Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Is the Worst Streamer You Can Possibly waste Your Money On

@potluckman Kodi is not an available channel for Roku devices. And Roku has not released a 2021 version of the Ultra. The 4800 is the latest version, which was released last year.

If you are truly using Kodi, then you aren't using a Roku. I use Kodi on my Android based players, but it's not available on a Roku. If you are using a Roku, then you're using a different channel. Please confirm what you're using. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
DBDukes

@potluckman 

I don't use Kodi, but do stream my local content via Plex. My Roku device plays the content the Plex server delivers, regardless if it's on a local (on the Plex server) drive, attached via USB to the Plex server, or a network drive the Plex server recognizes.

Are you sure Kodi doesn't allow the same thing? Again, I've not used Kodi, but I would think it would be able to deliver content from multiple sources, as Plex does.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
RkkMe
Streaming Star

In short, the audio streams present in your MKV file will only play if it is a format that is supported and decoded (or transcoded/'downmixed') by the Roku device you are using. Different Roku devices handle streams differently. You would have to examine the problematic files to see how the audio streams are encoded in order to try to remedy the issue. A lot of times this would require converting audio streams to a supported format if they do not play. If you would like help, try using a program like https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo that gives you various information on the streams in the files you are trying to play. Also stating the exact model number you are using will help, as each device could handle formats differently. Welcome to streaming!

0 Kudos
Steve344
Reel Rookie

@RkkMe wrote:

In short, the audio streams present in your MKV file will only play if it is a format that is supported and decoded (or transcoded/'downmixed') by the Roku device you are using. Different Roku devices handle streams differently. You would have to examine the problematic files to see how the audio streams are encoded in order to try to remedy the issue. A lot of times this would require converting audio streams to a supported format if they do not play. If you would like help, try using a program like https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo that gives you various information on the streams in the files you are trying to play. Also stating the exact model number you are using will help, as each device could handle formats differently. Welcome to streaming!

"In short, the audio streams present in your MKV file will only play if it is a format that is supported and decoded (or transcoded/'downmixed') by the Roku device you are using"

....Great. I have 3 other low end Rokus that ALL play the files (that are clearly listed as compatible) from a Net connected drive but for some inexplicable reason the far more expensive "Ultra" refuses to.....Two of those "cheap" Rokus are directly connected to OLD TVs while one is through an AVR. The ultra is also connected through an AVR. Clearly, the audio coding is correct so what's with the ULTRA. I've checked settings until I'm blue in the face and am now leaning on the side of "Roku Is the Worst Streamer You Can Possibly waste Your Money On".... and am on the way to hitting it with a hammer to "fix" it and get a cheap one since there doesn't seem to be any real fix.. 😉

0 Kudos
dborosev
Channel Surfer

Re: My Roku Ultra refuse to play the audio of some MKV video files

I'm having the same issue.   This has been going on with Roku apparently for years.  

Why can't they just add sound support for certain formats?   Its baffling!   I gave them a lower rating on amazon because of it.   I would suggest you do the same.   Hit them in the money until they listen.

0 Kudos
atc98092

@dborosev most likely because of licensing costs for additional codec support. Also, depending on the hardware within the Roku, it might need software decoding, which very likely would over-tax the processor of the Roku. The Ultra 4800 might be able to handle it, but most older devices would likely choke doing software decoding. 

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
dborosev
Channel Surfer

I got around it using PLEX app in Roku.

0 Kudos
Steve344
Reel Rookie

Coy and thanks. Took a look at it but not interested in "uploading" all  my local content just to play it. For the TV with the poor performing ROKU I now have to use a computer. The "premium" ROKU is just disappointing 😉

0 Kudos
dborosev
Channel Surfer

Don't need to upload. Just point plex at your network drive. 

0 Kudos
Steve344
Reel Rookie

Makes sense but not "presented" that way. Thanks for the info.

0 Kudos