Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MrXxx
Roku Guru

Re: Media Player Videos Stuttering after 11.5 update.

Jump to solution
atc98092Thanks for the reply. I actually had JUST downloaded and installed Mediainfo. I also had the sneaking suspicion that the issue might be audio related. I will take a look for a bit and let you know. Thanks for your help!
onn Roku 43" TV model 100012584 running version 12.0.0
Twenty plus years of online experience as a web developer, general user and consumer. Recording engineer. Sixty plus years of troubleshooting and problem solving in several fields. Here to help and get help when I have issues with Roku. Nothing more. Not here to socialize. That's what real life is for. 😉
0 Kudos
MrXxx
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Here's my system:

High Sierra (maxed out upgrade-wise)

Serviio Pro 2.5 Ethernet to the router

Roku Utlra: 4670X V 11.5.0 build 4312-46

Roku connected via wifi 5Ghz

BTW, the stuttering is only in the audio. My brain didn't pick up on that crucial detail at first. It's as if someone has their finger in the mute button tapping off and on in regular intervals.

Twenty plus years of online experience as a web developer, general user and consumer. Recording engineer. Sixty plus years of troubleshooting and problem solving in several fields. Here to help and get help when I have issues with Roku. Nothing more. Not here to socialize. That's what real life is for. 😉
0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

OK, using Serviio. That helps me, since I know it so well. Your version must be 2.3, as that is the latest available.

In the Serviio console, what profile has you assigned to your Ultra 4670? By default, Serviio assigns a basic profile that isn't well matched to newer players. I have never been able to get Serviio to assign a more appropriate profile, as the Roku RMP developer that used to be so helpful retired, and I never had that same ability to talk with the new person overseeing RMP. Your 4670 should be using the profile named "Roku 4K Media Player w/MPEG2". If you have issues with some audio formats not being supported by your TV, you can use the "Roku 4K TV", which transcodes a few more audio codecs. 

Note that if your home router habitually changes the IP address assigned to your Roku devices, it will revert to that basic Roku profile again. You can resolve that by adding an address reservation to your router, or at minimum extend the DHCP setting that controls how long an IP address is good for. It might be labeled Time to Live or Client Lease Time. But the reservation is the best way to ensure your Roku always has the same IP address.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
MrXxx
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

My bad. Yes it is Serviio 2.3. My eyes aren't what they used to be. I've done a lot of web developing. I'm rusty but when it comes to servers they're addresses are always static. Where can I find the profile on Mac? I don't see anything in the console and can't find anything in the app packages or Library folders.

It any rate, I think I finally did zero in on the issue. Comparing only two files I found one crucial difference in the sampling rate. The file that DOES play without stuttering has the industry standard sample rate 44.1. The file that stuttered was set to some other stupid rate. Once converted with Handbrake to 44.1, the file no longer stutters. It could be a one off but I highly doubt it. I've got several more files in the cue processing. If they all work, the problem is solved. It's just going to take a few weeks to fix the rest of them. I'll be back to report success or failure.

Still though. Where is that profile on Mac?

0 Kudos
MrXxx
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Second conversion worked so I'm declaring this the solution to THIS particular problem:

Audio stuttering in files:

MY particular issue: Audio stuttering as if muted regularly off and on. Video playing smoothly. Files not stuttering found to have audio sampling rate of 44.1. Files stuttering found to have sampling rates other than 44.1.

Handbrake used to convert sampling rate in audio to 44.1.

Problem solved.

Thanks to

EDIT: Seems MP4's with audio set to 48Khz are also working fine.
atc98092

Jump to solution

You can see the profile assigned to each player in the Serviio console, on the Status tab. You edit the profile by clicking the edit button at the far right of the row with the device. In the window that opens, click the Profile box and you will have a selection of profiles to choose from. Click the desired profile, then click OK to close the window. Finally, click Save at the bottom of the Status page and that profile will now be used for that device. 

Dan

MrXxx
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Awesome! Thanks!  I had forgotten where that was having seen it previously. Set it to what you suggested. Now to see if it may have helped with other files or issues. Thanks again!

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

Very happy you got it resolved. Non-standard things like sampling rates can certainly make a mess if the player isn't capable of handling it. Roku devices work well, as long as the media is within the parameters they support. I was amazed that they didn't support MPEG-2 video years ago, but when the patent expired they added it pretty quickly. I'm certain licensing costs is still what stops Roku from offering full audio bitstreaming, regardless of the codec or container. 

Dan