Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
technog
Reel Rookie

Losing sound but the pic stays on

Ive had my roku player for less than a year. Connected to my tv via a hdmi cable.

This issue has started happening a few weeks ago and happens quite often now.

My roku player sound stops working but picture continues playing.

I have tried switching to other channels, the sound remains off.

I have checking the volume levels. shows the volume is on AND that it is not muted.

I have tried pressing mute a couple of times, sound remains off while picture continues on.

I have tried to turn off the roku/tv for a minute or so. No difference. When I turn tv back on, sound remains off no matter what channel I select.

I have to unplug roku power cord from back of roku for a minute or so. This seems to be the only way to rectify situation. 

Its very annoying especially when watching live events!

How do I permanently fix this issue???

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
CelticsFan
Roku Guru

Re: Losing sound but the pic stays on

Which Roku model number do you own? Which channel does this happen on? How fast is your internet? Roku players do not turn on or off

0 Kudos
technog
Reel Rookie

Model 4800x. Name? It's not on the back. I think its the ultra and unit is less than a year old.

This loss of sound happens on any channel, as stated in my post.

Also, I don't know what you mean by rokus not going off by themselves. I didn't say that. What I said was that roku drops sound on its own. Whether on Netflix, YouTube TV or hbo app. The video continues running without sound.

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@technog 

This may take some time to troubleshoot. Here's why.

It could simply be that the device is bad. That's why they have warranties, to cover such things.

However, it's also possible that certain apps running don't close properly, and can cause issues with your Roku device.

First, ensure your screen saver is something really simple, such as the clock.

Next, ensure you manually check for updates a couple of times. If any update, or anything at all (Engaging Warp Drive, etc) happens, run it again until nothing at all happens during the update. Then, reboot the device using the menu system.

For troubleshooting purposes, pick a single app to watch. Something that you've wanted to binge anyway, if you have something like that, and for the next 24 hours, or until the issue arises, watch just that one app.

Here's where I'm going with this. It could be that an app doesn't close properly, as mentioned earlier. So, if you have only a single app open after it reboots, and a very simple screen saver running, then that reduces the likelihood of something like that. If the issue still occurs, repeat the steps the next day with a different app. If it happens on two days with two different apps (one app per day) then that pretty much determines it's the Roku device. If, however, at least one plays without issue, then you may have a buggy app that's screwing up your Roku. Then we'd need to figure out which one that is and how to deal with it.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos

When I first turn mine on, It has volume. Then all of the sudden the system wigs out and  no sound. I had this problem on another Roku and decided to upgrade to the Express, however, it is doing the exact same thing. I bought this new one and have tried to use it 3 times and it does the same thing every time.

I have tried EVERY solution/ trouble shotting and nothing! 

Is there a number I can call to actually talk to some one?

0 Kudos
RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Hi @kimberlydupuy17,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

I understand that you are experiencing an issue with your Roku device's sound. Does the issue only occur on a specific channel or all channels on your Roku device? What have specific troubleshooting steps been done to fix the issue?

We recommend checking out our Support page for troubleshooting issues here: What to do if you do not hear sound from your Roku® streaming player | Official Roku Support

Please keep us posted and we'll continue assisting you from there.

Best regards,
Karla