this

About converting the WTV files to MKV I run that line you have suggested in command prompt window, and I got this instead “ffmpeg is not recognized as an internal or external command.

About Handbrake had hard time and then did something but the end result was two hours of a file just blank screens, and that is the results I got from other software.

I think all my files are corrupt or I cannot figure it out, not important in the scheme of life I will move on.

But thank you all for your help.

Handbrake works and the other one (WonderShare) I got buy paying also works and has the option to select the language, what I did not see how to get the subtitles, some moves like the original Das Boot is in German.

Also, in the beginning a had a problem transferring my files to USB stick because they ware large files.

Then I try to use Roku Media player but without any successes then someone suggested to format the USB stick to exFat that does not work in Roku NTFS formatting works.

I hope that helps someone.

Thank you.

Kosta

0 Kudos
atc98092

FFMPEG is not something that is installed on your computer. There are some applications that might install a version, but it won't be recognized from the command line unless you enter the full path to ffmpeg.exe (assuming Windows). You can download FFMPEG for Windows here

Dan

KostaSIES
Binge Watcher

Thank you i will try it and I will let you know.

Kosta

0 Kudos
KostaSIES
Binge Watcher

Hi, can you tell me why the Roku Media player gives me the message “no Compatible video found” I know that all the files on that folder are properly MPG4 formatted because they are the same files that I have in my USB stick, and they play fin.

Let me know please.

Thank you

Kosta

0 Kudos
atc98092

@KostaSIES wrote:

Hi, can you tell me why the Roku Media player gives me the message “no Compatible video found” I know that all the files on that folder are properly MPG4 formatted because they are the same files that I have in my USB stick, and they play fin.

I would have to see the codecs contained in your file. Use a program like MediaInfo to get the information. Just because they play on a different device doesn't mean that a Roku will play them. 

Roku devices only support a small subset of video codecs, specifically AVC/H.264, MPEG-2/H.262 (but not older players) and the 4K devices support HEVC/H.265. Those are the only supported video codecs.  

Dan

0 Kudos