Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
op2500
Reel Rookie

Re: Loud buzzing/clicking audio when using Roku Media Player

I'm having the same issue.  What is most frustrating is that it worked fine in the past and only started experiencing this recently.  I also noticed that it is specific to devices connected via HDMI (Express and Premier) but works fine on a Streaming Stick (connected via USB).

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

@op2500 wrote:

I'm having the same issue.  What is most frustrating is that it worked fine in the past and only started experiencing this recently.  I also noticed that it is specific to devices connected via HDMI (Express and Premier) but works fine on a Streaming Stick (connected via USB).

Pretty sure your SS is also connected via HDMI (though powered by USB).

0 Kudos
op2500
Reel Rookie

Yes, that is correct. I should have stated that the issue is specific to those devices connected via an HDMI cable and not directly into the HDMI input on the television. 

JohnnyC

I have my entire DVD collection saved to a harddrive connected to my Roku Ultra. But ever since the latest May21 update, the sound crackles badly, or doesn't play at all when the file has more than one audio source (Stereo, or Surround). My audio is from the TV which is in Stereo, so files containing only stereo audio sources play and sound fine. I have tried changing the audio settings on the Roku, but either the crackling persists or there is no sound at all. When I remove the surround audio track from a test file, the Roku Media Player plays fine (Removing the surround track for every file is not a viable option given the size of our collection). I would like to revert back to the previous software/firmware, but I don't have that option. 

Roku, I need a solution

Cotanger

Thank you all for your comments so far, which were helpful to me in troubleshooting this new Roku behavior on my own setup.  It does appear the sound format used in the movie is what determines whether or not you get horrible audio clicking while playing the movie back via the Roku Media player. 

On my ancient Roku 3 with a tv set up only for stereo speakers, updating these TWO Roku settings got rid of the clicking for me, without adversely affecting playback on movies not yet affected.    Changing one or the other setting was not sufficient.

HDMI mode set to Dolby Digital, NOT automatic or PCM-stereo

Audio mode set to stereo, NOT automatic

0 Kudos
kstrtmn

I finally fixed my problem with the clicking sounds on our movies. Went into Settings, Audio, and changed the HDMI setting to Dolby Digital. It was on Auto detect before and now my movies are playing correctly.

0 Kudos
gk802
Roku Guru

Note that the above solution works only if the playback device is capable of receiving and decoding DD.  If the playback device requires PCM-Stereo, setting HDMI to Stereo is ineffective in resolving the buzzing/clicking.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

@kstrtmn wrote:

I finally fixed my problem with the clicking sounds on our movies. Went into Settings, Audio, and changed the HDMI setting to Dolby Digital. It was on Auto detect before and now my movies are playing correctly.

Be aware that any of the services that are DD+ exclusive for 5.1 (e.g. NetFlix, Prime, Hulu, Disney+) will no longer have 5.1 output when you set it to DD, so you'll want to make sure you toggle this setting when doing internet streaming versus local streaming.

0 Kudos
7fWo8QirCv
Channel Surfer

I've had a very loud buzzing sound, 4800X Ultra box, going into my sound bar very intermittently when powering on the TV, sound bar and the Roku Ultra box. It is loud, really loud. The solution I found was to power cycle the Roku Ultra box. However, I just changed the settings in Roku from audio automatic, to audio stereo. It seems to have cleared. BTW, the signal to the surround sound is via the optical interface. Your post gave me some ideas. Thanks!!!

0 Kudos