Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
breathe26
Reel Rookie

Manually Updating by USB with a black screen

Is there a way to manually update the TV software when the screen is black?  When going through the USB update instructions it requires a code from the tv but I have no access to it.  Back in January we ran into the same problem where the screen went black but was able to download the update and plug it into the tv and that fixed the problem.  Now I am unable to do this without viewing the screen.

I have already contacted TCL support and gone through all of their troubleshooting instructions and there is nothing they can do as we are out of warranty.  Updating the software is our last option.  Any help on getting my TV the current download would be much appreciated!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
15 REPLIES 15
breathe26
Reel Rookie

Re: Manually Updating by USB with a black screen

I just realized that I may have put this under the wrong topic.  Sorry.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Actually, yes you can update the firmware on a Roku TV using a USB drive. However, I believe you need to at least see the bouncing Roku logo on initial boot up. If the screen remains black even on initial power up, chances are it can't be restored. 

The reset button on the back of the set works a bit differently than a Roku player. On the TV, I believe it only takes pressing and holding the reset button for around 12 seconds to initiate a factory reset, instead of the 30 seconds needed for Roku players. But a factory reset might restore the TV. You'd have to go through the initial setup again, but at least it would be working. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Vakko
Roku Guru

@breathe26  If your cannot see the screen there is a hardware issue. How old is the TV? 

breathe26
Reel Rookie

It is about 3 years old. 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@breathe26 

If your RokuTV is configured to start on the Home Screen, then going to be difficult since you will be most likely flying blind, so Factory Reset as described by @atc98092 and crossing your fingers is probably best shot.

If your Roku TV is configured to start on a HDMI Input (cable box, game system, etc), then there is a chance you can plug another monitor into that corresponding HDMI port in order to see what you are doing. (laptop, another TV, etc).

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

atc98092

@breathe26 wrote:

It is about 3 years old. 

That's certainly what I would consider a recent TV. But the hardware question is valid. You might try a different HDMI port (assuming the TV has more than one), or a different TV if one is available, just to isolate the issue is with either the Roku or the TV.

Dan

Vakko
Roku Guru

@atc98092  This is a TCL Roku TV. They aren't using a Roku player

@breathe26  if it is 3 years old then it's out of TCLs factory warranty. Not sure what size it is but a 32" TCL Roku TV is only $150. Most likely you need to a new TV. Unfortunately. 

atc98092

@Vakko wrote:

@atc98092  This is a TCL Roku TV. They aren't using a Roku player

You're right. I overlooked that part. @breathe26 sorry, got ahead of myself with that response so ignore what I said. With a Roku TV, if you're not even seeing the bouncing Roku logo at initial power up (not just using the power button, but unplugging it and then plugging it back in), there's a hardware issue with your TV, and as noted it's out of warranty. I would still contact TCL and at least have a discussion with them. Sometimes manufacturers will still address an issue outside their "official" warranty timeframe.

Dan

breathe26
Reel Rookie

TCLs support has already informed me that there is nothing they can so unfortunately. They were the first ones I contacted. A hard reset did nothing but we did take a flashlight pointed to the screen and can see an extremely faint working image there. So I can verify that there is something there but maybe just not getting lit up properly?

0 Kudos