Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RKG1
Reel Rookie

My Roku Express blares audio or extreme static

The Roku Express in two separate locations inexplicably blares volume , then goes almost silent and exhibits extreme static. It will self correct for a time if I unplug and reboot

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: My Roku Express blares audio or extreme static

Hi @RKG1,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

We would like to know how to identify and resolve any playback issues. For us to isolate your audio issue, it would be very helpful if you could answer the following questions:

• Does the issue only occur on a specific channel or across other channels installed on your device?
  • Are you using an A/V receiver or soundbar with your TV/Roku player setup? If so, what is the make/model of that unit?
  • In Settings > Audio > Audio mode, what setting do you have selected? Does the same issue occur if you change the setting to Stereo, etc.?

Moreover, if the issue only happens on one channel, removing the channel and then adding it back in may help.

You can visit this Support article for detailed instructions on how to do it: How to resolve a channel playback issue | Official Roku Support

Please keep us posted and we'll continue assisting you from there.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
RKG1
Reel Rookie

Hi Mary, I followed your suggestion and set Audio to Stereo vs Automatic. It didn’t work. The problem persists.

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @RKG1,

Thanks for following up.

We'd like to gather more information about the issue you're running into. How is your Roku device connected to your TV? When did this issue first start occurring? In addition, have you tried pressing the * on the remote, going down to audio, and turning leveling off?

Please keep us posted and we'll continue assisting you from there.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
RKG1
Reel Rookie

Hi Mary,

‘The ROKU is connected to the TV using the provided cable directly into the HDMI port.

This problem , as best I can recall, has been going on since November, maybe before.

I’ve never used the Leveling feature so it’s off.

Could it be the Menu Volume.I’ve tried High and Medium. Haven’t yet tried Low or Off? I’ll try Off next.

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @RKG1,

Thanks for keeping in touch and providing the additional information.

If this issue is not resolved with your Roku having a static sound, please let us know along with any additional information you may have that would be helpful for our team looks into this problem. Kindly include the serial number of your Roku device so we can assist further.

Once we have this information, I'll be able to pass it along to our Support team who can assist you further.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
RKG1
Reel Rookie

Hi Mary,

The units continue to blare volume and need to be adjusted by shutdown and reset.

The unit serial numbers are C338F862540 and C3388O137220. They are used on two different TV's. One a Samsung. the other an Olevia.

is it possible that this is a cable ploy to force me to buy their Digital Adapters? the cable is provided by Comcast

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @RKG1,

Thanks for letting us know all that you've done. We appreciate the troubleshooting steps you've done so far.

We're going to assign a member of our Support team to reach out to you via email. They will be assisting you from thereon.

If you need any additional help and we’ll follow up to continue assisting you.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos