Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LFGSD
Reel Rookie

MLB app live stream is choppy after Roku Ultra update 13.0.0 build 24048 on 5/10/24

Jump to solution

Before update live streams were buttery smooth. After update live streams are choppy.

PIcture is still clear and resolution is great, but movement is jittery like its dropping frames or frame rate is not processing properly. No buffering or freezing, just overall rough/not smooth, consistently choppy.

Backup/pause game a few minutes or even watching archived games and same results.

Went through all troubleshooting steps provided online by Roku and MLB. Hard reset of Roku, uninstall/reinstall of MLB app, etc.. no dice.

Bandwidth is stable at 400+ Mbps.

MLB app on other non-Roku devices in the house are fine, buttery smooth. Streaming of same games simultaneously on other devices and they are perfectly smooth with great quality.

Also worth noting, the issue is not present streaming MLB games via other apps on same Roku unit. The MLB game last night on ESPN via Youtube.tv (on same Roku Ultra) was perfect, buttery smooth. 

Issue appears to be between Roku version 13.0.0 build 24048 and MLB app version 8.8.2.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
RokuJharra-Q
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: MLB app live stream is choppy after Roku Ultra update 13.0.0 build 24048 on 5/10/24

Jump to solution

Thank you for posting here in the Roku community, @WordyNikki!

Thank you for informing us about this issue. We would like to investigate further. Before we proceed, can you please confirm if the issue is happening with all channels or just one specific channel? Also, when did the issue first occur?

We recommend the following steps to help resolve the issue:

1. Uninstall the channel by highlighting it, pressing the * button, and selecting "remove".
  2. Clear cache and data: From the Roku home screen, navigate to Settings > System > Advanced system settings > Network connection reset. Choose "Reset connection" and then-
  3. Restart your Roku device by unplugging your TV and then plugging it back in. This step can help clear any temporary cache or data-causing issues.
  4. Check your internet connection: Ensure that your Roku device is connected to a stable internet connection. You can test your internet connection by going to Settings > Network > Check connection on your Roku device. If your connection is weak or unstable, try restarting your router or contacting your internet service provider for assistance.
  5. Reinstall the channel by pressing the home button on your Roku remote, scrolling and selecting "Store", and then adding the channel from there.
If you haven't tried any of the troubleshooting provided on our support page, here is how to resolve a channel playback issue. If you have applied this to no avail, please share the details below with us.

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About).
  • Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button five times, followed by the Back button five times, and provide us with this ID).
  • Channel version (highlight the channel tile, then press the * sign button on your device).
Upon receiving this information, we will pass it along to the appropriate Roku team for further investigation.

Thanks,
Jharra
Jharra Q.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
RokuJharra-Q
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: MLB app live stream is choppy after Roku Ultra update 13.0.0 build 24048 on 5/10/24

Jump to solution

Hi @Kemper34, thank you for keeping us updated.

We appreciate your cooperation and for trying all the troubleshooting steps mentioned in the thread. Please be advised that this issue is specific to the MLB app only. We strongly recommend that you contact their customer support team for further assistance and clarification. Most content on the Roku platform is provided and updated independently by the channel's providers.

Thanks,
Jharra

Jharra Q.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
19 REPLIES 19
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@LFGSD-

All of the similar reports I've seen re Roku 13.0 involved ten year old Roku 3 units running large apps like Netflix and Prime.  Is your Roku a Roku 3?  Settings/System/About will show you the model name and number.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
LFGSD
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Model 4802X - Roku Ultra

OS Version 13.0.0 build 24056-C2

MLB app version 8.8.2

One hunch is that there has not been enough memory allocated to the MLB app in Roku OS 13, so app is not able to cache necessary buffer for smooth playback.

This issue is very specific to the MLB app. All other apps are perfect as usual.

Thanks everyone for your feedback and suggestions.

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @LFGSD,

Greetings from the Roku Community, and thanks for raising this concern directly to us!

Please be aware that we have passed along your information to the appropriate Roku team for further.

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

Kind regards,
John

John
Roku Community Moderator
Prutastic2112
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I have noticed this happens to me also, but only when utilizing Private Listening through the remote or Roku app.

4800X - Roku Ultra 
Build 24056-C2
0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Prutastic2112,

Greetings from the Roku Community, and thanks for the additional information!

We want to investigate this issue you had with the MLB channel further since the live stream is choppy. Can you please provide the following details below?

• What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far?
  • When did the issue start?

With detailed information, we will be able to further investigate this problem.

Thanks,
John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Prutastic2112
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution
I have unplugged the Roku for 30 seconds and plugged it back in.

I have restarted the Roku from the main menu.

I have unplugged my internet router for 30 seconds and plugged it back in. My Roku is connected via ethernet.

I have Uninstalled and reinstalled the MLB app on Roku.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the Roku app on my phone.
0 Kudos
Prutastic2112
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Issue started when Roku update to version 13

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

We appreciate the information that you have provided to us, @Prutastic2112!

We would like to gather more information regarding this issue that you had with the MLB channel. Could you provide us with the Tracker ID by pressing the home button five times and the back button five times as well? What channel and what version or build is the channel (this can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)?

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team for further investigation.

Thanks,
John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Prutastic2112
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution
T1-209-919
MLB
Version 8.8 Build 2
0 Kudos